Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is the part I don't get.

Everyone is trying to get us to understand Putin's perspective when Ukraine doesn't want him fukking there. Period. Point blank. End of discussion. Yall are consciously/unconsciously intellectualizing a takeover. This isn't some film class where we get to the heart of what makes the villain tick and why he has depth as a character

"Ok, yeah he's raping the girl against her will, but ignore that and focus on the rapist's troubled past to see how you can kinda identify with him" :camby:

It’s nauseating. If I hear the Cuba example one more time I’m going to throw up.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Obviously. I don't claim to know nearly as much as you do about the situation. My thing is that your retelling of factual evidence at this time sounds more like high brow whataboutism that leads to moralistic nihilism instead of an actual constructive conversation.

It's like China bringing up American's racist past to dodge current critiques of Uighur treatment.
No worries, as I said this thread is not the one to discuss about it so I'll refrain. My first reply was just about some tweet putting France and Germany as the reasons for the invasion and I just thought it was some surface level analysis which is why I went there.

And I'm no nihilist, be assured of that :lolbron:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
@Macallik86 ,

Regarding Donbass (and it will be my last take on this), there are obviously Russian agents (which I already acknowledged) and Russia used a legit uprising to seize power by proxy.

But the region really is pro-Russia mostly because eastern part of Ukraine is culturally tied to it, it's not just a military ploy. Here's a documentary shot during 2014-2015 by a French journalist.

You'll see how obvious Pushilin is a Russian plant but also how legit the pro-Russian sentiment is by the Donetsk people

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
You're right but I think you're leaving out the "why now" part that brehs in here have been asking about. Nothing strategically has changed with the Ukraine within the last 5 years unless...

Putin knows something that we don't. Someone mentioned Trump may have given him some intel. Someone else mentioned he may be in a power struggle in Russia. Or it could be neither of these. But there's something else at play that the general public is unaware of.
I believe the timing is more so a nationalist autocratic rallying cry, it coincides with when Crimea was annexed in 2014 (February 20th). It serves the purpose to energize Russians who believe Ukraine sold its soul to West and now its time to come back home.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I believe the timing is more so a nationalist autocratic rallying cry, it coincides with when Crimea was annexed in 2014 (February 20th). It serves the purpose to energize Russians who believe Ukraine sold its soul to West and now its time to come back home.

Even if home is over the dead bodies of most Ukrainians eh?

Daps
This is the part I don't get.

Everyone is trying to get us to understand Putin's perspective when Ukraine doesn't want him fukking there. Period. Point blank. End of discussion. Yall are consciously/unconsciously intellectualizing a takeover. This isn't some film class where we get to the heart of what makes the villain tick and why he has depth as a character

"Ok, yeah he's raping the girl against her will, but ignore that and focus on the rapist's troubled past to see how you can kinda identify with him" :camby:

It's sick, man. I honestly didn't know we had legit posters (outside of the Russian agent influx of 2016) who would blatantly carry water for Russia when Russians wouldn't spit on their black ass or white ass if they were on fire.

It's like they fell for Russian propaganda hook, line and sinker. Russia's entire foreign policy strategy has been to make themselves look like a victim when that has never been the case. These dudes have been brainwashed.

So every move Russia makes is because they're "afraid of being invaded"?

I guess they meddled with our elections out of "fear of being invaded" too, right?

Man, gtfoh.

NATO has never had any designs on Russia, at all. This whole storyline about needing to invade Ukraine because of NATO is nothing but a Russian disinformation campaign that surprise surprise, unsuspecting coli brehs are once again falling for.

Daps
But it's not as simple as this... Ukraine does not want Russia indeed but its Donbass and Louhansk regions WANT it and see its troops as liberators. That's the casus belli of this invasion.

And you can condemn a crime while still trying to understand its root. If that helps preventing further ones then everybody wins in the end.

Breh, you are a victim of the Russian disinformation campaign and you don't even realize it.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
literally not the same thing :heh:
Yeah it is.

y’all are playing obtuse with why American military is in Europe. We didn’t just colonize a bunch of Europe. The freaking continent went through two world wars and a collapse of the Ottoman Empire.

That whole Cuba scenario is bogus for the simple fact Russia has no reason to be over in the Americas militarily in a major way.

There’s a reason you never hear about former Russian colonies way out in Africa or south east Asia. They didn’t do it.