SCARLET NEXUS (Official Thread)

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Eh the combat was good but not 10/10 worthy.

Ys Viii while being very niche did everything better then Automata except graphics & story. At the end of the day very few people here have played Ys so I’m pretty sure my opinion is an uncommon one.

I've played Ys VIII and while I admittedly have yet to finish, I don't feel it's combat was outright better than Automata. It is about comparatively as fluid tho.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I've played Ys VIII and while I admittedly have yet to finish, I don't feel it's combat was outright better than Automata. It is about comparatively as fluid tho.
I’m taking into account the 9S hacking aspects into account when I say that.
If we are just talking about only 2B & A2 then I would say they are at the same level essentially. Altho I still would prefer Ys Viii personally.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I’m taking into account the 9S hacking aspects into account when I say that.
If we are just talking about only 2B & A2 then I would say they are at the same level essentially. Altho I still would prefer Ys Viii personally.

Yeah, the hacking is definitely an acquired taste, to say the least. I get why it's there tho.

From what I've played, I prefer automata. Ys VIII's saving grace is that you get 6 characters, so there's a bit more variance there.

Superkick Party

Atlus / Ryū ga Gotoku
Daps
Reppin
Hub City
Nier was kinda wack.

Music and story/setting were cool.

Combat was shallow. World was boring/empty enemies were uninteresting outside of the bosses.

and no I’m not playing through the same damn game multiple times just to get more story
:stopitslime:

I don't necessarily agree with the world being boring/empty because the world is the way it is for story reasons, thats explained in the game why.

You're purposely limiting yourself by doing that then :manny: the game was meant to be played more than once for the FULL EXPERIENCE.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Ionno in what world anyone could consider any Nier game outside of the original as having shallow combat. I understand it ain't weighty like Souls games, but it's obviously not going for that feel. It goes more for fluidity and variable options during fighting, to include movement within it's flow as well. Basically like DMC style combat in an rpg. I know more and more games are adopting that sort of flow, especially in Action JRPGs, but that's cuz it's so damn good that most that don't have similar flows just feel lesser. Souls games being like one of the few exceptions for same genre game types.
I wouldn’t compare it to souls games. But compared to other action games like DMC, Bayonneta etc it’s not that good imo. Worst/most shallow combat in a Platinum game imo.

However I did thing some of the boss fights were good with the bullet hell stuff.

World being boring and empty....ehh...I disagree. I mean, empty is kinda the point, so I'll give you that, but I think the enemies were interesting and vast enough. And while I've not played Biomutant, the emptiness seems to be a steady complaint about it as well. So that's also ironic here.
Lots of open world games are this way. I felt the enemies in nier were egregiously boring without much variety, and with the shallow combat they weren’t very fun to fight, then all the back tracking over the same empty environments over and over again it all added up to being not that fun to me. Music, story and boss fights kept me going.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This game and MGR are the best combat platinum has done yet and i feel like when people say “platinum style combat” these are the two games they’re talking about.

It’s hack n’ slash-y but outside of DMC its the best of its kind
This game don’t deserve to sit anywhere near MGR in combat.

Stop it

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I don't necessarily agree with the world being boring/empty because the world is the way it is for story reasons, thats explained in the game why.

Imo it wasn’t needed to make the world that big. I felt they could have condensed some areas and we would have gotten at the very least
the same experience then what we have.

Not to mention the fact that fast travel isn’t given to you early on seemed like a bad design choice tbh :francis:

Granted if someone were to skip the side quests I could see this not being an issue tho.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn’t compare it to souls games. But compared to other action games like DMC, Bayonneta etc it’s not that good imo. Worst/most shallow combat in a Platinum game imo.

However I did thing some of the boss fights were good with the bullet hell stuff.

Lots of open world games are this way. I felt the enemies in nier were egregiously boring without much variety, and with the shallow combat they weren’t very fun to fight, then all the back tracking over the same empty environments over and over again it all added up to being not that fun to me. Music, story and boss fights kept me going.

The fact that it seamlessly melds both the bullet hell action in 3d and DMC level of action in an rpg is exactly why it's combat is far from shallow. shyt is smooth and just works really well. If you don't like it, eh...whatever, but it's dope AF. They actually managed to include a lot of the DMC/Bayonetta ticks that they pioneered into an rpg and it doesn't feel forced or out of place. That's amazing actually.

I wasn't too enamoured with the back-tracking, except for the fact of how well the world designs were and how artistic they took it with all the varying camera angles and whatnot that hadn't been done to that level before in an rpg.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The fact that it seamlessly melds both the bullet hell action in 3d and DMC level of action in an rpg is exactly why it's combat is far from shallow. shyt is smooth and just works really well. If you don't like it, eh...whatever, but it's dope AF. They actually managed to include a lot of the DMC/Bayonetta ticks that they pioneered into an rpg and it doesn't feel forced or out of place. That's amazing actually.

I wasn't too enamoured with the back-tracking, except for the fact of how well the world designs were and how artistic they took it with all the varying camera angles and whatnot that hadn't been done to that level before in an rpg.

And the amount of equipment/skill combinations you could use to add a lot of variety to it. The way it was done it this game was genius.