Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
manga portrays their characters as cacs anyway..
so what's the problem?

The "whitewashing" is mainly an issue for people of Asian ethnicity living abroad, especially those in the US, who feel they are under presented and underappreciated in cinema and media. That's an understandable point. However, at the same time I'd like to point out that most Japanese audiences don't mind one bit. Many of them realize the financial realities ($110 million Hollywood production with unknown Japanese stars who probably can't speak English? Financial suicide!), some like Mamoru Oshii don't think a cyborg should be necessarily be portrayed by a Japanese actress, and some are just happy to see a big Hollywood star in the role.

Personally I can't think of any Japanese actress who they could've hired for the role. Rinko Kikuchi? Japanese audiences hate her! Some idol? Thank god they didn't.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
this movie was underwhelming. Action was average. Visuals were average for the most part.

I didn't like the original GITS and thought it was a boring movie. In a way, not surprised this movie ended up sucking

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
manga portrays their characters as cacs anyway..
so what's the problem?

The "whitewashing" is mainly an issue for people of Asian ethnicity living abroad, especially those in the US, who feel they are under presented and underappreciated in cinema and media. That's an understandable point. However, at the same time I'd like to point out that most Japanese audiences don't mind one bit. Many of them realize the financial realities ($110 million Hollywood production with unknown Japanese stars who probably can't speak English? Financial suicide!), some like Mamoru Oshii don't think a cyborg should be necessarily be portrayed by a Japanese actress, and some are just happy to see a big Hollywood star in the role.

Personally I can't think of any Japanese actress who they could've hired for the role. Rinko Kikuchi? Japanese audiences hate her! Some idol? Thank god they didn't.

Always wondered.. why do they hate Rinko :patrice:

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
Pretty much the most forgettable film I've seen this year. It was not bad, per say, was just not memorable in any sort of way.

I had no expectations going into this, as I never watched the manga. It was just kind of "meh"

I did like that blonde haired dude and thought Scarlett Johansenn's outfits were pretty dope.

The villian and that other "ghost" were pretty awful though. Especially the villian. Seemed like someone ripped straight from a 90's B action film. No depth whatsoever to his character or actions, he was simply a big bad evil, corporate and greedy suit.

And to those complaining of "white washing" technically, the main character was, indeed, asian. So quit your whining :mjgrin: :troll:

Rating 5/10

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
It was alright... also really should have tried doing their own thing. Or not... their own thing was so fukking cliched :skip:

They should have pushed it back to August tho...

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
I've heard the original series and film was amazing so I had high expectations.

I feel like this shyt flopped brazy.

it felt rushed
characters weren't making me give a shyt about them
the whole damn film was basically filmed in my city so it didnt look believable
cac main character with a Japanese mother :mjlol:
I don't know about the og toons or nothing but I feel like this is nowhere near how dope it could be.
special effects were aight tho
old head with the bulletproof briefcase and revolver :banderas: dusted those agents and was like switch to mind comms :banderas:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I was gonna see this in IMAX but the way everyone's talking about it, just regular 2d will have to suffice.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
This shyt was unnecessarily disgustingly average. :dead:
Took everything I had not to bust out laughing 3/4ths the way through:deadmanny:

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
Pretty much the most forgettable film I've seen this year. It was not bad, per say, was just not memorable in any sort of way.

I had no expectations going into this, as I never watched the manga. It was just kind of "meh"

I did like that blonde haired dude and thought Scarlett Johansenn's outfits were pretty dope.

The villian and that other "ghost" were pretty awful though. Especially the villian. Seemed like someone ripped straight from a 90's B action film. No depth whatsoever to his character or actions, he was simply a big bad evil, corporate and greedy suit.

And to those complaining of "white washing" technically, the main character was, indeed, asian. So quit your whining :mjgrin: :troll:

Rating 5/10

Yeah this shyt was wack. Villian didn't even have a goal.

What was up with this bytch walk!?
Why was her mother Asian?

shyt was bland. Dope visuals