Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
It stems from the same idea. Avoiding the sun to retain a smooth skin aligns with avoiding hard work which would ruin the smoothness of the skin also. Regardless, the beauty ideal in Asia of having pale skin has nothing to do with wanting to look like white people. That's just stupid interpretations by people who lack cultural and historical awareness.

Which is funny because there's a really insightful article posted in that thread that instantly evaporates all the bullshyt.

Why Do the Japanese Draw Themselves as White? - Sociological Images
I don't agree with that short article you posted breh. I'd wager that you wrote it tbh:ehh:
that being said, the excuses and reasoning really don't resonate with me and we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

however, notice how they certainly have NO problem portraying people of African descent in ways that would be questionable at best, and extremely stereotypical and unflattering at worst. that is to say, they are extremely conscious of race and a lot of those animation styles and ways and portraying people don't come about through happy happenstance.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I don't agree with that short article you posted breh. I'd wager that you wrote it tbh:ehh:
that being said, the excuses and reasoning really don't resonate with me and we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

however, notice how they certainly have NO problem portraying people of African descent in ways that would be questionable at best, and extremely stereotypical and unflattering at worst. that is to say, they are extremely conscious of race and a lot of those animation styles and ways and portraying people don't come about through happy happenstance.
I think there's a middle ground between both of your opinions because I don't think either of you guys are wrong.
IMO, you differ on the origin of the japanese "whiteness" and what they are trying to say is that it came organically from a classist past where high class were pale by design and low class was dark unintentionally. But acknowledging that doesn't mean that over time, this ideal didn't fuse with the western standard of beauty (considering how "close" the US have been to Japan since WWII).

Daps
don't think i'm going to be watching this. i always thought of 'the matrix' as being the hollywood version of GiTS, and this just looks like a watered-down matrix. i say this as somebody who's watched, read everything GiTS related.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
I think there's a middle ground between both of your opinions because I don't think either of you guys are wrong.
IMO, you differ on the origin of the japanese "whiteness" and what they are trying to say is that it came organically from a classist past where high class were pale by design and low class was dark unintentionally. But acknowledging that doesn't mean that over time, this ideal didn't fuse with the western standard of beauty (considering how "close" the US have been to Japan since WWII).
well said

Chef

All Star
Daps
I got mixed feelings. :patrice:I'm a big GitS fan and I can appreciate people taking liberties but this trailer isn't moving the needle for me. :francis:

ScarJo is to Hollywood to what Jennifer Hale is to video game voice acting. :upsetfavre:

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Visuallly this movie looks dope.

Outside of Akira and the first half of Death Note I havn't watched anime. I remember seeing Ghost In The Shell at the video store/arcade right down the street from me all the time when I'd go there but never watched it.

Daps
Visuallly this movie looks dope.

Outside of Akira and the first half of Death Note I havn't watched anime. I remember seeing Ghost In The Shell at the video store/arcade right down the street from me all the time when I'd go there but never watched it.

How did you start death note and not finish it??

:dwillhuh: