SCOTUS Watch Thread

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's crazy how Ginsburg's pride monumentally impacted the US. Though I wonder if with a 5-4 court, things would have not been the same anyway

She's a major factor but, it's not just on her. There should be laws in place to prevent Supreme Court nominations from being weaponized. There should be an orderly process that's as ironclad as possible. Honestly, there should be a separate agency that handles nominations, no different than the OMB or the FTC or the Department of Justice. It should not just be senators. They are biased. The same way we appointed Lina Khan or Shalonda Young or Merrick Garland, there needs to be some group that deals with nominations or at least to oversee them and investigate improper behavior. Mitch McConnell delayed Obama getting a SC nomination for an ENTIRE YEAR then when it was advantageous for him, picked a SC judge in two weeks.

That is disgusting. There should be laws for this. In a just world, McConnell would have been investigated and stripped of his seat.

Our system is flawed.

Last edited:

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
She's a major factor but, it's not just on her. There should be laws in place to prevent Supreme Court nominations from being weaponized. It should be an orderly process that's as ironclad as possible. Honestly, there should be a separate agency that handles nominations, no different than the OMB or the FTC or the Department of Justice. It should not just be senators. They are biased. The same way we appointed Lina Khan or Shalonda Young or Merrick Garland, there needs to be some group that deals with nominations or at least to oversee them and investigate improper behavior. Mitch McConnell delayed Obama getting a SC nomination for an ENTIRE YEAR then when it was advantageous for him, picked a SC judge in two weeks.

That is disgusting. There should be laws for this. In a just world, McConnell would have been investigated and stripped off of his seat.

Our system is flawed.
Term limits… 20 years and out… implemented now which would bush roberts, Thomas and Alito

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
You're overly hopeful here. This shyt works at a college administration completely dedicated to getting more Black students in at every level. But colleges/universities that were only doing it half-heartedly are going to stop. Even at left-wing schools, all you need is someone to cause an issue at one part in the hierarchy (the president, the head of admissions, the admissions officers themselves), and the black students won't get in.
Exactly. Take a look at this:

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
How, when today's ruling explicitly states exactly how universities can continue to consider race in applications? Harvard already called the bluff:

Can I imagine a DeSantis type attempting to punish universities for using this clear loophole? Sure. But considering that most noteworthy things DeSantis has done have been slapped down by courts for violating the law, I'm not particularly worried about him or others having legal standing to outright disobey a Supreme Court ruling.

(Ironically earlier today, his big "don't let Chinese people purchase land in Florida" bill was shot down by the courts for violating the constitution)

They will make it uncomfortable for these schools though:

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
The degree of racism in the hearts of some of these conservatives is fukking wild.

I read that he was pushing racist anti-immigrant shyt even when he was a kid in school.
I dont think yall realize how far right Republicans are. Pedro Gonzalez is one of the major staffers for the DeSantis campaign. Last week the TRUMP team helped publish an article showing that Pedro Gonzalez was sending DMs to other right wing people about putting black men and jews in gas chambers.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
They will make it uncomfortable for these schools though:

So they get taken to court and specifically cite Roberts' loophole, then what? Seems pretty clear cut what the ruling says and its in favor of universities. I do expect more Asians to throw a fit, of course. But unless Roberts gets replaced by a right wing judge willing to revisit and eliminate that loophole...?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Term limits doesn't solve the problem. It could even make it worse bc of it's random nature.

The only idea that will ever work is to win elections. Which means running better candidates and proposing/implementing better ideas.
Dems need to win majorities and limit the scope of judicial review. That would work better as expanding the court ain’t happening.

Congress has powers over the judiciary. It’s time that Congress took those powers back.