SCARLET NEXUS (Official Thread)

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I honestly don’t even consider these games JRPGs.

A lot of these joints are just action games like devil may cry, sure they have some stats and armor but thats almost every game these days. There’s very little difference between something like this and God of War, this looks even more linear and stage based also. These are action rpgs at best.

And Nier Automata had the best story a eastern game has had in all last gen:yeshrug:

Damn near every game is a RPG now a days whether it is labeled as such or not. I'm playing Cyberpunk right now and this shyt is considered a RPG when it reminds me more of a mixture of Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
To keep it 100, Persona 5 is the last JRPG that actually had a top flight story(even if there are parts that didn't make sense, mainly the Royal expansion). I guess you could say FF7R, but that is a remake of a 20+ year old game so I don't count it on that level.

Eh P5 story was good but not that good. It had a really strong start but kind of lost its footing towards the end. Granted the palace exclusive to Royal was my favorite.

But regardless you shouldn’t be playing JRPG’s for story alone. They tend to be usually on the generic and predictable side. Characters & gameplay are much much more important for these types of games. trails, Ys, DQ, FE, xenoblade, etc all showcase this. All have very meh stories but the characters are so well done they make the story much better then what it really is. Plus I love each of the combat systems that I listed above.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Eh P5 story was good but not that good. It had a really strong start but kind of lost its footing towards the end. Granted the palace exclusive to Royal was my favorite.

But regardless you shouldn’t be playing JRPG’s for story alone. They tend to be usually on the generic and predictable side. Characters & gameplay are much much more important for these types of games. trails, Ys, DQ, FE, xenoblade, etc all showcase this. All have very meh stories but the characters are so well done they make the story much better then what it really is. Plus I love each of the combat systems that I listed above.

I’m the opposite, i got into JRPGs for story. Like you can’t really tell me DQXI is great because of it’s combat, That shyt is as basic as it gets.

Things like ff7, Xenogears, chrono trigger, vagrant Story, FF6, were great because of the stories first, combat is important but these were teh first game that really gave you a lengthy and engaging plot.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Just did a playthrough with sword carrying breh and it was surprinsingly dope :leon:
Love Psychokenesis gameplay with the dual sense and the interactions are very smooth and fluid. Not worried about story and all that, Im sure it'll be enuff to hold me over.

Might give the female MC playthrough some run later this week,.
This is a definite cop for me, dont know if its going to be a day one purchase or not :jbhmm:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I’m the opposite, i got into JRPGs for story. Like you can’t really tell me DQXI is great because of it’s combat, That shyt is as basic as it gets.
It’s traditional which is the biggest hit or miss for most people. But unless you play on hard mode or do post game you won’t have to do much besides the basic shyt. But just the writing & story for DQ 11 is generic AF. But the characters hard carry the story minus hero obviously.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It’s traditional which is the biggest hit or miss for most people. But unless you play on hard mode or do post game you won’t have to do much besides the basic shyt. But just the writing & story for DQ 11 is generic AF. But the characters hard carry the story minus hero obviously.

I kinda thought DQ11 was average all the way around. Nothing really blew my socks off aside from teh fact that I felt like I was 10 again playing something on SNES with modern day graphics.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I been plying around with the combat in the demo and bro, this shyt really has unlimited combos. I get the feeling this is gonna have one of the better battle systems out once it drops, even though I have a gut feeling the story is gonna be meh.
I’m copping I’m a sucker for these kinds of anime games :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Feedback for the demo has been overwhelmingly positive so far. I need to hurry up with Intergrade so I can get to this. I'm actually legit kinda hyped for this.

yesh I’ll wait to see where I’m at after ratchet and Intergrade. I may not play back through the whole game of ff7