Secret Invasion on Disney Plus starring Samuel L Jackson (out June 21st)

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Saw the finale. The problem with this show is that there were no stakes. We know Fury isn’t gonna die. We know they’re not killing of the Targaryen chick so the death fakeout was silly. Nobody cares about Talos and Maria Hill.

Also why did they shoehorn a love story for Fury? We don’t give af about his Skrull wife. So what he’s a freaky ass nikka… I’m supposed to care about a wife he barely sees ? She’s another character that we knew they wouldn’t kill.

I give this a 6/10
There were stakes. They just didn’t match what people were doing.

This was obviously a personal story of Gravik, Gi’ah Talos, and Fury. But the show obscured it with a silly nuke the planet spy romp so they could showcase some not exotic location hopping

Gravik should have been a better Fury, showcasing the old man Fury part but Gravik’s plan made no sense(but would have if it was just about getting the Harvest from jump)

I mean Fury never actually explained or apologized for not getting them a home.
Asgard ain’t do crap for Earth outside of Thor but Asgard got a small community.

Skrulls get nothing?

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
God, this last episode was ATROCIOUS. like, one of the worst episodes of a show i've seen in years. i'm not even done with the battle of the captain marvel frankensteins...this fukkin SUCKS...and the CGI is appalling.

Facts...:snoop: Im a big MCU head and im sorely disappointed with how the entire series went... should have been more than 6 episodes. and answered questions about the skrulls... like it left so many questions instead!!!...:dead:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it me or does every show pander to women now ?
Yes. It's a major part of what ruined the industry

Men have walked away en masse because everything has "Men are bad, women are the greatest" written all over it

Nikkas have been in denial (you see it in a lot of older MCU threads) for years but we see where everything has fallen :francis:

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
The supposed premier spy on the planet is progressive enough to not just go interracial with his chosen spouse...but interspecies. Hundreds of millions spent on what's pretty much a limited issue comic series badly transferred to video - one of Marvel's most major events that was a whole multi flagship crossover event, by the way - but they made sure to plant that idea into the mix to titillate the masses.

Seems legit. :unimpressed:

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The show's highlights are the 2-hander dialogue scenes & acting, and they made the series worth checking out. Loved that shyt.

I think this would have been stronger without shoehorning super skrulls into it at all, and also if they didn't fumble the scale with tell instead of show the same way the told but didn't show Fury's trauma post-blip.

With Fury's blip PTSD, Hill, Talos, Pricilla, Gravik, fake Rodey, etc... all kept telling us how Fury changed after the blip and wasn't the same person anymore, and Fury isn't the type of person who'd give that shyt up, so we're just taking everyone at their word. A flashback scene or two could show that trauma from Nick's POV and give it some legs instead of being told it over and over again, but the closest we get to Nick explaining what he was going through wasn't even Nick.

And it's literally a 'secret invasion'- it's people being replaced behind the scenes but to then flip it to overt events and have international crises, assassination attempts, nuclear launches and Fury being the most wanted man in the world that you only see from your 'behind the scenes' principal characters, you lose the scale of this being a world crisis at all. You prevent the assassination attempt behind the scenes and you don't end up with the lapse of logic of scenes- like Fury bringing the president to the hospital and guarding him alone, then ducking out when the skrull he's protecting the president from shows up, to only show back up after a day & a costume change and shoot that skrull anyway- when you bring large scale events back into the shadows with your principal characters alone. You keep it on the QT/subterfuge level and you can write those same scenes and conflicts but within a context that makes sense. Like if Fury's still trying to protect the skrulls he's allied with so he can't even expose the ones doing dirt so he can't pop fake Rodey and have him green out in a public hospital- but you can't run with that if dying Talos is already being scapegoated for the assassination attempt on international news.

The concept would be much better served if the machinations of their attempts are subtle and the conflicts are in stopping this hidden hand's manipulations instead of the conflicts being big fights and large scale events. Plus that plays into the show's strengths with the acting/dialogue.

and the super skrull shyt is treating powers the way they did w/ Deadpool in X-Men Origins Wolverine. Just dumb. Everyone's powers right in their DNA? Drax's tattoos in his DNA? Carol's tesseract imbued powers can be replicated from replicating her DNA? Knows how to straight up say 'Sleep." like Mantis even though no one on Earth witnessed her catch-phrase? Plus she'd be grabbing Gravik and just start feeling his feelings without knowing how these 8 second old powers worked. But, no, both of them have every Marvel power ever fully realized and weaponized on deck at will from a lil DNA dollop. That is some Silver Age comic/pre-MCU writing there.

I've enjoyed the majority of phase 4-5 stuff that many criticized but when they make glaring logic mistakes is where they lose me.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Welcome to the side that makes sense
It’s funny because I see people in this thread trying to rationalizing this show and acting like they enjoyed it. I was like that once with the MCU during this final phase, not able to come to terms with how such shyt quality the whole offering is

we had people in this thread going :krs: over that embarrassingly poor shoot out scene on the side of the road with the president. I think someone here compares it to the Heat shootout :dead:

that scene looked terrible and it was nonsensical. MCU is dead to me right now; there isn’t anything to be excited about. It’s sad but true because I used to be invested in this. It’s rubbish at this point

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Episode brought back that Winter Soldier feeling. :leon:

Nick Fury engaging in Heat-lite shootouts :wow: Bodies getting blown back

Rhodey told that secret service cac with the arm in the sling to get the door for him. Don't forget his breath mint, too. :dead:
sorry to pick on this post but :dead: at comparing that scene to Heat or this show to Winter Solider

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
I swear the scripts to this fukking awful Marvel shyt is now being AI generated, and they're just switching the dialogue up after to throw people off the scent. This is absolutely souless:scust:

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
It’s funny because I see people in this thread trying to rationalizing this show and acting like they enjoyed it. I was like that once with the MCU during this final phase, not able to come to terms with how such shyt quality the whole offering is

we had people in this thread going :krs: over that embarrassingly poor shoot out scene on the side of the road with the president. I think someone here compares it to the Heat shootout :dead:

that scene looked terrible and it was nonsensical. MCU is dead to me right now; there isn’t anything to be excited about. It’s sad but true because I used to be invested in this. It’s rubbish at this point
The shows that everyone hates on have been the best written and even they weren't that good

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
There were stakes. They just didn’t match what people were doing.

This was obviously a personal story of Gravik, Gi’ah Talos, and Fury. But the show obscured it with a silly nuke the planet spy romp so they could showcase some not exotic location hopping

Gravik should have been a better Fury, showcasing the old man Fury part but Gravik’s plan made no sense(but would have if it was just about getting the Harvest from jump)

I mean Fury never actually explained or apologized for not getting them a home.
Asgard ain’t do crap for Earth outside of Thor but Asgard got a small community.

Skrulls get nothing?

I hear you. The bigger issue from jump is that it's hard to make an interesting storyline in this universe with hundreds of people who can shape shift. WTF was taking them so long to takeover the world!?!? It wasn't clear what the limitations to their powers are. Doesn't seem like any. They can be anyone and even have super strength.

You give me 3 shapeshifting nikkas and I promise we can take over the White House by Tuesday.