Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I'm just not sure how can you conclude he's a madman after mentioning the Kosovo war.

If the west believes in autodetermination of people above the post-communism borders, then the same is valid for Donbass, where Russians will be seen as liberators.

Actions of Putin in Donbass seem a perfectly logical step for him.
I do not see much of the difference compared to Russian annexation of Crimea.
I said it because he's refusing to acknowledge the very existence of Ukraine as a nation.

It's one thing to try to take Donbass and Lougansk because those are provinces that are "Russian" in all but name and territory but we know he wants Kiev otherwise he would not have circled Ukraine in Belarus. Trying to swallow another country is madness to me.

Donbass and Lougansk regions should have seeked autonomy with special status within Ukraine rather then go to war in 2014. It would have been better for everybody but Russia was financing the whole thing and placed key agents to seize power by proxy. Since then, it was basically impossible for this conflict to end another way than war.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A lot of key strokes when the bold is all you need :wow:
This is the part I don't get.

Everyone is trying to get us to understand Putin's perspective when Ukraine doesn't want him fukking there. Period. Point blank. End of discussion. Yall are consciously/unconsciously intellectualizing a takeover. This isn't some film class where we get to the heart of what makes the villain tick and why he has depth as a character

"Ok, yeah he's raping the girl against her will, but ignore that and focus on the rapist's troubled past to see how you can kinda identify with him" :camby:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
This is the part I don't get.

Everyone is trying to get us to understand Putin's perspective when Ukraine doesn't want him fukking there. Period. Point blank. End of discussion. Yall are consciously/unconsciously intellectualizing a takeover. This isn't some film class where we get to the heart of what makes the villain tick and why he has depth as a character

"Ok, yeah he's raping the girl against her will, but ignore that and focus on the rapist's troubled past to see how you can kinda identify with him" :camby:
But it's not as simple as this... Ukraine does not want Russia indeed but its Donbass and Louhansk regions WANT it and see its troops as liberators. That's the casus belli of this invasion.

And you can condemn a crime while still trying to understand its root. If that helps preventing further ones then everybody wins in the end.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
But it's not as simple as this... Ukraine does not want Russia indeed but its Donbass and Louhansk regions WANT Russia and see its troops as liberators. That's the casus belli of this invasion.
This is disingenuous. They are using Donbass and Louhansk to rationalize things but their goal has never been just to liberate Donbass and Louhansk.

Also it's widely believed that the separatists are planted/supported by Russia, so using them as a justification is just a military ploy by Russia
And you can condemn a crime while still trying to understand its root. If that helps preventing further ones then everybody wins in the end.
And I believe this needs to take place after the crime has been committed, not while the rape is in progress.

Historically it makes sense to look back and see the ulterior motives and mental struggles of Hitler. Doing it while he is terrorizing Jewish people is of poor taste and not as helpful as you believe it to be.

Last edited:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
And I believe this needs to take place after the crime has been committed, not while the rape is in progress.
I mean obviously but we're on a message board...
We're here to discuss which is what we're doing. And the time scales of state crimes are way different compared to people crimes which is why we can both condemn and discuss them in real time.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I mean obviously but we're on a message board...
We're here to discuss which is what we're doing. And the time scales of state crimes are way different compared to people crimes which is why we can both condemn and discuss them in real time.
Obviously. I don't claim to know nearly as much as you do about the situation. My thing is that your retelling of factual evidence at this time sounds more like high brow whataboutism that leads to moralistic nihilism instead of an actual constructive conversation.

It's like China bringing up American's racist past to dodge current critiques of Uighur treatment.

Daps
How is it not the same ? You're talking about a defensive pact that includes weapon and strategic aid.

The US wouldnt invade Cuba ? What is the Bay of Pigs incident ? The blockade since the 60s ? The reason why a nuclear war didnt pop off in 62 was because the US and Russia came to an agreement and the US part was to not attack Cuba and uninstall missiles in Turkey that were targeting Russia...

EDIT : Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Russia by any means but we're kidding ourselves if we think the US or any other superpower would react differently

You're right but I think you're leaving out the "why now" part that brehs in here have been asking about. Nothing strategically has changed with the Ukraine within the last 5 years unless...

Putin knows something that we don't. Someone mentioned Trump may have given him some intel. Someone else mentioned he may be in a power struggle in Russia. Or it could be neither of these. But there's something else at play that the general public is unaware of.