Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Yeah watch this & Ninja Scroll bruh. Those two are your Holy Grail Bible of anime
Cool... ive only seen the spirited away, grave of fireflies and floating castle.. oh and princes mononoke:wow: goat anime... I saw akira and wasnt impressed. . Im guessing I like the spirited away style better.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Unfortunately, Hollywood operates off money and we know they are hesitant about casting women and minorities for lead parts. Johansson was most likely cast here because she's a known name coming off her popular Black Widow role and Lucy which was successful at the box office. They see her as a proven and safe bet.
Ehh.. more like hollywood operates on 'cism and are hesitant to cast non-whites because.. well, why would they when they can keep it all white and say that's all anyone wants to see? (i.e. make all the superheroes white.. so clearly people only want to see "white movies".. b/c no way would anyone want a superhero or sci fi movie about, say, a black guy who fights vampires or some a-hole black dude with superman abilities :troll:, lets just give em more ryan reynolds and taylor kitsch :smugbiden:).

Unfortunately with that approach, there's not going to be too many well known non-white or non-black females.. non-black b/c in the USA blacks are too prominent in other forms of media (namely sports, music and comedy) that the powers that be can't white wash or deny their popularity among the general public so it literally forces more doors open (that plus racial tension, and it almost becomes 'mandatory' to avoid backlash).. as opposed to asian or indian americans who don't have the same fiery racial tension/history and lack representatives who are looked at as visual gods in the most popular forms of everyday american entertianment (despite their 'skin').. so they're more easily ignored/don't get as many chances to build up a good resume, which makes it that much easier to pass on them for such roles.

and at that point it can really become a vicious cycle

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Appreciated breh
http://animehaven.org/dubbed/ghost-in-the-shell-1995
Your thoughts later
zujp95.jpg

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Cool... ive only seen the spirited away, grave of fireflies and floating castle.. oh and princes mononoke:wow: goat anime... I saw akira and wasnt impressed. . Im guessing I like the spirited away style better.
breh, you watchin all that soft shyt.

fukk wit some ninja, scroll, ghost in the shell, hellsing ultimate, iria zeram warrior, berserk, jin roh, spriggan, wonderful days... akira is dope, but it makes no sense since they toook like a couple 10000 pages of a manga and condensed it. its a visual/animation masterpiece, but the end of it got hacked.

and fukk this movie, i need asian brehs to protest this fukkery.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
We already had a whitewashed Akira flick. It was called Chronicle.

I explained this somewhere before but I can't find it, but this is bullshyt. It's a style, the predominant style, orginating from the first major 'official' anime Astro Boy (big eyes, small nose, bright colors), which was directly inspired by another cartoon with big eyed, bright colored characters, Donald Duck. And in case you really need another hint that the character aesthetics in anime aren't based on white people, there is not a person on this planet that has natural purple, green or blue hair. Think about that.
there are some white washing undertones in anime, asians are all about pale skin and blonde hair. but the visual style is not because of white washing, its done because them big ass eyes, and smaller noses help convey exaggerated emotions, now how they used to, and still sometimes draw black people is :snoop:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I like Scar-Jo and understand the casting from a business standpoint but there still better be a majority Asian cast and it should still take place in a futuristic Japan. But the Whitewashing is just sickening. Don't get me wrong, "Edge of Tomorrow" turned out dope but for every good manga adaptation we gotten "Dragon Ball: Evolution". Honestly I don't trust Hollywood with Manga. But for those that haven't seen the original anime, check it out.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
breh, you watchin all that soft shyt.

fukk wit some ninja, scroll, ghost in the shell, hellsing ultimate, iria zeram warrior, berserk, jin roh, spriggan, wonderful days... akira is dope, but it makes no sense since they toook like a couple 10000 pages of a manga and condensed it. its a visual/animation masterpiece, but the end of it got hacked.

and fukk this movie, i need asian brehs to protest this fukkery.
I like the soft stuff :ld:

Just saw ghost in the shell... little confusing but good.. so the puppet master was just a program to hack but became self aware and wanted to feel mortality? .. so he merges his program with her?... also was her friend a cyborg too?

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
was every asian actress just not available?

i'd assume they're american-ifying it like The Departed or like A Woman, A Gun & A Noodle Shop did to Blood Simple in reverse. the movie is going to be typical Hollywood shyte most likely anyway.