Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I just want post-Putin Russia to have leadership that realizes that their only two real options are pursuing power as an active member of Europe or being China's rump state. Tired of Putin pursuing this dumbass dream of the U.S.S.R. being a major post-Cold War power again. GTFO. Just as ridiculous as the UK pursuing Brexit because they think they can be a major empire on their own again.

I'm sort of overwhelmed by this moment in history. I just want to get through this issue with as little death and destruction as possible before we fire up a thread on how this changes the face of Europe going forward.

That’s been the running theme for a few of these powerful countries lately. Brits, Russians, Chinese, America under Trump, pretty common theme of some mythical return to glory with Putin’s being a synthesis of Tsarist and Soviet Russia. Problem is he isn’t a Romanov and this iteration of Russia isn’t the same player on the world stage that the USSR was nor do they at least offer an ideological alternative from other states.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Stop making excuses for terrible war strategy and execution by Putin.

If anything Putin expected Trump to get another 4 years to further push Russian Propaganda on the GOP base.

This invasion is 4 years early. He rushed it Trump is losing his influence so he needed to act fast. He needed American's to excuse this invasion and support him. Trump having 8 years pushing Russian brainwashing was his plan.

Also, Covid restrictions are being lifted and the race issues are pretty quiet. The country is normalizing. Putin was losing his grip. He needed to act fast.
I am not making excuses, I think Putin is insane.

Just theorizing why would he do this now. The only reason I can see is this was something he wanted to do in a easier environment. The support and messaging America did for this invasion is a major reason it’s going so bad. A Trump presidency would have hemmed and hawed and basically made all of this a lot smoother for Russia.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
Strongmen like Putin believe in nothing beyond themselves. Their malignant narcissism puts them above anything else. They can’t understand the idea that institutions or documents can be something greater than them. They care only for weaponizing hate of an “other” to aggrandize power by forcing loyalty through fear. Strongmen like Putin see nothing above themselves.

That’s why Putin assumed Zelensky would flee and Ukraine would just give up. Because, if he were in that situation, that’s precisely what he would do.

But the greatest generation’s gift to us put in place something greater than any individual. And the idea of self determination of a democratic republic is one that we and Europe know is greater than any one individual. And the rule based order of alliances between us and Europe based on these values. And since we see it threatened in a way we have seen it threatened before - and millions died to stop it - Europe will rally around it.
I don't think this is that true because Orban and Erdogan are authoritarian strongmen yet they're part of this US-European coalition. The US consistently allies with dictators, strongmen and authoritarians as long as they fit into America's the broader global hegemonic position. That's the only rule. Saudis sure as hell ain't a democratic republic yet America is bending over backwards to help them perpetuate genocide in Yemen, to say nothing of America's history propping up dictators in Latin/South America and Africa.

brandy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I have a theory that is off the wall but this invasion might have been planned for the end of Trump's term but then COVID happened….

Everything we are seeing now makes more sense in 2019 than it does in 2022. Also in 2019 I think Russia pulls it off.

It's not off the wall at all, but I think folks, especially us Americans, give our country way too much self-importance in the world. Russia invading Ukraine impacts primarily Europe because they are within striking distance, and will feel the most pain by their response. Those most effective sanctions have come from their neighboring countries. We can only do so much afar. Trump talked so much mess about NATO and sowed so much distrust in leaders that if this happened under him, the response would have gone outside of Putin's sphere of control or intelligence. I think the response would have been similar, but another leader would have led it.

Putin thought he could false-flag, and got caught because US tech watches everyone.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
That is what scares me as well. The risk is worth it with China rise to be honest. China is all about expansion and that's their model since the beginning kingdoms.

I don't think Japan will go back to the barbaric ways of its past they were an imperialist country comparable to Russia/Germany back then. I also think the citizens of that country will not let it go that far.

Hopefully not, but Japan’s far right definitely have similar sentiments that you’d find in other politically unsavory circles. Not to mention they got the bomb dropped on em and surrendered. For a country with the type of history Japan has when it comes to that type of stuff you’d have to at least anticipate a potential “Make Nippon Great Again” type of movement. But best case scenario they’d just be a much stronger SK.

Plus, one thing different now from then is that the neighborhood is pretty strong and can hold its own which deters any thoughts of Japanese expansionism. Also, the desperate need for resources isn’t nearly as acute given Japan’s full integration into the global market which has been ongoing for decades as opposed to only recently joining the fold a la the Meiji Restoration of the mid-ish 19th century which led to the eventual modernization and rise of Imperial Japan.

Kiev Beyond Thunderdome Part 2…:lupe:

Eight years later and Maidan Square might be set alight once again. Kiev is roughly the size of Chicago from what I heard so the potential urban warfare that could happen is horrific to even imagine.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
This shyt going to be crazy as fukk for Russia in the morning. Have we seen anything that is expected like this in our lifetime? USSR collapsing might not match the financial impact Russia will feel tomorrow.
I remember when the USSR collapsed back in 1989 and I’m here again for it in 2022