Serena Williams on the Steubenville Rape case: "I'm not blaming the girl, but..."

little4209

All Star
Daps
I love Serena but I don't agree with what she said...it's just sick to blame the victim...any victim, child or adult..rather than us taking responsibility for our own actions and learning some damn self control, we blame the victim, wow...

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Well, she didn't really phrase it like that. I took it more as, underage kid plus alcohol is a bad cocktail. I understand what she meant. She's looking at it in terms of... If girl was sober, she wouldn't have been made easy prey which is true to some degree.

Nah, it's just victim blaming, breh. Sober or drunk that doesn't give the dudes any right to violate the girl. And it's a party where you're meant to have fun and drink your ass off.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps

What it looks like to me is it wasn't a situation of ol' gurl got what was coming "no matter what" as you said...she mentioned that situation may have been accelerated by other factors that put shed a different light on it (i.e., her being "slipped something").

And nobody would say "being drunk is an invitation to gang rape", but we all know it has often been a conduit to rape (gang or otherwise) among the wrong company...and the wrong company would definitely include people who try to get underage people knock down drunk.

It's messed up what happened to ol' gurl, but she is partially to blame for it.

How in God's name is she partially to blame for being slipped a date rape drug, raped, pissed on, nutted and then mocked and ridiculed afterwards?

street heat

merchant of death
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why doesn't she remember ? they slipped her somethi
ng or she's hiding something

No_bammer_weed

Daps
We are aware that she had one drink that was tainted which meant that she was drugged, right?

Didnt even know this, but it makes sense given how she was completely incapacitated for hours, and it makes blaming her even more disgusting and inhuman.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
How in God's name is she partially to blame for being slipped a date rape drug, raped, pissed on, nutted and then mocked and ridiculed afterwards?

If memory serves me correctly (it's been some time since I came across this story), didn't these guys have a rep for doing this to girls in this town?

JackBrannigan

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Serena is right and wrong - mostly wrong, but yeah. There is a reason we talk about the actions of victims. To an extent, people can keep themselves out of some trouble. Prevention is the best medicine for anything. And this is something we should be able to openly talk about without people freaking out. Most rapes are perpetrated by people the victim knows and often times violence (beyond the rape) is not involved. This doesn't shift any "guilt" towards the victim. It's just as simple saying "if not for a, then b doesn't happen." Females need to know that a lot of guys are capable of this sort of thing and how to shut it down or avoid it.

With that said, this never takes away the guilt of the offenders. Any a$$hole that can do this sort of thing deserves everything they have coming.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Nah, it's just victim blaming, breh. Sober or drunk that doesn't give the dudes any right to violate the girl. And it's a party where you're meant to have fun and drink your ass off.
Nah it's not just victim blaming its personal accountability blaming if anything. Nobody is never at fault anymore and just because it shouldn't be done doesn't mean that's how it's going to play out. Cats shouldn't run up in your house or steal your car but if you keep leaving your door unlocked somebody might steal your shyt. Doesn't make it right but you should try to limit your chances best you can to take L's. I don't get why shyt ain't this simple but nope cats on some "victim blame" dumb shyt. We tell people this in every other type of situation but this is some type of different :aicmon:

No_bammer_weed

Daps
Nah it's not just victim blaming its personal accountability blaming if anything. Nobody is never at fault anymore and just because it shouldn't be done doesn't mean that's how it's going to play out. Cats shouldn't run up in your house or steal your car but if you keep leaving your door unlocked somebody might steal your shyt. Doesn't make it right but you should try to limit your chances best you can to take L's. I don't get why shyt ain't this simple but nope cats on some "victim blame" dumb shyt. We tell people this in every other type of situation but this is some type of different :aicmon:

I agree. All women should stay inside, day and night, and never leave the house. If they do leave the house and attend a social gathering, then thats a complete lack of personal responsibility on her part, and she deserves to be brutally raped and assaulted by multiple men, and humiliated for it afterwards.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps

So leaving your door unlocked means you're asking to be robbed?

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The girl should have known better. It doesn't make what the accused did right but she played a role in it as well. Why the hell are you drinking to the point of blacking out as a teenager? :dahell:

If the girl was black Serena's thoughts would have been expressed thousands of times already with not one fukk of backlash given.

It's funny how people on here away take up for white women and make excuses for them. But I bet they would be the same people shytting on the girl if she was black.

JackBrannigan

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So leaving your door unlocked means you're asking to be robbed?
It means your'e not taking a precaution against it. A precaution that many know you should take. Nobody blames a homeowner when they get robbed. Rape is a peculiar crime because the victim's thoughts or actions are questioned. And that sucks. But victimology has a purpose for people. It can keep people safer in the future. It understandably gets people heated when you talk about a despicable event where real people are involved. But it is valuable and shouldn't be attacked like it is. On the other hand, people need to use tact when talking about victims and maybe use hypothetical situations. What happens then is it doesn't seem as real. It's a tightrope.