RZA vs Premier IG Live Battle

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That episode might be my favorite Rap City Basement freestyle next to Boot Camp's. And I always loved Scarface freestyling to Ante Up cuz it was just so cool seeing Scarface spit off the top of the dome. But when Tajai was like "We run through and hem this sh..../ I won't say it / but I will display it / a wack MC, I take they body and flay it", I still quote that shyt.

:wow:
I remember seeing this live and being completely blown away :wow:
That 3rd Eye Vision album is so underrated :wow:

Daps
:wow:
I remember seeing this live and being completely blown away :wow:
That 3rd Eye Vision album is so underrated :wow:

Word. 3rd Eye Vision is what made me completely lose 100% of the respect I once had for The Source. They gave it 2.5 mics, yet also awarded it Independent AOTY in their year-end issue.

By doing that they basically just sh*tted on the entire underground hip-hop community by saying what they considered to be the BEST album for all of underground/indy hip-hop in '98 was only worth 2.5 mics.

Let alone how fukking ridiculous giving that classic 2.5 mics was in the first place.

:scust:

It was a top 5 album that year PERIOD, indy or major label release. I never took anything in The Source seriously after that.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Word. 3rd Eye Vision is what made me completely lose 100% of the respect I once had for The Source. They gave it 2.5 mics, yet also awarded it Independent AOTY in their year-end issue.

By doing that they basically just sh*tted on the entire underground hip-hop community by saying what they considered to be the BEST album for all of underground/indy hip-hop in '98 was only worth 2.5 mics.

Let alone how fukking ridiculous giving that classic 2.5 mics was in the first place.

It was a top 5 album that year PERIOD, indy or major label release. I never took anything in The Source seriously after that.
I remember it getting 3 mics, but either way I agree with your overall point. The Source had clearly pivoted away from the underground at that point.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I remember it getting 3 mics, but either way I agree with your overall point. The Source had clearly pivoted away from the underground at that point.

This here.

By '98, a lot of what was going on at The Source was politically driven. It was basically common knowledge at the time that labels would even pay for more mics because people were copping albums based on the reviews. The whole OG staff up there was pushed out, and they brought in people that didn't really seem to care about the culture, at all. So the reviews stopped being impartial, and it became a thing where you had to be cool with certain people up there to get a solid review, without bias.

Crumple

All Star
Daps

Wild. I respect what you wrote. I love that album.