SCARLET NEXUS (Official Thread)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Play ARPGs on easy mode brehs.
I played on normal. But I’m not sure how that changes what I said.

The combat is shallow. And with this style of game that pretty much all their is to it. There’s no exploration or puzzles so the majority of the game will be watching boring anime talk and fighting.

Superkick Party

Atlus / Ryū ga Gotoku
Daps
Reppin
Hub City
There is something off-putting about the graphic style or camera or something but it gives me a headache.

Combat seemed really cool but story seemed like absolute trash. Will get it on sale to support JRPGs.

yeah, there's some weird shyt going on with the camera but it was definitely fun

I do think maybe the camera speed or motion blur or something is kind of annoying. Thats def gonna be something i have to play with when the full game comes out

Did yall turn off the motion blur before playing?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Playing the demo now. Seems pretty cool so far. Not exactly mind-blowing yet, but decent enough. Wonder how deep some of the other mechanics go.

I played on normal. But I’m not sure how that changes what I said.

The combat is shallow. And with this style of game that pretty much all their is to it. There’s no exploration or puzzles so the majority of the game will be watching boring anime talk and fighting.

That seems kinda early to say regarding exploration and puzzles not being there.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Playing the demo now. Seems pretty cool so far. Not exactly mind-blowing yet, but decent enough. Wonder how deep some of the other mechanics go.

That seems kinda early to say regarding exploration and puzzles not being there.
I mean we got a pretty sizable demo. And we’ve played these style of game before.

It’s gone be walk, talk, fight, repeat. :manny:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Nier Automata was a real up and down game to me.

I agree with this. It has the best story, & narrative out of ANY game from last-gen. But using 9S in combat and the open world was lowkey trash let's be honest. Side quests felt so lifeless. (Both Xenoblade games had better side quests and that isn't exactly a good sign here) With that said using 2B and A2 in combat was still super fun.

Great game, but to me, it doesn't belong in the top tier category for JRPG's from last-gen IMO :yeshrug:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I agree with this. It has the best story, & narrative out of ANY game from last-gen. But using 9S in combat and the open world was lowkey trash let's be honest. Side quests felt so lifeless. (Both Xenoblade games had better side quests and that isn't exactly a good sign here) With that said using 2B and A2 in combat was still super fun.

Great game, but to me, it doesn't belong in the top tier category for JRPG's from last-gen IMO :yeshrug:

I think it does. Music, combat, narrative, variety of gameplay are 10/10

it is repetitive by nature, the open world is empty, and it’s a struggle to get through act 2 but it’s 100% worth it if you do. It’s a one of a kind gaming experience. If this isn’t a top AJRPG what is?

Saying something is similar to Nier Automata raises its expectations

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nier was kinda wack.

Music and story/setting were cool.

Combat was shallow. World was boring/empty enemies were uninteresting outside of the bosses.

and no I’m not playing through the same damn game multiple times just to get more story :stopitslime:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I think it does. Music, combat, narrative, variety of gameplay are 10/10

it is repetitive by nature, the open world is empty, and it’s a struggle to get through act 2 but it’s 100% worth it if you do. It’s a one of a kind gaming experience. If this isn’t a top AJRPG what is?

Eh the combat was good but not 10/10 worthy.

Ys Viii while being very niche did everything better then Automata except graphics & story. At the end of the day very few people here have played Ys so I’m pretty sure my opinion is an uncommon one.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Eh the combat was good but not 10/10 worthy.

Ys Viii while being very niche did everything better then Automata except graphics & story. At the end of the day very few people here have played Ys so I’m pretty sure my opinion is an uncommon one.

This game and MGR are the best combat platinum has done yet and i feel like when people say “platinum style combat” these are the two games they’re talking about.

It’s hack n’ slash-y but outside of DMC its the best of its kind

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Nier was kinda wack.

Music and story/setting were cool.

Combat was shallow. World was boring/empty enemies were uninteresting outside of the bosses.

and no I’m not playing through the same damn game multiple times just to get more story :stopitslime:

Ionno in what world anyone could consider any Nier game outside of the original as having shallow combat. I understand it ain't weighty like Souls games, but it's obviously not going for that feel. It goes more for fluidity and variable options during fighting, to include movement within it's flow as well. Basically like DMC style combat in an rpg. I know more and more games are adopting that sort of flow, especially in Action JRPGs, but that's cuz it's so damn good that most that don't have similar flows just feel lesser. Souls games being like one of the few exceptions for same genre game types.

World being boring and empty....ehh...I disagree. I mean, empty is kinda the point, so I'll give you that, but I think the enemies were interesting and vast enough. And while I've not played Biomutant, the emptiness seems to be a steady complaint about it as well. So that's also ironic here.