Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Breh, stop. China can't even take Taiwan.:hhh:

Can you imagine the US forced to lean back on Puerto Rico?

Or Hawaii even?

Yall brehs truly don't understand the meaning of "superpower". :francis:
China is definitely a superpower, they may not be the LEAD superpower from a geopolitical standpoint but they definitely have advantages that even the U.S don't lead in

Daps
ukraine was in desperate need for good relations with the west, so no, they were not a superpower like russia, which is why they got rid of them. obviously it takes more than the existence of intercontinental threat, but the point is russia has enough of the intangibles coupled with ICBMs to make them a superpower, and not merely a regional power. there have been several TLR moments in here, especially you cheerleaders, but this isnt it.

Breh, a true superpower couldn't have their economy absolutely destroyed in less than a week.:mindblown:

Yall are looking at evidence in real time that proves me right.

Russia has never been a superpower. The USSR was a superpower until it collapsed.

Russia is not, has not, and at this point will probably never be a superpower.

Their economy is smaller than California and yall fools in here calling them a superpower

Yall brehs is off the chain.:gucci:

I came into Higher Learning cause I was sick of the idiocy of TLR but yall got me feeling like leaving here too. Yall really been thinking that Russia is a superpower all this time.:mindblown:

I'm giving proof and evidence that they aren't. Yall haven't pulled one study to show that they are.

Yall keep bringing up nukes. North Korea is about to have nukes. Are they gonna be a superpower too? :gucci:

Daps
China is definitely a superpower, they may not be the LEAD superpower from a geopolitical standpoint but they definitely have advantages that even the U.S don't lead in

What advantages?

I'll grant you that China is close to becoming a superpower within the next decade and a half, but even they aren't there yet.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Wanna see dead ruskies?

civilians will chew them up. Literally.

EDIT: oh you mean for Ukrainians. Well the west of the country is secured. Sooo Russia would have to do something about that.
I dont really want to see dead anyone. The Ukranian defense is admirable but if it becomes clear Russia is willing to go all in they might be doing more damage than it's worth. Hopefully the worst we see is a prolonged siege thats settled as diplomatically as possible.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

This is hilarious because one of the first things I thought when I heard about the planes was, "they're gonna have EU pilots flying that shyt in Ukrainian uniforms." Probably on some "'ain't allowed to eject or surrender, your body better burn up on impact if you go down" shyt.

Daps
All you brehs who keep saying russia and China are superpowers need to read this. It pretty much encapsulates the reasoning behind why the US is known as the world's last superpower.

:ufdup:

It lays out the reasons why Russia and China have yet to achieve that status. Im putting it in spoilers so as to not clutter the thread

@Loose @Rhakim @klientel @MoneyTron

Tufts Now: You detail many reasons why the U.S. is the world’s preeminent power—what are, say, the top two reasons?

Michael Beckley: First, the United States has a huge lead by the most important measures of national power. China is the only country that comes close, and America still has three times China’s wealth and five times its military capabilities. That gap would take decades to close even if things go badly for the United States.

Second, things probably won’t go badly for the United States, at least relatively speaking, because it has the best long-term economic growth prospects among the major powers. Economists have shown that long-run growth depends on a country’s geography, demography, and political institutions. The United States has an edge in all three categories.

Geographically, the United States is a natural economic hub and military fortress. It’s packed with resources and has more economic arteries like navigable waterways and ports than the rest of the world combined. Its only neighbors are Canada and Mexico. China, by contrast, has burned through its resources and is surrounded by nineteen countries, many of which are hostile or unstable, and ten of which still claim parts of China’s territory as their own.

Demographically, America is the only nation that is simultaneously big, young, and highly educated. The U.S. workforce is the third largest, second youngest, most educated in years of schooling, and most productive among the major powers—and it is the only major workforce that will grow throughout this century.

China, by contrast, will lose 200 million workers over the next thirty years and add 300 million senior citizens. Chinese workers produce six times less wealth per hour than American workers on average. More than two-thirds of China’s workers lack a high school education; and one-third of Chinese young people entering the workforce have an IQ below 90, largely a result of malnutrition, poor care, and pollution.

Institutionally, the United States is a mess, but China’s system is worse. The United States is a flawed democracy, but China is an oligarchy ruled by a dictator for life. Special interests drag down U.S. growth and fuel corruption and inequality, but the Chinese Communist Party systematically sacrifices economic efficiency and promotes corruption and inequality to maintain political control.

What about Russia? It has a huge nuclear arsenal, bullies its neighbors and asserts its power farther abroad in conflicts like that in Syria. Should we be more concerned?

Russia threatens many U.S. interests—it menaces U.S. allies, props up U.S. adversaries such as Iran and Syria, murders pro-democracy advocates, meddles in elections, and has recently seized foreign territory near its borders—but Russia is not poised to become a rival superpower like the Soviet Union was.

Russia’s military budget is ten times smaller than America’s. Its economy is smaller than that of Texas and its population will shrink 30 percent over the next thirty years. Russia has no meaningful allies, and it faces NATO, the most powerful alliance in history, on its borders. The United States needs to worry about Russia’s nefarious activities—especially its election meddling and paramilitary encroachments in the Baltics—but it can do so without gearing up for another Cold War.

Superstar
Daps
:ohhh:
Nicca.... I think I could do this :ohhh:

Its super easy if you know which buttons to push. Ours were never labeled but you’re good as long as you don’t hit the fire suppression switch, that’s wired down, especially when your team leader is inside helping you finish maintenance, like me dikkhead soldier did once.

You turn on the the electricity, Check gauges for faults, turn on the engine, check gauges, remove the parking break and go. Tanks with turbine engines are a little different though.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
That's every war ever. American media has always been just as pro-military as our education system, scientists, and both parties.
Yeah, but I'm not sure every war was in the midst of a popular anti-gun violence movement. Just interesting how quickly they change face these days. In the past there would at least be some time and buildup in the narrative from rabidly anti-gun one day, to praising arming Ukranians to the teeth the next.

Daps
Its super easy if you know which buttons to push. Ours were never labeled but you’re good as long as you don’t hit the fire suppression switch, that’s wired down, especially when your team leader is inside helping you finish maintenance, like me dikkhead soldier did once.

You turn on the the electricity, Check gauges for faults, turn on the engine, check gauges, remove the parking break and go. Tanks with turbine engines are a little different though.

:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

Wow. I never really thought about it before but you just assume that operating a tank would be extremely hard to do.

:ohhh: