SEVERANCE

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
I like the show but I don't get the dikkriding :yeshrug:
I feel like lots of plots were picked up and dropped out of nowhere and none of the big mysteries were solved. Also, up until it looked like he was looking into Lumon Falcone's storyline has been boring. I liked the show though
4/5

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
They fukking nailed the season finale. Every reveal, every scene. My only complaint, which I started thinking about 4-5 episodes ago is...I kinda dread this getting future seasons. What I mean is this is such a great idea and the season was damn near flawless, but my fear is that a second (or third, or fourth) season will fall into that typical trap where it becomes more about worldbuilding than resolving the story and characters. Especially in an era where it seems like most TV/film media is obsessed with milking out as much content as possible, expanding every minor plot point, creating prequels, etc.

I could be 100% wrong. They haven't missed yet so why assume they're gonna miss with future seasons right? But you can kinda see where it's going, and a lot of it is gonna basically be expanding the world. The senator and his wife becoming central characters. Seeing the board in person. All things that will likely be added on top of the show when there are basic things we don't even know yet, like what do the employees actually do? What are they producing for the company? For a portion of the season there was this big push to find other departments, figure out what was going on etc...and then that kinda got sidelined by "let's escape" and we never got back to it.

Again though, great show and an amazing finale. I just hope we don't get a Lost situation where you're just piling new shyt on top of unresolved shyt until it's time for the rushed finale.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
So a few observations I had:

-Irving must have been severed twice right? He had all this info on everyone. Why did he keep going to work without an understanding of how he could actually investigate? Did he just keep going in hopes of his innie fukking everything up again? I’m willing to bet he was part of the original massacre in the paintings and Lumon led him to find it so that maybe it would discourage him and get him back on track?

-Remember Petey said there were people down there that were permanently Severed. Clearly Gemma is one of them. But is she brain dead like y’all say or is she kept hostage for whatever purpose this company has?

-What was with the whole 1960s motif? The furniture, the computers, the fukking melon balls. Very Mad Men ish for a reason.

-I really wanna know what the card is for that Dylan stole. I’m way more intrigued by that than the goats.

-I think Lumon is trying to take over the world in the name of their cult. It makes sense why dude essentially sacrificed his daughter to prove how safe it was. There were way more settings than just “overtime” and i bet some of them have a level of mind control involved.

-Also, how do these nikkas go back to work after this? There’s no plausible narrative reason for us to ever see those innies again right, which bums me out a little. Everything has to break out in the real world now. I can’t see this being more than 3 seasons.

Last edited:

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
-Also, how do these nikkas go back to work after this? There’s no plausible narrative reason for us to ever see those innies again right, which bums me out a little. Everything has to break out in the real world now. I can’t see this being more than 3 seasons.

I'm guessing outie Mark would find out from his sister that his wife is still alive down there. That would be his motivation to go back to work

Dylan Outie has no clue so he would go back to work

Hely outie might be trying to please her father still after what her innie did

Irv I don't know.. very curious to hear the conversation after Burt answers his door

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA

-Irving must have been severed twice right? He had all this info on everyone. Why did he keep going to work without an understanding of how he could actually investigate? Did he just keep going in hopes of his innie fukking everything up again? I’m willing to bet he was part of the original massacre in the paintings and Lumon led him to find it so that maybe it would discourage him and get him back on track?

-Remember Petey said there were people down there that were permanently Severed. Clearly Gemma is one of them. But is she brain dead like y’all say or is she kept hostage for whatever purpose this company has?

-What was with the whole 1960s motif? The furniture, the computers, the fukking melon balls. Very Mad Men ish for a reason.

-I really wanna know what the card is for that Dylan stole. I’m way more intrigued by that than the goats.

-I think Lumon is trying to take over the world in the name of their cult. It makes sense why dude essentially sacrificed his daughter to prove how safe it was. There were way more settings than just “overtime” and i bet some of them have a level of mind control involved.

Wasn’t the woman Mark met the creator of the severed tech? She helped Petey merge minds?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

This is one of those shows where the drop easter eggs here and there, but there's plenty that has to be revealed unless you feel like going into the weeds and really digging into the lore so far.

It's clear that the severance procedure is being used for other scenarios outside of the work life balance use case. The people that never leave are likely "dead" in a sense, the details around what that means have yet to be shared. The show has that eerie surreal tone to it, the criteria for the people that don't leave could be a wide range of fukked up shyt.
:lupe:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Wasn’t the woman Mark met the creator of the severed tech? She helped Petey merge minds?
I'm guessing outie Mark would find out from his sister that his wife is still alive down there. That would be his motivation to go back to work

Dylan Outie has no clue so he would go back to work

Hely outie might be trying to please her father still after what her innie did

Irv I don't know.. very curious to hear the conversation after Burt answers his door
I mean from Lumon’s perspective? Why would you let any of these nikkas come back when they know way too much. You basically gotta scarp their whole department and start from scratch.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I mean from Lumon’s perspective? Why would you let any of these nikkas come back when they know way too much. You basically gotta scarp their whole department and start from scratch.
That's what ol' girl told Hally before she went on stage. "You'll go away, but your friends will be kept and they'll suffer"

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Cause that would be admitting Helly’s version is true.

The Severance tech is controversial. Closing the wagons is the opposite of what they want.

I don’t think the team would be put back together. And I’m not sure Helly’s outtie likes the technology either.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA

I think that’s just the aesthetic of the show in general. They mentioned apps but their cars are all pre2000 models. The phones are flip. There are no airpods or flat screens tvs. Petey’s funeral has a giant 90s tv.

it creates a timeless feel like Batman the animated series.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Your last point is super important. There’s no going back after this, which is why the last few episodes have essentially just covered one day - planning the escape, Dillon getting into the room, turning them “on” in real life etc. And next season will presumably start on that same day/night. Mark still at the party, Helle at the banquet, Irving at Burt’s door, Dillon presumably being punished. But like…are Mark/Helle/Irving gonna simply go to sleep after this shyt, wake up and go to work? Probably not.

Mark’s sister and brother in law will have heard him say “she’s alive” and even after he wakes up with no memory, they’ll see the picture he’s holding and put 2 and 2 together. Are they gonna want him to go back to work tomorrow? Or will they try to reach out to a journalist ASAP. Interesting choices.