Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
at the end of the day Hollyweird doesn't know how to handle philosophical content very well and Ghost in the Shell has too many philosophical themes and should be left for Japan to make a live action flick of it.

Just look at what they did to Dragon Ball Z and its not even philosophical. :russ:

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
Don't care about the whitewashing. Anime illustrators need to stop portraying their characters as cacs :manny:
the cacs in america had more of an issue than the actual people of japan :russ:
this movie will be ass though

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
Anybody else get a Blade Runner feel?:patrice:
Visually it looks dope but besides the obvious, the story is looking hella tweaked from source material:patrice:

We've reached peak reference each other in movies circle jerk breh

Would be no GITS without BLADE RUNNER. Would be no AKIRA without BR. Would be no MATRIX without BR. Would be no BR2 comin up without...MATRIX? :leostare:

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
What I've come to understand is that you can't expect a faithful western adaptation of an anime.

The reality is, the only people who care about accuracy are anime stans, and they make up a very small minority of people who will see this movie.

The studio gains nothing by catering to us.

ScarJo is the lead because her starpower will put more butts in theater seats. It's that simple.

None of that matters to me or anyone. It's more a question of why are these studios adapting anime to begin with when they're so likely to fail. Their inherent Japanese-ness is what makes them special, these adaptations seem like what would happen when nikkas try making hummus with peanut butter instead of tahini.

I mean, I could have seen a Nolan AKIRA panning out (but it was scrapped) and maybe if they get the right crew for DEATH NOTE, but even those are long shots.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
None of that matters to me or anyone. It's more a question of why are these studios adapting anime to begin with when they're so likely to fail. Their inherent Japanese-ness is what makes them special, these adaptations seem like what would happen when nikkas try making hummus with peanut butter instead of tahini.

I mean, I could have seen a Nolan AKIRA panning out (but it was scrapped) and maybe if they get the right crew for DEATH NOTE, but even those are long shots.
They're getting closer to finding the happy medium though. Pacific Rim may as well have been an anime and Edge of Tomorrow did numbers despite fukking up everything like release date, advertising, and even the title.

I just think this is gonna be a confusing step in the wrong direction.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall

Death Note has been done in Japan..
L had I think 3 movies by himself..
Attack on Titan as well(which I could see US producer clamoring to do)..
Probably one of the best anime/manga remakes was Casshern and Intial D wasn't that bad either(amongst other adaptations)
But these were directed by Asian directors that at least had the grasp and concept of the stories and source material.
The US is just concern with the paper and fukkery which Asian Cinema might be going for with The Great Wall fukkery:mjgrin::yeshrug:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I loved pacific rim and Edge of Tommorow...

Also aren't they filming Death Note right now for real tho?!? :patrice:

Hrcules

ayyy
Daps
I fukking despise scar jo

Thys bytches ruined the avengers for me, her role in those movies made me dislike her. Now i cant enjoy anything shes in

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
Death Note has been done in Japan..
L had I think 3 movies by himself..
Attack on Titan as well(which I could see US producer clamoring to do)..
Probably one of the best anime/manga remakes was Casshern and Intial D wasn't that bad either(amongst other adaptations)
But these were directed by Asian directors that at least had the grasp and concept of the stories and source material.
The US is just concern with the paper and fukkery which Asian Cinema might be going for with The Great Wall fukkery:mjgrin::yeshrug:

Even the Japanese fall the fukk down when they do the live action adaptations of anime and Manga. There's a freedom in the animation that gets lost even in this CGI age. Put Hollywood's bytch ass market testing in the mix and :snoop:

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
Don't care about the whitewashing. Anime illustrators need to stop portraying their characters as cacs :manny:

RG0BS1U.gif