Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
Damn it feels like Kyiv is about to get leveled

Have the talks at the Belarus border started yet?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Two of Russia's billionaires call for peace in Ukraine

Two of Russia's billionaires call for peace in Ukraine
LONDON (Reuters) - Two Russian billionaires, Mikhail Fridman and Oleg Deripaska, called for an end to the conflict triggered by President Vladimir Putin’s assault on Ukraine, with Fridman calling it a tragedy for both countries’ people.

Russian businessman, co-founder of Alfa-Group Mikhail Fridman attends a conference of the Israeli Keren Hayesod foundation in Moscow, Russia, September 17, 2019. Pavel Golovkin/Pool via REUTERS

Billionaire Fridman, who was born in western Ukraine, told staff in a letter that the conflict was driving a wedge between the two eastern Slav peoples of Russia and Ukraine who have been brothers for centuries.

“I was born in Western Ukraine and lived there until I was 17. My parents are Ukrainian citizens and live in Lviv, my favourite city,” Fridman wrote in the letter, excerpts of which Reuters saw.

“But I have also spent much of my life as a citizen of Russia, building and growing businesses. I am deeply attached to the Ukrainian and Russian peoples and see the current conflict as a tragedy for them both.”

Russian billionaire, Oleg Deripaska, used a post on Telegram to called for peace talks to begin “as fast as possible”.

“Peace is very important,” said Deripaska, who is the founder of Russian aluminium giant Rusal, in which he still owns a stake via his shares in its parent company En+ Group.

On Feb. 21, Deripaska said there would not be a war.

Washington imposed sanctions on Deripaska and other influential Russians because of their ties to Putin after alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election, which Moscow denies.

Russia’s so-called oligarchs, who once exercised significant influence over President Boris Yeltsin in the 1990s, are facing economic chaos after the West imposed severe sanctions on Russia over Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Putin, after consulting his security council of senior officials, said he ordered the special military operation to protect people, including Russian citizens, from “genocide” - an accusation the West calls baseless propaganda.

The Ukrainian president’s office said negotiations between Kyiv and Moscow would be held at the Belarusian-Ukrainian border.

“This crisis will cost lives and damage two nations who have been brothers for hundreds of years,” Fridman said.

“While a solution seems frighteningly far off, I can only join those whose fervent desire is for the bloodshed to end. I’m sure my partners share my view.”

One of Fridman’s long-term partners, Pyotr Aven, attended a meeting at the Kremlin with Putin and 36 other major Russian businessmen last week, the Kremlin said.

Another Moscow billionaire told Reuters on condition of anonymity that the war was going to be a catastrophe.

“It is going to be catastrophic in all senses: for the economy, for relations with the rest of the world, for the political situation,” the billionaire said.

The billionaires who gathered for a meeting with Putin in the Kremlin on Thursday were silent, he said.

“Businessmen understand very well the consequences. But who is asking the opinion of business about this?”

($1 = 0.7460 pounds)

Additional reporting by Alex Marrow in Moscow; writing by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Kevin Liffey and Angus MacSwan

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
This point is just not grasped upon enough by enough people. I personally watched it happen to my parent’s country and the protests of everyday people was drowned out by trash media coverage that was clearly slanted by West driven agendas all because the bad actors have been in bed with America/West for years. No worries about the actual people wanting change, what America wants matters more. Who America is friends with counts more than people fighting for a free and fair society.

You had Obama calling a dictatorship a democracy when he visited, various establishment Dems were cuttin favors and looking the other way on rampant corruption and killing in the country. They even unilaterally started a war with a neighbor and it was the neighbor that was sanctioned because they have bad relations with America. Like, picture Ukraine in reverse basically give or take a few differences and you get the conflict in Ethiopia. If you’re with the program you’ll be thoroughly defended by America so long as certain terms are met. Bottom line.

Yeah fukk that, just because America isn’t wrong in this instance doesn’t mean we get to blind ourselves to the other shyt. Especially when it comes to Black and Brown nations.

Before the slow posters respond with more slow shyt, just know that I’ve been much closer to how Ukrainians in the diaspora are feeling right now within the past year (and it really hasn’t gone away) than any of y’all have ever been. Comfortable as shyt watching it all unfold like it’s a movie a lot of y’all never felt that fear of losing loved ones tho. Y’all fam didn’t flee their home because a Soviet or American or Frenchman or Brit cut down a worthy leader and put in someone for their own gains. When you’re freaking out because there’s a chance your family might be killed and YOUR government is egging the shyt on then talk to me outside of that go fukk yourself.

You can sympathize about how you relate with the struggles of Ukrainians.

However, they will never say they relate to the struggles of your country.

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
delayed until tomorrow
Damn expecting Putin to go hard tonight with shelling and missiles then as a way to “convince” Ukraine to agree to his terms

If no agreement is met then he really unleashes on Kyiv and the entire eastern front and blitzes with soldiers and tanks

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
You can sympathize about how you relate with the struggles of Ukrainians.

However, they will never say they relate to the struggles of your country.

That very well could be the case breh, but I’m still going to sympathize. I can admit I’m at least slightly triggered given how recently it was that America was threatening to invade. If Russia/China didn’t come to Ethiopia’s aid at the UNSC it would’ve ended up a bloody shytshow and we’d be in an even worse position since the old regime would’ve been making their return. America wanted to do to us (reinstall a friendly puppet govt) what Russia wants to do with Ukraine now. But hardly anyone bats an eye because the West is typically painted as a “beacon of light and virtue” when they’re just better at hiding their crude nature.

For all intents and purposes those are typically the bad guys (China/Russia), but those two countries might’ve saved people like my grandma from being killed by maniacal ethnofascists with an American battery in their back. That’s why shyt is relative in geopolitics it isn’t a movie it’s a delicate dance of ideological interests where morals are optional. Despite what some of our more naive posters would like to think.