Shannon Sharpe says he only went to a HBCU cuz his grades were bad

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
And other HBCU's and props up the historic HBCU head coaches like Willie Jeffries, Eddie Robinson and Bill Davis. I mean ALOT. But a nikka in here seriously put him in the same boat as Jesse Lee Peterson. Like seriously that happened in this thread.
It’s crazy smh. Shannon’s story should be an inspiration. I don’t know how many folks ever been to Glennvillle, Ga but man ain’t shyt there NOW! I can’t imagine what it was like in 1987 or whatever year Shannon came out. He could’ve easily said fukk it and went to the military, or worked at a factory down there or something. He went to State and then ended up becoming one of the goats at his position in the nfl. Savannah State gave him a shot and you can tell he still appreciates it.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Nobody's implying that HBCUs are prestigious or superior

The point in all of this is how are black people ever gonna collectively build or elevate if our best talent continues to siphon over to the white side?

Especially considering one of the biggest knives in the heart of HBCUs is the NCAA

There's no black centered curation of black talent because they're all scattered off building white infrastructures. It further cements the fact that black people are treated as a natural resource to be poached from

Folks equated it to moving out the hood versus staying in the hood. HBCU academics ain't all dat, and the athletic programs are even less so, hence them being seen by some as less prestigious.
:dwillhuh:

it's because the HBCU luster of the 70s and 80s is gone. Scandals, lax standards, and a lack of funding/misappropriation of funds helped cause that.
:francis:

I mean me and my siblings coulda been 3rd gen legacies at an HBCU but we both took academic scholarships at bigger/more prestigious schools that just so happened to be PWI.
:manny:

One thing coli militants ignore is how much networking matters, and going to a bigger private or state school means a bigger alumni network.

Unless your hiring personnel are black, nobody cares you went to an HBCU and don't know how to move around cacs in the workplace.
:rudy:

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
There are and most people who attend HBCUs will admit this. shyt is what it is. You can still take pride in an HBCU but outside of a select few, many have major issues and lack the needed support. I went to an SCSU game recently and the stands were so empty it reminded me of a HS of a small shytty school. Now if I'm a stud HS athlete, why the fukk would I prefer that over 50,000 fans on national TV and more exposure?? It was so empty I almost wanted to cry for those kids. The pic below is from the actual game I attended. Now compare it to the SEC school up the road who is super average and was playing a bum ass UNCC team. It's a reason when Prime went to JSU he had to keep pleading with the fans and students to stop hanging outside and actually come into the stadium and cheer on the team. But oh now, how DARE a football player say they would have went to a PWI over HBCU.

601daf42c0d33_image.jpg

VS

maxresdefault.jpg

Yup. I went to hampton and our equipment and facilities are better than other hbcus but nothing compared to pwi.

Only time the stands were full is during homecoming and when we played our rivals Howard and Norfolk St

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Folks equated it to moving out the hood versus staying in the hood. HBCU academics ain't all dat, and the athletic programs are even less so, hence them being seen by some as less prestigious.
:dwillhuh:

it's because the HBCU luster of the 70s and 80s is gone. Scandals, lax standards, and a lack of funding/misappropriation of funds helped cause that.
:francis:

I mean me and my siblings coulda been 3rd gen legacies at an HBCU but we both took academic scholarships at bigger/more prestigious schools that just so happened to be PWI.
:manny:

One thing coli militants ignore is how much networking matters, and going to a bigger private or state school means a bigger alumni network.

Unless your hiring personnel are black, nobody cares you went to an HBCU and don't know how to move around cacs in the workplace.
:rudy:
What school you went to?

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
When people here turn against somebody, it's emotional knee-jerk stuff.
Everything that happened before then is forgotten, so that people can deliver emotional rants.

Speaking of knee jerk, BOOKMARK this thread. In a few weeks, same people throwing him under the team bus and calling him names" will be back to promoting his show and content again. And treating him like a hero when he says something they agree with.
Never take MFers here seriously.
Naw Shannon be c00nin, I stand on my shyt

Kanye has been called more for less

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Bro I would’ve went to SC State if I could go back and redo it. They have such a dedicated student/alumni section. I still need to get down there to attend a homecoming.
Yes, homecoming is lit af. I'm a Bulldog since I can remember, back to Willie Jeffries days, Michael Hicks and Duane Harper. y favorite college football team. Man it was one of the best days of my life seeing them beat JSU in the dome last year. Of course we didn't have as many fans their as JSU but we did show up and show out. One of the proudest days of my life.

:mjcry:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I feel u family I ain’t arguing against that fasho

But it’s a lil weird to me to blanket HBCU’s like that u feel me, admissions to Morehouse and Howard ain’t the same as NSU and VSU
I agree, and of course it depends on the program you're entering, as some of those schools are at the top based on their specialty programs.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
You're making up shyt and doing the same knee jerk emotional comment I alluded to. When Sharpe says that slavery was a choice or mocks the murder of George Floyd...you tag me.
U makin shyt up Ye ain’t never mock George Floyd death

U get your info from media sources with no vet, Shannon would condemn Kyrie but stay quite about Jerry Jones

Keep caping for this c00n

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
It’s crazy smh. Shannon’s story should be an inspiration. I don’t know how many folks ever been to Glennvillle, Ga but man ain’t shyt there NOW! I can’t imagine what it was like in 1987 or whatever year Shannon came out. He could’ve easily said fukk it and went to the military, or worked at a factory down there or something. He went to State and then ended up becoming one of the goats at his position in the nfl. Savannah State gave him a shot and you can tell he still appreciates it.
Talks about SSU all the time and gives them props. TURNED down the fukking chance to go to Miami after his sophomore season to stay at Savannah State. Bu bu but a c00n!!! :russ: