Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
Don't care about the whitewashing. Anime illustrators need to stop portraying their characters as cacs :manny:

They draw them that way because that's what they see as beauty. Just like how you see some Asians walking around with umbrellas when it's a sunny day, getting darker scares them.

White global dominance has made an impression on Asian cultures.:yeshrug:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
They draw them that way because that's what they see as beauty. Just like how you see some Asians walking around with umbrellas when it's a sunny day, getting darker scares them.

No, it hasn't. Cut that shyt out because I explained this (p)ages ago.

People keep making up a whole lot of bullshyt about Japanese culture without actually knowing anything about it. In history the view of a "beautiful" woman in Japan has been a youthful smooth skin. Since sunlight affects the skin, to maintain their beauty women would avoid sunlight and remain pale. As such pale, white skin became synonymous with beauty, which goes further if you look at the traditional geisha wearing completely white make-up and always carried an umbrella with them.

nEHuKVM.jpg

bxRaskL.jpg

mfP4hZz.jpg

This is why even today pale, whitish skin is seen as a sign of beauty, not some nationwide obsession to be like white people.

The traditional character design of manga/anime characters all derives from the OG, Astro Boy, whose design was inspired by Donald Duck cartoons where characters had big eyes and other facial features (nose, mouth) were generally smaller. Astro Boy was so popular that this design style (big eyes, small noses and mouths) made its way into other manga more and more and eventually it evolved into the traditional design we all know, often with very uncharacteristic eye and hair color for aesthetic purposes as to separate characters (not just within a manga/anime, but also with characters from other manga/anime).

6lkhUko.jpg

mAX8lyb.png

7Iz1ysm.jpg

See, looking at the last picture you could argue that having blue eyes is something white people have, so the character must be white, right? Except if you look again you might also notice he also has blue hair that match his eyes, and nobody in the whole fukking world has natural blue hair. That's because of aesthetics. Look at the female characters from the same show:

AfyjEAJ.jpg

Three girls with purple hair, two of them having very unnatural purple eyes, and then there's also a silver haired girl for good measure. Ain't that something? You know why they have those hair and eye colors? fukking aesthetics.

Aesthetics is why Roronoa Zoro has green hair to match the green in his outfit.

85pFcuQ.jpg

And it's aesthetics which is why Moko Kusanagi has purple hair, while the character design is based on the traditional anime look which has nothing to do with making the characters look white, but everything with that look being the most prevalent look in anime/manga and widely seen as the only marketable "mainstream" look. Which is the real reason why nearly every mangaka draws in that style.

Geishas go back centuries and is a beauty standard that existed long before most Asian countries were "exposed" to Western/white cultures. But that's not even the point. The big joke here is that black people love to make fun of how poorly white people age (partly because of the sun), but when a nation of people has century-old beauty ideals that suggest staying out of the sun to remain pale and keep their skin smooth, they're made fun of for trying to "look like" white people, the same white people who love nothing more than turn orange/red in the sun.

Am I the only one who recognizes the inherent flaw in this logic?:jbhmm:

Especially because there's also an entire counter culture of Japan against the "pale" beauty ideal called Ganguro, in case you want to continue to claim "all" Asian people are the same and have "whitewashed" beauty ideals.

RFf60zV.jpg

Last edited:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I fukking despise scar jo

Thys bytches ruined the avengers for me, her role in those movies made me dislike her. Now i cant enjoy anything shes in

She is like a female Keanu Reeves to me. Gets casted in these sci fi films and can play the stoic heroine in them, much like Keanu can in his sci-fi/action roles.

I'm a big GiTS fan. When I heard about casting at first I was pissed. She looks like she can pull off Motoko well.

Not sure about the dude who is playing Batou :scust:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Was not looking forward to this at all in fact the thought of it gave me cold sweats as I was reminded of the putrid lucy.

But that was a pretty sick trailer, worst thing about it was actually Scarlett. She's never been a great actress and her face is starting to get skinny

Last edited:

godliness

• M Δ § † ë ® ¥ °
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Hands on Green Money
Always had a thing for scar jo :ohlawd:

However I initially wasnt on board for playing major. I didnt think see could pull it off. However that trailer had me really excited. Its probably gonna be piff.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
People keep making up a whole lot of bullshyt about Japanese culture without actually knowing anything about it. In history the view of a "beautiful" woman in Japan has been a youthful smooth skin. Since sunlight affects the skin, to maintain their beauty women would avoid sunlight and remain pale. As such pale, white skin became synonymous with beauty, which goes further if you look at the traditional geisha wearing completely white make-up and always carried an umbrella with them.

nEHuKVM.jpg

bxRaskL.jpg

mfP4hZz.jpg

This is why even today pale, whitish skin is seen as a sign of beauty, not some nationwide obsession to be like white people.

The traditional character design of manga/anime characters all derives from the OG, Astro Boy, whose design was inspired by Donald Duck cartoons where characters had big eyes and other facial features (nose, mouth) were generally smaller. Astro Boy was so popular that this design style (big eyes, small noses and mouths) made its way into other manga more and more and eventually it evolved into the traditional design we all know, often with very uncharacteristic eye and hair color for aesthetic purposes as to separate characters (not just within a manga/anime, but also with characters from other manga/anime).

6lkhUko.jpg

mAX8lyb.png

7Iz1ysm.jpg

See, looking at the last picture you could argue that having blue eyes is something white people have, so the character must be white, right? Except if you look again you might also notice he also has blue hair that match his eyes, and nobody in the whole fukking world has natural blue hair. That's because of aesthetics. Look at the female characters from the same show:

AfyjEAJ.jpg

Three girls with purple hair, two of them having very unnatural purple eyes, and then there's also a silver haired girl for good measure. Ain't that something? You know why they have those hair and eye colors? fukking aesthetics.

Aesthetics is why Roronoa Zoro has green hair to match the green in his outfit.

85pFcuQ.jpg

And it's aesthetics which is why Moko Kusanagi has purple hair, while the character design is based on the traditional anime look which has nothing to do with making the characters look white, but everything with that look being the most prevalent look in anime/manga and widely seen as the only marketable "mainstream" look. Which is the real reason why nearly every mangaka draws in that style.
Interesting take.
I don't know if it's the same in Japan but I remember that South Koreans don't like darker skin because it means outdoor (mostly field) work. I watched a movie named Bedevilled (which is garbage) and that opposition between the field worker and the bosses were evident. The former was very tanned while the latter weren't. That symbolism was the same in Europe in the Middle Age where tan meant low class.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG

agreed, and for all the mental gymnastics and plea-copping on the matter this is the thread that really opened my eyes and put all those "it's just an art style" arguments to bed.

why are anime characters drawn white??

the amount of sonning going on in that thread:wow:

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Interesting take.
I don't know if it's the same in Japan but I remember that South Koreans don't like darker skin because it means outdoor (mostly field) work. I watched a movie named Bedevilled (which is garbage) and that opposition between the field worker and the bosses were evident. The former was very tanned while the latter weren't. That symbolism was the same in Europe in the Middle Age where tan meant low class.

It stems from the same idea. Avoiding the sun to retain a smooth skin aligns with avoiding hard work which would ruin the smoothness of the skin also. Regardless, the beauty ideal in Asia of having pale skin has nothing to do with wanting to look like white people. That's just stupid interpretations by people who lack cultural and historical awareness.

agreed, and for all the mental gymnastics and plea-copping on the matter this is the thread that really opened my eyes and put all those "it's just an art style" arguments to bed.

why are anime characters drawn white??

the amount of sonning going on in here :wow:

Which is funny because there's a really insightful article posted in that thread that instantly evaporates all the bullshyt.

Why Do the Japanese Draw Themselves as White? - Sociological Images