Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
I still have zero problem with this decision.

Scar Jo is great, and this movie should be piff

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
She probably could but she's Chinese I believe. They should've got the good actress that played Azumi:

Azumi_(film).jpg

It would be better than ScarJo.

ScarJo could've been the main supporting character. But as the lead? :why:

Hell naw:shaq2:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
It would be better than ScarJo.

ScarJo could've been the main supporting character. But as the lead? :why:

Hell naw:shaq2:
To play devils advocate though like the stills (in this thread) show animes aren't really drawn with slanty eyes or even to look asian anymore and haven't for a long ass time. :francis:

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
wait...so its 2016 and ppl are still surprised that Hollywood is making movies for profit and not to pander to the tiny demographic that actually read/watch anime shyt?

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Meh. GITS may just be one of those things that doesnt translate well to live action, gonna need to see it in motion.
Lucy Liu is too old at this point.

The point is, the original material has a lot of universal themes that anyone can relate to, but at its core, the story is very Japanese. You can feel it, especially during the original movie.

Here's the opening credits of the original movie:

The song used is a traditional marriage song. The marriage alludes to the "union" between man and machine. Yet, the culture aspect comes in them using a japanese wedding song. That vibe is all over the film, imho.

So for them to have the main character be scarlett? And Scarlett has the name Japanese name as the main character? Yo, that shyt doesn't feel right at all.

And Hollywood had a known Japanese actress with the appropriate age. Rinko Kikuchi from Pacific Rim. She's an Oscar winner too.

Rinko-Kikuchi-4.jpg

And before anyone says it, Ghost in the Shell has actual white people in the movie / shows. And you can tell who they are.

shyt's fukked up, fam. Can't support this bs.

Dont know anything shes been in besides PacRim. She aint gonna put people in seats.

She probably could but she's Chinese I believe. They should've got the good actress that played Azumi:

Azumi_(film).jpg
No idea who that is.
s.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
The "bums on seats" argument is trash. You do the anime justice, make an amazing film that's accessible and word of mouth will do the rest. You think people flocked to go see The Matrix because Keanu Reeves was the star?

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Meh. GITS may just be one of those things that doesnt translate well to live action, gonna need to see it in motion.

Dont know anything shes been in besides PacRim. She aint gonna put people in seats.

No idea who that is.
s.

Check her out in Azume 1 & 2. She could pull it off. The movies were based off a manga. I own them on blu ray too

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

No excuse. The main character doesn't roll dolo the entire journey, she has a team with her usually. You can surround her with well-known actors and actresses. There's nothing wrong with ScarJo, for example, playing a key supporting character. You can even add in more actors too.

But for them to completely white wash an asian character while keeping the character's name :mindblown:, I can't rock with that. Didn't support white washing then, won't be supporting it now.

Also, let's stop pretending that the vast majority of actors and actresses in lead roles, especially the white ones, are THAT well-known. That's BS.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Here's the thing, though... like my man @MartyMcFly said, "they" probably looked at it and thought they couldn't find a bankable Asian star to carry it, but...

Their other option would have been to cast an Asian actress, then retcon a white person into the story to make it a two-hander, so what would you guys rather have?

Scarlett as the lead, or some unknown Asian actress, but then a made up white character to be on the poster with her?

I'm genuinely asking, because i'm genuinely interested.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Here's the thing, though... like my man @MartyMcFly said, "they" probably looked at it and thought they couldn't find a bankable Asian star to carry it, but...

Their other option would have been to cast an Asian actress, then retcon a white person into the story to make it a two-hander, so what would you guys rather have?

Scarlett as the lead, or some unknown Asian actress, but then a made up white character to be on the poster with her?

I'm genuinely asking, because i'm genuinely interested.

You're right. Because that's exactly what they would've done. Hey let's give her a white partner or make another role white and make them a big part. It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
Even though i dont have a problem with the casting, did they say what the characters name will be?

Cuz i know damn well her name aint gonna be Motoko Kusanagi:laugh: