[Serious] Why do most black men keep short hair?

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's how a lot of people were raised. Braids came into style when I was in late middle school to early high school but my moms and grandparents made me get my hair cut every two weeks. My grandparents would especially look at my hair with disgust if it was growing out and bug me to get it cut. I didn't realize until my mid twenties that my hair was curly as hell, naturally locked up and and got long as hell. I'm still kicking myself for not letting my hair grow as a kid and in my teens. I could have done so much with it that other people weren't doing.

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
I’d say young black men are wearing their hair out with the nappy look or dreads more than ever in the past few years. I had dreads in my late teens and early twenties. Wasn’t until I cut them off that I realized how much better having low cut hair was. I kept a bald fade from then on up til quarantine. My hairline had been getting more washed and I had already been having my barber give me the “one hair from bald”. After a month and half without a cut I just bought what I need to cut myself bald. Most freeing feeing ever. I stay crispy for the free now.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
It's how a lot of people were raised. Braids came into style when I was in late middle school to early high school but my moms and grandparents made me get my hair cut every two weeks. My grandparents would especially look at my hair with disgust if it was growing out and bug me to get it cut. I didn't realize until my mid twenties that my hair was curly as hell, naturally locked up and and got long as hell. I'm still kicking myself for not letting my hair grow as a kid and in my teens. I could have done so much with it that other people weren't doing.
U2cysZ4.png

Basically my elementary/junior high years. I really was :flabbynsick:, cause i had to fight to get my flattop

Later on in life, i had to dial it back down...

for this guy's paycheck
angry-man-transparent-18.png
U2cysZ4.png

I did keep facial hair for my sanity

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
you asking this from the same website that has repeatedly stated that a Black man rocking his natural hairline is a c00n

if you don't get a lineup you are apparently not Black enough... how ironic is that?

these nikkaz are ashamed of their nappy headed natural selves. that's a fact

Osman

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Society also considers it more presentable so that plays a big part.
Also natural hair was frowned upon in American society.

This is what I suspected. Is everyone just happy to let society (aka cacs) tell them how they should groom themselves?

...my moms and grandparents made me get my hair cut every two weeks. My grandparents would especially look at my hair with disgust if it was growing out and bug me to get it cut.

Is this not a form of self hatred or at the very least shows a lack of pride and shame of their natural hair?

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
First time ever growing my hair long, ingot some twists going. It's definitely harder to maintain and the itchy scalp is kinda real. But it's not bad

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
Im working a corporate job (Project Manager) and my locs are 30"+ long

I keep em neat tho
:ufdup:

Look brehs, having long hair is like a super power to these women too. They wanna play in it, and touch on it, and get way too close to you for it. You know women ain't got no game so they always use "how long have you been growing your hair?" as an ice breaker.

Grow your hair out if you can. They love it mane.
:blessed:

Last edited: