ScHoolboy Q - CrasH Talk (Discussion Thread)

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Crazy how hungry he is for popularity/sales but is opposed to the idea of actually doing the Black Hippy album.

Q my guy but he weird about shyt.

That's what I took away from watching some of his interviews on this promo run. He has conflicting ideas about not only what he is/could be but about rap in general.

One minute he'll talk about going back and listening to Illmatic just to hear AZ's verse, then he's talking about not wanting to make music like Blank Face for "depressed weirdos"

It's almost like he's a rap nerd who hates that he's a rap nerd and is fighting to be and be seen as something else. Which is why when he "dumbs it down" it's not even good. Like this album. We know he's better than this but he's trying to tell us "No I'm not - turn up! You weirdo..."

:patricelol:

so i guess kendrick just gives reference tracks to the entire label now then? i see his name in some credits and notice him in background vocals where he isnt featured. same w/ jay rocks last album.

Q explained that when he makes music he sends it all to Kendrick, and Kendrick gives feedback. Tells him to cut a verse here, adds some adlibs, tells him when/where to switch up the beat or drop the beat out etc.

Which is why he gets credited as a writer. Technically, a writing credit in music is just a contribution credit. It doesn't always mean you literally wrote on it. Like how producers or artists who were sampled get credit.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I finally saw the production credits and a lot of dope names that he usually works with are on there. I was expecting to see some names missing but it surprised me to see so many regulars for him listed on this album.

That’s what made it so confusing. It wasn’t some wave of different producers that made it sound like that, it was basically the same producers. I looked at the track listing after listening and was like “:gucci:

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Interesting it seems his fanbase not feeling it but I never been much a fan and I fucc with this album

Guess he’s reaching out to people like me with this album

My British brother middle age 21 murk that song

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Floating is fukken hard

That bass hits so
full

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Reminds me of the initial reaction of KOD and kind in a way his KOD. If you are his core fan base you might not like this but as somebody who is a causal to him I’m really enjoying this. Way more accessible to me.

TheGregReaper

#HeatNation #SouthernCalUSC #LiverpoolFC
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WATTS & Inglewood Southern Kalifornia
I’m so offended by how trash this album is that if he never makes another album in similar vain to Blank Face I’ll never listen to none of his new shyt again:ehh:

This nikka went out here and basically made a Migo album. Same type of beats, same flows, every song is 2 minutes so he can hold these retards attention....shyt is trash. I can’t believe I waited 2 years for this shyt. I gave it the weekend to see if it would grow on me and it ain’t happening. Only song I’m feeling is the very last joint.

I’m completely lost on why he let this bullshyt see the light of day.:stopitslime:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
That's what I took away from watching some of his interviews on this promo run. He has conflicting ideas about not only what he is/could be but about rap in general.

One minute he'll talk about going back and listening to Illmatic just to hear AZ's verse, then he's talking about not wanting to make music like Blank Face for "depressed weirdos"

It's almost like he's a rap nerd who hates that he's a rap nerd and is fighting to be and be seen as something else. Which is why when he "dumbs it down" it's not even good. Like this album. We know he's better than this but he's trying to tell us "No I'm not - turn up! You weirdo..."

:patricelol:
He better tighten it up before he becomes the rap game's
giphy.gif
:loldenzel2:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Reminds me of the initial reaction of KOD and kind in a way his KOD. If you are his core fan base you might not like this but as somebody who is a causal to him I’m really enjoying this. Way more accessible to me.
i think oxymoron was just as "accessible" - not even sure what that means regarding Q - but still a better level of artistry. better, more unique production, better rapping, better song structure