[Serious] Why do most black men keep short hair?

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
It's because it's easier to "manage" :dame:

Also because of what women are attracted to. Unless you have a good hairline and a certain overall look :dame:women won't be choosing unless you keep it low.

alot of chicks dont even care about some damn mens hair . nikkas just like to be damn near bald

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
Allg, ex-military get a pass.

Interesting I just thought about that. AA hair with receding hair line is much more obvious than a Cacs/Asians, because cacs hair fall over in front which can cover the receding hairline. Fair point, however that still doesn't explain the 80% figure. Can't be 80% black men are receding like Kobe...

Norms change over time and where you are located. Like next time you watch a period piece movie like Malcolm X take note of the hair next time you watch the news take note of the hair. In certain areas Black men like White Men actually brush their hair back instead of forward. Most politicians and news people keep their hair even though it doesn’t see the sunshine until a week after their forehead but they never get ridiculed about it. Also being bald in some areas is seen as untrusting so maybe that adds to it. Being bald is political.

Malcolm X is a great black man hair movie in how it goes into detail in the history of our hair up to the mid 60’s. The fact that men made their own relaxer and texturizer at home is wild. Haircuts didn’t have line ups. Black men sometimes had to resort to white barbers. I’m of the belief that haircutting equipment became more universal as a money play post segregation. Natural Black men hair stands up in the movie.

The Taper style of going low on the sides and back would be a very manageable cut especially considering how the lower hair wouldn’t nap as much so you would only brush the top. Imagine the discipline to get 360 waves now all you brushing is the top.

from where we were to where we are for a long time the black man tried to find ways to manage their hair and we have come from literal dark ages to today but we are still learning and exploring ourselves. Things that seem good probably won’t be down the road like always getting crisp crisp lineups then washing your hair exponentially pushing your shyt back. The best thing to do is find what works for you and during the process be strong because the struggle is horrible. Like if you brushing your hair and it won’t go down because it’s a cowlick it’s at higher risk to go away if a barber cuts it especially at a different angle that right there fukked my hairline a lot at the corner before genetics but I’m going to use this winter to figure out if I want to be a 1 and half guard guy or a 1 guard guy.

But regardless of all of the the best guaranteed things for black men and their hair is sunshine,water, good food, exercise, rest, and management of stress. That’s why I’m the summer and spring if you live in a place with seasons you probably feel extra great during those times.

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
ive had braids for half of my life and that shyt is a chore between being tender headed and having rough texture, id rather keep it short

i remember being tender headed and hiding the combs when it was time to get braided lol . Mom would threaten to use a fork if i didnt retrieve those combs

wasnt until I was like 14 that I LIKED getting braided, shyt feels so goood from the parting to the combing/brushing , to the braiding

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I'm bald now I ain't got no choice...:pachaha: I had twists a long time ago but it's alot of work to manage... I've always kept it low...:manny:

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
Its actually the opposite for me

I kept my hair low a majority of my life until the quarantine this year.

My hair hasn't been this healthy (ever) and my hairline came back with this taper fro I've been rocking since May.

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
Because I have the perfect head shape to keep it short or bald. You goofy head shaped nikkas better pray you have the Jalen Rose hairline for life.:russ:
If my shyt ever starts to do the Stevie Wondee it’s over with for me with skully shape :wow:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Why do most black men keep their hair super short? At least in the US/West, it's something that hit me really recently.

Our ancestors never had an issue with growing out their hair. If you look at photos of colonial Africa or even depictions of Africans many centuries ago, black men always sported afros or grew their hair out significantly longer than what the norm is today. You don't even have to go that far back, black men grew their hair out just as recently 60s-70s.

What changed?

I really don't claim to have the answers but let me throw up some ideas I've had;
Black hair grown out is seen as 'unprofessional' & 'savage' by white folk. There are countless lawsuits against employers for hair discrimination against black men & women. I'm sure everyone reading this has a story whether its with them or someone they know. This discrimination takes place as early as school where it's drilled into black children that their hair is savage and needs to be cut down to look 'normal'. Personally I like typical West African kinky hair, its a shame that the look is tamed by shaving it almost bald.

Even black professionals advise black men to keep their hair short if they want to be taken seriously.

I can't think of any other reasons, anyone reading please feel free to chime in. It really can't be that 80% of black men just happen to like to keep their hair at level 1-3.

Are black men ashamed of their hair?

Please no trolling, serious answers only.

1. Anti-black hair work standards & norms is the biggest one. Virtually anything specific to black hair for many reasons is looked at as unprofessional. However, the CROWN Act is aiming to make workplace discrimination against hairstyles a federal crime. Certain jobs, like plant/construction work, its required for virtually everyone. But yes this is the single biggest reason.

2. While I get your point more and more men ARE growing their hair out. Natural hair is trending upwards. But I personally thing Gen Z going back to the short hair is just a rejection of Millennial style...that's normal. Every generation does something seemingly opposite to the one before.

3. Beards. Like real shyt. When beards became fashionable again head hair became less influential. Black men, in my observation, care much more for their beards than head hair.

I just cut my dreads off because I didn't want any hairline damage. So I'm regrowing but keeping them shorter.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
:francis:

There is some truth to this. A lot of carribeans will say that long hair on men is feminine. Even heard one say that we shouldn't grow afros because of police prejudice

:hhh:

And if some of y'all weren't aware, they are trying to ban locs in Jamaica.

They think clean cut is the only acceptable look for us and will keep us from experiencing discrimination smh.