SCOTUS Watch Thread

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
But you’re one too… So what’s the difference?
I made posts about affirmative action mostly benefitting white women, and the idiot comes and says protect black women. That idiot is an edge lord troll doofus.

fukk it. I'm wasting my time. I will speak on your level:
Your mother.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
I made posts about affirmative action mostly benefitting white women, and the idiot comes and says protect black women. That idiot is an edge lord troll doofus.

fukk it. I'm wasting my time. I will speak on your level:
Your mother.
So you have a problem with protecting black women? :pachaha:

Sounds like you hate black women or just a high level c00n :mjlol:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
admittedly don't understand AA very well, on a detailed level, like I know what it is, and remember the subject from high school class debates/exercises, but don't understand how it is applied, and how the ruling changing things. Anyone who is black, can no longer be admitted to college, or given more consideration because they are black?

No, this doesn't keep Black people out of college. If you can sign for the student loans, you can go to college pretty much anywhere, but not everywhere.

Very hard to get into private schools like Harvard or public universities like North Carolina don't just let anyone into their schools
You need
  • Good grades
  • Good SATs
  • Leadership
  • Volunteering
  • Sports
  • Personal essays
  • Personal connection to the school
Even with perfect grades and perfect SAT scores - most of these selective schools have 2-10x more applicants than seats available. Harvard only admits 3.4% of the its apps.

So, this allows colleges to be basically colorblind?

That's the idea, at least the Asian idea - but schools don't just admit people on the basis of grades and SAT scores.
The white sponsor thinks that it will stop smart Black students from getting into the best schools.

but how will this be enforced? By the Education Department? And won't this depend on the actions of the administration, like the Obama era 'Dear Colleague" letter?

It's actually enforced by lawsuit. Folks look at the the student populations (or color of the employees) and think that it's gotta be discrimination.

Years down the line, when Asians still aren't at Yale in the numbers they think they deserve, they will sue on some other basis. There will be even less Black people there as is. So they won't be able to blame Black people for apparent White Racism.

Because that's really what's happening here.

Asians could easily displace the vast swaths of "mediocre" white people at these schools.
The college admissions people are not trying to create little Beijing on campus though.

Never went to college, much less Ivy League, so don't really grasp the admissions process, from an experience level. Is it a box you check? What about the in person interviews?

In most cases, you fill out a paper application and send it in.
The application has your biological data, grades, test scores, personal essay, and activities.

In borderline cases, they'll do an interview. (I had one at University of Chicago back in the day).

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
No, this doesn't keep Black people out of college. If you can sign for the student loans, you can go to college pretty much anywhere, but not everywhere.

Very hard to get into private schools like Harvard or public universities like North Carolina don't just let anyone into their schools
You need
  • Good grades
  • Good SATs
  • Leadership
  • Volunteering
  • Sports
  • Personal essays
  • Personal connection to the school
Even with perfect grades and perfect SAT scores - most of these selective schools have 2-10x more applicants than seats available. Harvard only admits 3.4% of the its apps.

That's the idea, at least the Asian idea - but schools don't just admit people on the basis of grades and SAT scores.
The white sponsor thinks that it will stop smart Black students from getting into the best schools.

It's actually enforced by lawsuit. Folks look at the the student populations (or color of the employees) and think that it's gotta be discrimination.

Years down the line, when Asians still aren't at Yale in the numbers they think they deserve, they will sue on some other basis. There will be even less Black people there as is. So they won't be able to blame Black people for apparent White Racism.

Because that's really what's happening here.

Asians could easily displace the vast swaths of "mediocre" white people at these schools.
The college admissions people are not trying to create little Beijing on campus though.

In most cases, you fill out a paper application and send it in.
The application has your biological data, grades, test scores, personal essay, and activities.

In borderline cases, they'll do an interview. (I had one at University of Chicago back in the day).
thanks for that breakdown and clarity, that shores things up a little for my understanding

Followed the Harvard lawsuit since it was filed, maybe in 2019? So, previously AA helped with that advantage to kind of break the tie between competing applicants. and now it wont, which will make it even harder.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Most of the best universities in the country are also in blue states. I doubt they make any real changes, and there will be no political movement within the state to threaten them. Now if Harvard was in Florida for instance then sure, I could see them being compelled to change course.

Does that matter though? This is interpreted federal law now and if say, DeSantis was POTUS his justice department could bring suit against schools for trying to account for race, no matter where they are.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Thomas shouted out his boy, Sowell, in his opinion.

The interpretation here is wrong. I have no idea if Thomas supports HBCUs but I know Sowell frequently dissed them despite having attended Howard himself. If you read his autobiography and earlier writings he claims most students at Howard (or other HBCUs) are not serious about education and in the 70s he questioned whether HBCUs were needed and that they historically erred in trying to hire too many "unqualified" Black faculty and leaders back when supposedly qualified Whites openly controlled HBCU leadership and administration. I have read a good bit of his stuff back 50 years so I am not talking out my arse here.

The reason they are shouting out HBCUs here (and Sowell often shouts out the legendary Black Dunbar HS in DC) is not to shout out Black schools just cause, it is to undermine Brown v. Board.

One of the rationales for Brown v Board was that segregation enforced a de facto inferior status on Black education so "separate but equal" is a sham. Black conservatives like Sowell will point out certain Black schools that do well in large part to claim this rationale is false and that Black schools aren't all necessarily inferior. We all would agree on that point I think but they want to claim that the top 10% of Black schools are better than the bottom 60% of White schools or whatever and therefore Brown v. Board's core rationale was incorrect. Let's ignore the vast majority of schools and students shafted by racist policies in favor of the success stories.

Sowell wrote multiple times that Brown started the wave of judicial activism and forced integration at a time the good American people were supposedly voluntarily dismantling it at their own pace. These are almost his exact words. :pachaha:They wouldn't mind if Brown was gone.

If they were so pro Black schools they would be running game for UNCF etc. but they only love praising HBCUs to slide in some separate can be equal con.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Does that matter though? This is interpreted federal law now and if say, DeSantis was POTUS his justice department could bring suit against schools for trying to account for race, no matter where they are.
How, when today's ruling explicitly states exactly how universities can continue to consider race in applications? Harvard already called the bluff:

Can I imagine a DeSantis type attempting to punish universities for using this clear loophole? Sure. But considering that most noteworthy things DeSantis has done have been slapped down by courts for violating the law, I'm not particularly worried about him or others having legal standing to outright disobey a Supreme Court ruling.

(Ironically earlier today, his big "don't let Chinese people purchase land in Florida" bill was shot down by the courts for violating the constitution)

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
How, when today's ruling explicitly states exactly how universities can continue to consider race in applications? Harvard already called the bluff:

Can I imagine a DeSantis type attempting to punish universities for using this clear loophole? Sure. But considering that most noteworthy things DeSantis has done have been slapped down by courts for violating the law, I'm not particularly worried about him or others having legal standing to outright disobey a Supreme Court ruling.

(Ironically earlier today, his big "don't let Chinese people purchase land in Florida" bill was shot down by the courts for violating the constitution)

I hope you are right. I am just saying the court interprets but the executive enforces. If the executive is overzealous it could take years for SCOTUS to address if they agree to hear it at all.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I think schools who want still want to have a diverse campus may try use a proxy measure. Something like your location or a zip-code. It won't be as effective, but it may be a way to still help unprivileged communities.

This is a massive win for Asians though. I've worked in big tech at very competitive jobs and noticed that 80-90%% of the people I worked with were Asian. I'm not exaggerating. There would be whole 40 person teams I was on, and 38 would be Asian, 1 would be white, and 1 would be black. Asians are so good at test taking. I've often wondered why this is, not being Asian myself. Why are they so good at test taking? It's either they are smarter than everybody else or their culture somehow values test taking skills more than other races.

I think a lot of white people are going to be surprised by the makeup of elite college campuses now that AA is gone. If standardized testing is the most important aspect of getting into college, Asians are going to dominate. So a lot of white people who think this only affects non-whites, are going to be in for a surprise.