RZA vs Premier IG Live Battle

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
RZA treated this battle like a chess game

He was playing songs that were questionable moves yet some of them forced Premier to use some of his heavy hitters

It was also dope for Premo to play some of the songs he did, but RZA was taking advantage and chopping his head off...while also forcing Premier to counter with something big

RZA won in my opinion

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Pretty much.

It's like after Pete said Q-Tip "stole" the beat for "The Jazz" from him, and remixed "The World Is Yours" and got a video for it too, Pete started intentionally flipping the same samples that Tip was using. LOL!! I remember Marley took a call on Future Flavas and the caller asked why he was doing that and Pete hung up on him and went on a tirade. This is back when Hip Hop fans kept dudes accountable.
I remember AG dissed Lords of the Underground for using the same bassline on Chief Rocka remix that AG had on "Hold Ya Head" he did. Hip Hop used to be so serious about that

"What's the remedy?
Suckers better get they own identity
And to the enemy, you better roll like it's ten of me
Fake Lords they get strangled with mic cords
Taking beats from my LP for sure ain't healthy" - AG "Next Level"

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I remember AG dissed Lords of the Underground for using the same bassline on Chief Rocka remix that AG had on "Hold Ya Head" he did. Hip Hop used to be so serious about that

"What's the remedy?
Suckers better get they own identity
And to the enemy, you better roll like it's ten of me
Fake Lords they get strangled with mic cords
Taking beats from my LP for sure ain't healthy" - AG "Next Level"

Lord Finesse did a freestyle live at the Rocksteady reunion, summer of '94, saying that they were biters. He also said that "this cat is calling himself 'Mr. Funke' when he knows he got that from me, and everyone knows I've been calling myself 'The Funkyman' for years." LOL!! Biting was NOT allowed! Times have really changed.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Premier bout to play all city against motherless child :francis:

he never played The Actual did he? Possibly my fav Preemo beat of all time, its definitely up there with Mass Appeal or Come Clean, then maybe DWYCK

these battles dont get me super pumped like some others. a lot of casuals but up in there. they are subjective first of all depending on your tastes or how it resonated with you especially real-time.

these guys have sooooo many more beats that were crazy but these battles are about popularity and hit songs. like both versions of 7th Chamber were better than a lot of shyt RZA was playing.

also, sometimes the MC's made some of the beats sound better than what they were, this probably works in Rza's favor more than any other producer because the Clan was simply fukkin those beats up, I mean you got all star level MC's just murdering beats. dont get me wrong, Rza still a GOAT, but man, just something about it when you hear Meth, or Rae or Ghost just enter a track.

these types of battles work more in one producer's favor than another most of the time. this one was great though and more balanced because they both got hits and popular songs. I can see it not working out as well in some other cases where their production credits were spread out across decades. like Pete Rock or Large Pro. they may need to face each other. Erick Sermon may not have fared well against Rza or Preemo either and he has a legit claim to be THE GOAT. he doesnt have as many of those monster hits as they do but his discography is incomparable in its own right.

the Coli was more knowledgeable about this battle than a lot of the people in the livestream tho. a lot of those people were thinking Rza would win if not wash Preemo simply because he was the man behind most of the Wu's hits. most people rocking with Preemo were Gang Starr fans and the rest not familiar with much of what he did outside of some Nas, Biggie, and Gang Starr. like he didnt even play Supa Star did he?

probably should be a list of all the great beats they DIDNT play.