Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
This ain't some small indie shyt though. "Ghost In The Shell" has been in the works for years, it's one of the most well known animes ever.

What other sci-fi movies has she been in, besides "Lucy" and "Under The Skin"?

Fred.
"Her" along with those but I was talking about how ScarJo has started to take these weird sci-fi roles and i believe "GHOST" was not going to be green lit unless she said yes since they been trying for over 10 years to get it made. To be honest I haven't thought about "GHOST" since the late 90s...

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
White washing Asian characters but I'm sure white people won't have a problem with that :mjpls:

Wasn't she a lesbian too in the anime? Looking forward to the love scenes :shaq:
They were already whitewashed by the Japanese. Just like 99% of the animes in existence :what:

Coli rhetoric be damned

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The character's Asian, breh. If she wasn't meant to be Asian, they wouldn't have given her an Asian name. It's that simple.

That makes no sense. A white woman could legally change her name to Motoko Kusanagi, does that magically make her Japanese? Of course not. She's still going to look as white as Martha Stewart.

Never mind her name, does the character look white or Asian? That's what matters.

Fred.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Next they gonna tell me that all the sailor moon characters were Asian and that saiyans in DBZ weren't basically white superbeings.

They powered up and their hair and eyes "aryanated" themselves. That must be a coincidence tho :comeon:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
That makes no sense. A white woman could legally change her name to Motoko Kusanagi, does that magically make her Japanese? Of course not. She's still going to look as white as Martha Stewart.

Never mind her name, does the character look white or Asian? That's what matters.

Fred.

:deadmanny:

C'mon breh, now you're just reaching beyond comprehension. In nearly all anime/manga, you can clearly differentiate between western and Asian people because of their names. If she wasn't meant to be Asian, they would've given her a western name like say, Faye Valentine, Miria Harvent or Meryl Stryfe.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
:deadmanny:

C'mon breh, now you're just reaching beyond comprehension. In nearly all anime/manga, you can clearly differentiate between western and Asian people because of their names. If she wasn't meant to be Asian, they would've given her a western name like say, Faye Valentine, Miria Harvent or Meryl Stryfe.
but they still make them look white and it's disgustingly obvious that they're obsessed with white ppl.....if you can't see that I don't know what to tell you

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

I more so meant the big ass eyes, and the face in general. Ol boy was saying Donald Duck, as if that was the only influenced on anime. The man that's considered the godfather of anime will tell you pointblank he was influenced by Betty Boop just as much, if not more than Donald Duck.

Regardless, this is the character Scar Jo is playing. Does she look Asian?

Ghost_in_the_Shell2.png

Hell no....so what's the beef? This is nothing like "Exodus".

Fred.

No. Some of you dudes just hop on the internet and argue to argue.

Visually anime isn't meant to look Asian....and she doesn't look Asian. It's not rocket science.

motoko_kusanagi_00409074.jpg

She looks like a white girl. Get your eyes checked.

Fred.

1. She doesn't look white she looks like how Japanese people draw themselves. When they draw white people or other ethnicity its usually painfully obvious.

2. Her last name Kusanagi is actually hella fukking important as it HIGHLIGHTS her Japanese-ness if you will. Kusanagi is a mystical sword that is a major part of shinto creation myth and said to be one of the crown jewles of the Japanese Empire and still is held by priests in Japan. In other words, her name is supposed to make Japanese readers/viewers make her connect to Japan the moment her name is said...thats not just some ho-hum reason.

3. The series being in Japan with Japanese people is actually absurdly important seeing as how WWIII wiped out so many other nations and Japan became a superpower from it. The reason why Motoko is who she is, is a result of that...just making her some random white girl deconstructs alot of the world building that Shirow did when he wrote it.

and if its THAT serious you mean to tell me there was NO Asian-American woman that coulda did this....i mean really. Its just shytty pandering and cost cutting. Has nothing to do with the integrity of source material.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I don't really have faith regardless of the actress.

And quiet as kept, the first animated movie from 1995 was boring as hell.

The sequels and show though :whew:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and the hollywood white washing continues....not surprised, but they not even being sneaky about it no more.....it's like they standing on top of a building screaming 'we never gonna stop' in puffy's voice...i hope this shyt flops....

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
and the hollywood white washing continues....not surprised, but they not even being sneaky about it no more.....it's like they standing on top of a building screaming 'we never gonna stop' in puffy's voice...i hope this shyt flops....

Prolly will. If this woulda came out around 10-15 years ago people would be all over it. The problem is I don't think the technology was up to snuff yet.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prolly will. If this woulda came out around 10-15 years ago people would be all over it. The problem is I don't think the technology was up to snuff yet.

naw, think they had the tech, they just didnt have an actress to play the part...now that scarjo is hot cause of marvel, she's a safe bet....and even though i hope it flops, i can see them setting it up so it doesnt...like releasing it right after a marvel movie she's in, during a time that's slow at the movies....

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
naw, think they had the tech, they just didnt have an actress to play the part...now that scarjo is hot cause of marvel, she's a safe bet....and even though i hope it flops, i can see them setting it up so it doesnt...like releasing it right after a marvel movie she's in, during a time that's slow at the movies....

its gon flop...the name isn't as big as it was and the movie is getting a gang of bad press already...