Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Russia getting desperate :picard:

WSJ News Exclusive | Russia Recruiting Syrians for Urban Combat in Ukraine, U.S. Officials Say

Russia Recruiting Syrians for Urban Combat in Ukraine, U.S. Officials Say
Moscow is looking for help from foreign fighters to take cities including Kyiv
By Gordon Lubold , Nancy A. Youssef and Alan Cullison
March 6, 2022 5:37 pm ET
im-499210

Buildings damaged by shelling in Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city.
Photo: OLEKSANDR LAPSHYN/REUTERS

WASHINGTON—Moscow is recruiting Syrians skilled in urban combat to fight in Ukraine as Russia’s invasion is poised to expand deeper into cities, according to U.S. officials.

An American assessment indicates that Russia, which has been operating inside Syria since 2015, has in recent days been recruiting fighters from there, hoping their expertise in urban combat can help take Kyiv and deal a devastating blow to the Ukraine government, according to four American officials. The move points to a potential escalation of fighting in Ukraine, experts said.

It is unclear how many fighters have been identified, but some are already in Russia preparing to enter the conflict, according to one official.

Officials declined to elaborate on what else is known about the deployment of Syrian fighters to Ukraine, the status or precise scale of the effort.

The 10-Point.
A personal, guided tour to the best scoops and stories every day in The Wall Street Journal.

According to a publication based in Deir Ezzor, Syria, Russia has offered volunteers from the country between $200 and $300 “to go to Ukraine and operate as guards” for six months at a time.

im-499118

Ramzan Kadyrov, leader of the Chechen Republic.
Photo: Yelena Afonina/Zuma Press
Syrians aren’t the only foreigners said to be involved in the invasion of Ukraine. Chechen forces have also been deployed to Ukraine, according to a Reuters reportciting Ramzan Kadyrov, the leader of the Chechen Republic and an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Fighters are also pouring into the country to fight on the side of the Kyiv-based government. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said last week that 16,000 foreigners have volunteered to fight for Ukraine, part of what he described as an “international legion.”

With volunteers from other countries flowing into Ukraine, the conflict there could become a new center of gravity for foreign fighters, said Jennifer Cafarella, national security fellow at the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, D.C.

“The Russia deployment of foreign fighters from Syria into Ukraine internationalizes the Ukraine war, and therefore could link the war in Ukraine to broader cross regional dynamics, particularly in the Middle East,” she said.

im-499212

A Russian serviceman on guard in front of the Kremlin.
Photo: kirill kudryavtsev/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Tens of thousands of Russian troops are inside Ukraine and mortar, missile and other attacks are occurring daily in the northern, eastern and southern regions of the country. Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have fled the cities, which were home to roughly two-thirds of the population before the invasion began Feb. 24.

Ukraine remains in the hands of Mr. Zelensky’s government, and the largest cities, Kyiv, the capital, and Kharkiv in the east, remain under government control. Russia has taken over the port city of Kherson, and Ukraine’s other cities now face an assault from Russia.

Syrian fighters have spent nearly a decade fighting urban warfare, while Russia’s largely conscripted force lacks this skill set. Ms. Cafarella said Syrian forces deployed to Ukraine could also be asked to work a support role, based on how they worked in Syria with the Wagner Group, a mercenary force that some see as a proxy for the Russian government.

Russia has been a key backer of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad since it entered that conflict, largely through airstrikes, as well as Russian armed forces. The Wagner Group, which arrived in Syria shortly after Russia entered the conflict on behalf of the Assad regime, has conducted support operations such as seizing oil and gas fields and securing other government infrastructure, such as airports.

Russia, which positioned nearly 200,000 troops along the Ukrainian border in the weeks leading up to the invasion, said Wednesday 498 of its troops have been killed and another 1,597 have been injured, a rare public admission of battlefield losses. Others have put the figures much higher, including the Ukrainian armed forces’ general staff, which, according to a Reuters report, said the estimate for Russian troop deaths was closer to 11,000.

—Michael R. Gordon contributed to this article.

Write to Gordon Lubold at Gordon.Lubold@wsj.com, Nancy A. Youssef at nancy.youssef@wsj.com and Alan Cullison at alan.cullison@wsj.com

Daps
Yep. I'm seeing a lot of whataboutery from pro-Russian folks on Twitter.

I saw one saying that Brittney Griner's charges are bad, but what about drug charges here in the U.S. :dwillhuh:

fukking pathetic, isn't it? It's quite absurd that the voices of pea-brained idiots are not only tolerated, but amplified, in this day and age. It's a shame that these dimwits can't be put in stocks in the village square and pelted with rotten vegetables for their abject stupidity.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:francis: just this morning I saw a Ukrainian "report" claiming 11, 000 killed. I personally think it's about half the American # if that

bnew

Veteran
Daps

snippet:
“As of today, our assets still greatly exceed our liabilities, and we remain confident that Buyk’s proven ultrafast grocery model can make real-time retail a reality in the United States,” Walker said.

The 2% of employees that are not being furloughed are operations, HR, finance, legal and IT staff.

At least one Buyk employee did not know they were being furloughed until they were contacted by The Post.

“Once this goes public it will be bad,” the employee said. “A lot of the employees are single parents, mostly dads who have child support debt.”

After The Post broke the news, some Buyk corporate employees received calls telling them they were being furloughed, while others just received emails, sources said.

“Couriers are being told by email,” one Buyk employee steamed to The Post. “That’s how little respect they have for them.”

On Friday afternoon before announcing the furloughs, Buyk had abruptly sent workers home due to what the company claimed were technical problems.

“They just stated it’s an IT issue and won’t be resolved quickly so they sent everyone home,” one employee said. “Very random.”

Russian-Backed ‘Buyk' Shuts Down in NYC

I was just trying to order from there which lead me to looking for a promo code when the one i used before said invalid and I find this news instead. :francis:

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Russia getting desperate :picard:

WSJ News Exclusive | Russia Recruiting Syrians for Urban Combat in Ukraine, U.S. Officials Say

Russia Recruiting Syrians for Urban Combat in Ukraine, U.S. Officials Say
Moscow is looking for help from foreign fighters to take cities including Kyiv
By Gordon Lubold , Nancy A. Youssef and Alan Cullison
March 6, 2022 5:37 pm ET
im-499210

Buildings damaged by shelling in Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city.
Photo: OLEKSANDR LAPSHYN/REUTERS

WASHINGTON—Moscow is recruiting Syrians skilled in urban combat to fight in Ukraine as Russia’s invasion is poised to expand deeper into cities, according to U.S. officials.

An American assessment indicates that Russia, which has been operating inside Syria since 2015, has in recent days been recruiting fighters from there, hoping their expertise in urban combat can help take Kyiv and deal a devastating blow to the Ukraine government, according to four American officials. The move points to a potential escalation of fighting in Ukraine, experts said.

It is unclear how many fighters have been identified, but some are already in Russia preparing to enter the conflict, according to one official.

Officials declined to elaborate on what else is known about the deployment of Syrian fighters to Ukraine, the status or precise scale of the effort.

The 10-Point.
A personal, guided tour to the best scoops and stories every day in The Wall Street Journal.

According to a publication based in Deir Ezzor, Syria, Russia has offered volunteers from the country between $200 and $300 “to go to Ukraine and operate as guards” for six months at a time.

im-499118

Ramzan Kadyrov, leader of the Chechen Republic.
Photo: Yelena Afonina/Zuma Press
Syrians aren’t the only foreigners said to be involved in the invasion of Ukraine. Chechen forces have also been deployed to Ukraine, according to a Reuters reportciting Ramzan Kadyrov, the leader of the Chechen Republic and an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Fighters are also pouring into the country to fight on the side of the Kyiv-based government. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said last week that 16,000 foreigners have volunteered to fight for Ukraine, part of what he described as an “international legion.”

With volunteers from other countries flowing into Ukraine, the conflict there could become a new center of gravity for foreign fighters, said Jennifer Cafarella, national security fellow at the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, D.C.

“The Russia deployment of foreign fighters from Syria into Ukraine internationalizes the Ukraine war, and therefore could link the war in Ukraine to broader cross regional dynamics, particularly in the Middle East,” she said.

im-499212

A Russian serviceman on guard in front of the Kremlin.
Photo: kirill kudryavtsev/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Tens of thousands of Russian troops are inside Ukraine and mortar, missile and other attacks are occurring daily in the northern, eastern and southern regions of the country. Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have fled the cities, which were home to roughly two-thirds of the population before the invasion began Feb. 24.

Ukraine remains in the hands of Mr. Zelensky’s government, and the largest cities, Kyiv, the capital, and Kharkiv in the east, remain under government control. Russia has taken over the port city of Kherson, and Ukraine’s other cities now face an assault from Russia.

Syrian fighters have spent nearly a decade fighting urban warfare, while Russia’s largely conscripted force lacks this skill set. Ms. Cafarella said Syrian forces deployed to Ukraine could also be asked to work a support role, based on how they worked in Syria with the Wagner Group, a mercenary force that some see as a proxy for the Russian government.

Russia has been a key backer of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad since it entered that conflict, largely through airstrikes, as well as Russian armed forces. The Wagner Group, which arrived in Syria shortly after Russia entered the conflict on behalf of the Assad regime, has conducted support operations such as seizing oil and gas fields and securing other government infrastructure, such as airports.

Russia, which positioned nearly 200,000 troops along the Ukrainian border in the weeks leading up to the invasion, said Wednesday 498 of its troops have been killed and another 1,597 have been injured, a rare public admission of battlefield losses. Others have put the figures much higher, including the Ukrainian armed forces’ general staff, which, according to a Reuters report, said the estimate for Russian troop deaths was closer to 11,000.

—Michael R. Gordon contributed to this article.

Write to Gordon Lubold at Gordon.Lubold@wsj.com, Nancy A. Youssef at nancy.youssef@wsj.com and Alan Cullison at alan.cullison@wsj.com

Syrians don’t know the lay of the land in Ukraine.. They will absolutely get slaughtered plus it’s winter, Syrians don’t know what cold weather is :skip:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
My upstairs neighbor asked me to check her mail for the next couple weeks since she was going back home to moscow to get dental work done....

I'm like... have you been watching the fukking news :why:

I told her there were talks of Martial law being declared in Moscow and she just threw her hands in the air and said she didn't want to hear any of that shyt... :heh:

She'll have fun country-hopping to get there. I think American flights are banned from Russian airspace, Russian flights are banned from American airspace, certain airlines have stopped sending planes to Russia while Russia has stopped sending planes to nations imposing sanctions out of concern they'll be confiscated, and Boeing isn't servicing Russian planes.

Even if she could get in, is she gonna be able to get out a couple weeks from now?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:jbhmm:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-succeed-says-defence-chief-radakin-z36g5btsn

It’s not inevitable Russians will succeed, says defence chief Radakin
Some lead forces have been ‘decimated’
January 07 2022, 10.00pm GMT
Russia’s lead forces have been “decimated” in Ukraine and it is not inevitable that it will succeed in taking over the country, the head of the armed forces has said.

Admiral Sir Tony Radakin, chief of the defence staff, said that Russia has “got itself into a mess” with the invasion of Ukraine which is “not going well”.

He warned that Russia could “turn up the violence” with “more indiscriminate killing and more indiscriminate violence” in response to Ukrainian resistance.

Radakin also directly contradicted Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, who said last week that she supports British citizens who want to fight in Ukraine. He said doing so would be “unlawful and unhelpful”.
Radakin, 56, told Sophie Raworth on BBC One: “ “No. I think we’ve seen a Russian invasion that is not going well. I think we’re also seeing a remarkable resistance by Ukraine, both its armed forces and its people.

“We’re also seeing the unity of the whole globe coming together with a cohesive approach, whether that’s economically, diplomatically, culturally, socially, militarily, applying pressure to Russia, and that needs to continue so that Russia stops this invasion.

“We do know that some of the lead elements of Russian forces have been decimated by the Ukrainian response,” he said.

However, Radakin warned that Russian aggression could be ramped up. “I think there is a real risk because Russia is struggling with its objectives on the ground in Ukraine — and we’ve seen from Russia’s previous actions in Syria and in Chechnya — where it will turn up the violence, it will lead to more indiscriminate killing and more indiscriminate destruction,” he said.

“We have to keep applying the pressure to Russia that this is outrageous and that the sense that because your invasion isn’t going very well, that you just become more and more reckless in applying violence is totally unacceptable.” Radakin said that a no-fly zone over Ukraine would not help and would instead escalate conflict. “The advice that we as senior military professionals are giving our politicians is to avoid doing things that are tactically ineffective and definitely to avoid doing things that tactically might lead to miscalculation or escalation.

“The no-fly zone would not help. Most of the shelling is coming from artillery, most of the destruction is coming from artillery, it’s not coming from Russian aircraft.

“If we were to police a no-fly zone, it means that we probably have to take out Russian defence systems and we would have Nato aircraft in the air alongside Russian aircraft, and then the potential of shooting them down and then that leads to an escalation.” Dominic Raab, the deputy prime minister, said that suggestions that Russia is prepared to deploy nuclear weapons in Ukraine are “rhetoric and brinkmanship”.
He told Sky News: “[Putin’s] got a track record as long as anyone’s arm of misinformation and propaganda . . . this is a distraction from what the real issues are at hand — which is that it’s an illegal invasion and it’s not going to plan.

Raab said that the war in Ukraine will take “months at least”. He told Times Radio: “I think anyone is kidding themselves if they thought within days it would be over. This will take months at least to resolve. And that’s why we need to be in this for the long haul. That’s why the prime minister has said there can be no creeping normalisation.”

Radakin said that the UK still has a direct line of contact into Russia’s Ministry of Defence, and that the line was “tested every day”.
“We’ve used that line for me to say to General Gerasimov [Russia’s military chief] that we need to speak and I’m waiting for him to come back to me, and other countries also have direct lines in,” he said.

“These lines of communication are not as strong as we would want them to be and that’s why we’re furthering them as best as we can.”

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Andrei V Kozyrev

48m • 11 tweets • 2 min read

Lots of discussions about the threat of nuclear war from the Kremlin and whether Putin is rational. I share my thoughts in this thread.

To frame: I do not believe Russia would use nuclear weapons and I believe Putin is a rational actor.

First of all, I want to examine where the questioning of Putin’s rationality started. I think it began because most people, particularly in the West, view his decision to invade Ukraine as utterly irrational. I disagree. It’s horrific, but not irrational.

To understand why the invasion was rational for Putin, we have to step into his shoes. Three beliefs came together at the same time in his calculus:
1. Ukraine’s condition as a country
2. Russian military’s condition
3. The West’s geopolitical condition

1. Ukraine’s condition. Putin spent the last 20 years believing that Ukraine is not a real nation and, at best, should be a satellite state. Maidan ended any hope of keeping Ukraine independent and pro-Kremlin. He thought the West was behind it.
If Ukraine’s government cannot be kept independent and pro-Kremlin covertly, as he likely concluded, then he will overtly force it to be. He also started to believe his own propagandists that Ukraine is run by a Nazi-Bandera junta. Perfect pretext to “de-Nazify” Ukraine.

2. Russian military. The Kremlin spent the last 20 years trying to modernize its military. Much of that budget was stolen and spent on mega-yachts in Cyprus. But as a military advisor you cannot report that to the President. So they reported lies to him instead. Potemkin military

3. The West. The Russian ruling elite believed its own propaganda that Pres. Biden is mentally inept. They also thought the EU was weak because of how toothless their sanctions were in 2014. And then the U.S. botched its withdrawal from Afghanistan, solidifying this narrative.

If you believe all three of the above to be true and your goal is to restore the glory of the Russian Empire (whatever that means), then it is perfectly rational to invade Ukraine.

He miscalculated on all three, but that doesn’t make him insane. Simply wrong and immoral.

So, in my opinion, he is rational. Given that he is rational, I strongly believe he will not intentionally use nuclear weapons against the West. I say intentionally because indiscriminate shelling near a nuclear power plant can cause an unintentional nuclear disaster in Ukraine.

I will take it a step further. The threat of nuclear war is another example of his rationality. The Kremlin knows it can try to extract concessions, whether from Ukraine or the West, by saber-rattling its last remaining card in the deck: nuclear weapons.

The ultimate conclusion here is that the West should not agree to any unilateral concessions or limit its support of Ukraine too much for the fear of nuclear war.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh