SCOTUS Watch Thread

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I have to believe those universities with its heavy endowments will probably do the same.

Like I said above, college folks will find a way to keep most of the single digit Black and Latino enrollment.

The Asian enrollment will bump up a bit, and maybe the "mediocre white girl" will decline a bit.

But keep in mind, Colleges have been moving away from "objective" tests for a few years.

That's not good news for the Asians at all. (Or women in general)

Now they're not gonna be picked for other reasons.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
You can't stop someone behind closed doors from pulling strings yes

But removing the question from the app is a start
right, but the random "legacy" - someone whose parent happened to go there but hasn't been of any consequence to the university, doesn't really have a leg up (basically the people who'd be checking that box on an app). when we graduated (stanford) the biggest piece of game the alums put us on was that most of us wouldn't have kids that would get legacy admissions, but to even slightly be in the game, you need to donate to the school consistently and those donations should grow over time. it's just not that many spots for a random alum to have their kid admitted, but the deep pocket alumni and notable names (ie obama kids), they're always gonna have a place

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
right, but the random "legacy" - someone whose parent happened to go there but hasn't been of any consequence to the university, doesn't really have a leg up (basically the people who'd be checking that box on an app). when we graduated (stanford) the biggest piece of game the alums put us on was that most of us wouldn't have kids that would get legacy admissions, but to even slightly be in the game, you need to donate to the school consistently and those donations should grow over time. it's just not that many spots for a random alum to have their kid admitted, but the deep pocket alumni and notable names (ie obama kids), they're always gonna have a place

No legacy. Period.

All equal right.
There's gonna be some serious ramifications from this to get rid of that pass.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
It’s interesting but California was able to work around anti affirmative legislation by investing in its community college transfer programs and investing in class based programs. I believe UCLA black population matches Los Angeles black population as a whole.

NYC does this as well with CUNY. Where they enroll minority students into a community college and automatically sets them on a path to getting into the best CUNY schools (Hunter, Baruch, Queens College Brooklyn).

Hopefully blue states Universities will start limiting their admission pool and investing more in their transfer pool.
Slightly below. State is 6.5 while grad program overall is like 6 percent. I only know cause it weighed heavily when I thought about applying to Luskin

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
He's hard to pin down

Saved Obamacare and had the 5-4 decision for the Voting Rights act.

Now Thomas on the other hand.....
And I can point to several other cases, like Jackson, where if Kavanaugh would’ve voted with the liberal justices, he would’ve too. He only voted with his conservative colleagues to save face

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How did they determine schools discriminated against asians? And if schools did discriminate against asians how did they determine affirmative action was the reason why it discriminated against asians?
I watched some report on this, I don't remember where, but it said if AA didn't exist, about 40% of all students from top schools would be Asian based on grades, scores, etc., but with AA, it was capped lower.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Thomas shouted out his boy, Sowell, in his opinion.

Thomas shouted out his boy, Sowell, in his opinion.

There is some truth about how HBCU’s lift our community out of tough situations and into better circumstances. I just find it hollow that a man who went to the college of Holy cross and Yale Law school would believe this. Who wrote this dissent for him?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Not just that, but those schools probably won't see a drop in their "diversity," imo.

Most of the best universities in the country are also in blue states. I doubt they make any real changes, and there will be no political movement within the state to threaten them. Now if Harvard was in Florida for instance then sure, I could see them being compelled to change course.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
HBCUs vs Selective PWI's - What's at stake?

Harvard n'nem have endowments because their UBER rich alumni give back.

Howard n'nem produce the Black Professional class - but those trained by HBCUs generally don't become Uber Rich.

There are a few.

For example Puffy (NW allegedly 1B) broke off 1M to Howard (his alum)

But for the really successful Black Men coming out of PWI's

The billionaire who gifted money to Morehouse, Robert F. Smith, went to an Ivy League undergrad - Cornell and an Ivy League Grad School.

He gave 34M to Morehouse. Good for him.

But he gave Cornell 50 Million

Individual contributions from both Robert F. Smith and the Fund II Foundation, of which Smith is the founding director and President, resulted in a combined gift of $50 million that was donated to Cornell Engineering’s School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.