Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
You're right. Because that's exactly what they would've done. Hey let's give her a white partner or make another role white and make them a big part. It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations

Exactly.

But I think the Scarlett option was the best of the two.

This story revolves solely around her character - to create another (white) person would be splitting the story in two, and knowing the way the business like to work, the major scene would be the unknown Asian dying in the arms of Michael Fassbender or some shyt and then the 3rd act is about him and not the Asian android.

It might not feel like it, but short of a straight up Asian flick, this was the better choice.

Chef

All Star
Daps
I dunno how I feel about this. I see valid points on both sides.:patrice: The movie can talk about certain themes which are strongly relatable today like cyber terrorism, privacy and trans-humanism. White washing aside, the cast they have so far is good but hopefully it's more than guns and robots. :jbhmm:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I dunno how I feel about this. I see valid points on both sides.:patrice: The movie can talk about certain themes which are strongly relatable today like cyber terrorism, privacy and trans-humanism. White washing aside, the cast they have so far is good but hopefully it's more than guns and robots. :jbhmm:
I feel like you can get away with some white wash if your movie turns out to be good, I honestly never liked ghost in shell that much. Never thought it even came close to other classics like akira or princess mononoke

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Here's the thing, though... like my man @MartyMcFly said, "they" probably looked at it and thought they couldn't find a bankable Asian star to carry it, but...

Their other option would have been to cast an Asian actress, then retcon a white person into the story to make it a two-hander, so what would you guys rather have?

Scarlett as the lead, or some unknown Asian actress, but then a made up white character to be on the poster with her?

I'm genuinely asking, because i'm genuinely interested.

The Asian actress doesn't have to be an unknown, but the principle of the bold would've been fine. They don't have to follow the movie / manga lockstep. And we get it, its hollywood being hollywood. Folks wouldn't trip too much. They can even go further and surround the asian actress with even more well known names if they are that concerned.

But the lead def had to be Asian. I mean, they have ScarJo trying to look like the main character, even keeping that character's name, which is Japanese. That shyt don't look right.

For the record, GITS has actual white characters in the story. They could've played around with one of them and big up their importance in the story and use a more well-known actor/actress (ScarJo for example) if needed.

Lastly, the actress i suggested, Rinko Kikushi, isn't some complete unknown. She not only was the female lead in Pacific Rim, she also was nominated for an Oscar for Babel. Hollywood def knows who she is.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Even though i dont have a problem with the casting, did they say what the characters name will be?

Cuz i know damn well her name aint gonna be Motoko Kusanagi:laugh:

IMDB currently has her name as Kusanagi. Hell, Scarjo is supposed to look like her.

Hopefully I'm wrong on the name shyt, cuz if I am not....then damn :snoop:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim

Since no one posted the article to go along with the pic.

News
Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Adds Kaori Momoi, Juliette Binoche, More Cast
posted on 2016-04-14 13:42 EDT
Chin Han, Danusia Samal, Lasarus Ratuere, Yutaka Izumihara, Tuwanda Manyimo play Section 9 members
90.jpeg
Paramount Pictures and Dreamworks Pictures revealed several additional cast and staff members for the upcoming live-action Ghost in the Shell film. French actress Juliette Binoche (2014's Godzilla, The English Patient, Chocolat) will play Dr. Ouelet, and Kaori Momoi (Sukiyaki Western Django, Memoirs of a Geisha, Helter Skelter) will also have a role in the film. The film has also cast five additional Section 9 task force members: Chin Han (Independence Day: Resurgence), Danusia Samal (Tyrant), Lasarus Ratuere (Terra Nova), Yutaka Izumihara (Unbroken), and Tuwanda Manyimo (The Rover).

Additional staff members include cinematographer Jess Hall (The Spectacular Now, editor Neil Smith (Snow White and the Huntsman), production designer Jan Roelfs (Fast & Furious 6), and costume designers Kurt Swanson and Bart Mueller (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay).

The film is planned for an planned American release on March 31, 2017.

The studios shared a synopsis the first image of lead actress Scarlett Johansson (The Avengers, Lucy, Lost in Translation) as the Major (pictured above right) on Thursday:

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, Ghost in the Shell follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic's advancements in cyber technology.
In addition to Johansson, Pilou Asbæk (Lucy) will play Batou. Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire) will play the Laughing Man. Director, comedian, and actor Beat Takeshi (also known as Takeshi Kitano) plays the Public Security Section 9 founder and chief Daisuke Aramaki.

Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) signed on to direct the film. Jonathan Herman (Straight Outta Compton) reworked the earlier drafts of the script written by William Wheeler (Hoax, The Reluctant Fundamentalist) and Jamie Moss (Street Kings). Weta Workshop and its co-founder Richard Taylor are working on the film. Deadline reported last year that Johansson was offered US$10 million for the lead role.

Dreamworks and Paramount are co-financing and co-producing the film. Paramount Pictures is the film's new distributor, after Dreamworks ended its distribution deal with Walt Disney Pictures. Principal photography began in Wellington, New Zealand in January.

The anime studio Production I.G pitched the rights for Masamune Shirow's original cyber-police manga on behalf of the manga's publisher Kodansha in 2007, and Dreamworks acquired the live-action film rights in 2008. Ari Arad (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance), Avi Arad (formerly of Marvel Studios as well as of the Spider-Man and X-Men movie franchises), and Seaside Entertainment's Steven Paul (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance) are producing. The executive producers include Michael Costigan (Prometheus), Jeffrey Silver (Edge of Tomorrow, 300), Tetsu Fujimura (Tekken), and Production I.G founder and head Mitsuhisa Ishikawa.

[Via The Hollywood Reporter]

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Exactly.

But I think the Scarlett option was the best of the two.

This story revolves solely around her character - to create another (white) person would be splitting the story in two, and knowing the way the business like to work, the major scene would be the unknown Asian dying in the arms of Michael Fassbender or some shyt and then the 3rd act is about him and not the Asian android.

It might not feel like it, but short of a straight up Asian flick, this was the better choice.
People can't even name a asian chick that will make people go :lupe: for this movie without hitting google.
Story gonna be trash anyway :manny:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
The "bums on seats" argument is trash. You do the anime justice, make an amazing film that's accessible and word of mouth will do the rest. You think people flocked to go see The Matrix because Keanu Reeves was the star?
Funny you say The Matrix, seeing as how it took "inspiration" from GITS.
No oes going :lupe: for Lucy Liu in 2016 breh.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Lucy Liu is too old at this point.

The point is, the original material has a lot of universal themes that anyone can relate to, but at its core, the story is very Japanese. You can feel it, especially during the original movie.

Here's the opening credits of the original movie:

The song used is a traditional marriage song. The marriage alludes to the "union" between man and machine. Yet, the culture aspect comes in them using a japanese wedding song. That vibe is all over the film, imho.

So for them to have the main character be scarlett? With the same name, a japanese name, as the main character in the story? Yo, that shyt doesn't feel right at all.

And Hollywood had a known Japanese actress with the appropriate age. Rinko Kikuchi from Pacific Rim. She's an Oscar nominee too.

Rinko-Kikuchi-4.jpg

And before anyone says it, Ghost in the Shell has actual white people in the movie / shows. And you can tell who they are.

shyt's fukked up, fam. Can't support this bs.

you seem to be very knowledgeable and a big fan :jbhmm:

see you day one :troll:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Funny you say The Matrix, seeing as how it took "inspiration" from GITS.

All intentional, breh :myman:

If this movie is done right, this should look like a "modern" version of The Matrix but with stronger noir overtones. Considering GITS is in my top 5 animes of all time, if this shyt looks too glossy when the trailer drops, I won't even go and watch it.