ScHoolboy Q - CrasH Talk (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Projected 80-85K first week so slight improvement from Blank Face

tenor.gif

People say they loved Blank Face but according to Q not a lot of actual support for it. These TDE boys know the business.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This is the worst TDE release since Tree Of Life. Everything about it sounds half assed. You know there's a problem when the waviest track is just a slowed down DJ Premier beat. Q sounds out of his element on these trap beats, and every feature out shines him. Lil Baby floats on Water, shyt is cool. I hate Cudi and he's cool on here. Honestly Travis is the only bad feature.

It's time to reevaluate what "working hard" means in context of making an album. Recording 100 songs is NOT impressive if this is the end result. All that does is waste beats and ideas. If you aren't coming up with ideas and hooks, which you save and use on the right track...what are you doing besides wasting time.
:francis:

His career is over. In his interviews it's clear the Blankface sales were disappointing to him. You can't take 3 year breaks brehs. Unless you're Cole or Kendrick or Drake. TDE needs to reevaluate how they operate because it's looking like Q and Ab Soul are finished commercially. I'm sure Q's tour will sell out and do well...but that's all he is now. He has enough hits to tour or do festivals for years.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
tenor.gif

People say they loved Blank Face but according to Q not a lot of actual support for it. These TDE boys know the business.
In the long run though I think a quality release that stands the test of time can grow over time and cement your our status as a timeless artist. It’s hard on either side of the argument to quantify how much that will translate to dollars in your pocket down the road, and I don’t know the 1st week sales for Blank Face, but I think unless there’s a large difference that it’s generally more beneficial for your career to make timeless music, as opposed to something that’s going to maybe pop off for a minute but then dies down.

:yeshrug:

Daps
In the long run though I think a quality release that stands the test of time can grow over time and cement your our status as a timeless artist. It’s hard on either side of the argument to quantify how much that will translate to dollars in your pocket down the road, and I don’t know the 1st week sales for Blank Face, but I think unless there’s a large difference that it’s generally more beneficial for your career to make timeless music, as opposed to something that’s going to maybe pop off for a minute but then dies down.

:yeshrug:

i agree with the general premise but not here cuz Q has given us quality "reel rap" his whole career. If you holding this against him cuz its not your style of music then you probably a fraud fan anyway.

All that damn hating, I'm better at love making
Tryna stay positive out of negative energy
nikka don't play with me
You must think my loyalty slavery, uh :wow:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
tenor.gif

a bump of 6-9k is now a testament to doing something right? :what: with a margin of error that close, it's more correct to say the sellout wasn't worth it/dude peaked at Oxy (sales/popularity wise) and needs to realize and accept it.

Daps
a bump of 6-9k is now a testament to doing something right? :what: with a margin of error that close, it's more correct to say the sellout wasn't worth it/dude peaked at Oxy (sales/popularity wise) and needs to realize and accept it.

i'd call it a success since he is like 10 years in and still doing better than his last when a lot of people fall off after their first. the first week is just the start, we all know well by now, music sales aren't the full picture. i bet he did a lot of it for tour music. yall say you loved blank face but did you really? cuz he was performing to relatively small venues :francis: trap/dumb down music consistently gets a bigger concert audience unless you a mainstream act (this is my opinion of the atlanta concert scene).

#supportyourartists

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i'd call it a success since he is like 10 years in and still doing better than his last when a lot of people fall off after their first. the first week is just the start, we all know well by now, music sales aren't the full picture. i bet he did a lot of it for tour music. yall say you loved blank face but did you really? cuz he was performing to relatively small venues :francis: trap/dumb down music consistently gets a bigger concert audience unless you a mainstream act (this is my opinion of the atlanta concert scene).
yes, i play it regularly, made a playlist of it so i could sequence it the way i thought it should flow, and i went to that tour, so next :camby:

and he performs at the same size venues...at least every time he's been out here, he's not kendrick, or cole, or drake...he's not playing anywhere with a 15k and up capacity, even when he toured oxy, he was in spots 3-7k, this is the west coast, his "home base" and that's his ceiling when headlining...

i don't even hate this album, it's simply not even good for what he was trying to achieve, this aint the shyt that's going to get him any further ahead popularity wise, he peaked, so why half asses chase the mainstream when it's not in your cards?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Reminds me of the initial reaction of KOD and kind in a way his KOD. If you are his core fan base you might not like this but as somebody who is a causal to him I’m really enjoying this. Way more accessible to me.
KOD had like five tracks that I thoroughly enjoyed and had on constant rotation.

This album was bad. From little stuff like the cover to the hooks and beat selections, I am disappointed.

Daps
yes, i play it regularly, made a playlist of it so i could sequence it the way i thought it should flow, and i went to that tour, so next :camby:

and he performs at the same size venues...at least every time he's been out here, he's not kendrick, or cole, or drake...he's not playing anywhere with a 15k and up capacity, even when he toured oxy, he was in spots 3-7k, this is the west coast, his "home base" and that's his ceiling when headlining...

i don't even hate this album, it's simply not even good for what he was trying to achieve, this aint the shyt that's going to get him any further ahead popularity wise, he peaked, so why half asses chase the mainstream when it's not in your cards?

cool for you but everybody know damn well not everybody supports artist that they beg for music from then get mad when they switch up for money or just say fukk it and do whatever they want with their music. that's my point. holler about it and make it about yourself if you want but that's facts in general, and coming from Q himself specifically. and you don't know what this will do on tour. he bring anyone of the featured artists out and he might pull the fox or state farm arena. either would be an upgrade, he's already ahead sales wise.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
cool for you but everybody know damn well not everybody supports artist that they beg for music from then get mad when they switch up for money or just say fukk it and do whatever they want with their music. that's my point. holler about it and make it about yourself if you want but that's facts in general, and coming from Q himself specifically. and you don't know what this will do on tour. he bring anyone of the featured artists out and he might pull the fox or state farm arena. either would be an upgrade, he's already ahead sales wise.
unless Q does a co-headline or multi-act tour, he's not moving up into bigger venues as a solo act/headliner. this coming from someone who's seen him almost every 18 months since 2012 :yeshrug:

edit: shyt, i just remembered where he played during the oxy run out here, 1500 capacity :francis:

Daps
unless Q does a co-headline or multi-act tour, he's not moving up into bigger venues as a solo act/headliner. this coming from someone who's seen him almost every 18 months since 2012 :yeshrug:

yeah you never know. TDE knows what they do. I was in the SZA ctrl thread that got bumped the other day, it was a lot of armchair a&r's shytting on it a first and they had to eat their words very shortly afterward :mjlol:. people too quick to want to get a hot take in when an album drops. Similar occurence for ab-soul's DWTW and jay rocks 90059

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
yeah you never know. TDE knows what they do. I was in the SZA ctrl thread that got bumped the other day, it was a lot of armchair a&r's shytting on it a first and they had to eat their words very shortly afterward :mjlol:. people too quick to want to get a hot take in when an album drops. Similar occurence for ab-soul's DWTW and jay rocks 90059
lol @ hot takes about rock and soul...where? DWTW is divisive, the sound of it turned a lot of people off even tho soulo's rapping was better than these days, and that critique stands to this day. there were not hot takes about 90059...those artist don't elicit hottakes

and lol @ TDE knows what it's doing. TDE (and manybe Q himself) hasn't/didn't handle Q correctly, he could have been bigger if they weren't so adamant about their model. it's funny how people let the success of kendrick and sza (both of whom had the street buzzing before their debuts) speak for how the whole roster has been handled. no reason sir shouldn't be getting more of a push, the lane is open and ripe for new male talent, he strikes a good balance between quality/classic r&b but "real enough" lyrics for today's tastes, and q would've benefitted from a higher volume of output.