Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Payday23

Superstar
Daps
This is what I mean when I say y'all treat war like sports. Sorry but there isn't any scoreboard, there's no bracket to advance out of, no one has a win-loss record and the "stats" are meaningless. And stanning a country's military is ridiculous.

What actually matters in war is who dies, who is maimed, who is psychologically scarred for life, who is displaced, who grows up without a father, who governs the nation afterwards and how they govern it, who stays occupied and how they occupy it, how the rule of law works out going forward, and what those nations continue to do in their next engagements. And none of that can be broken down so easily into sides and Ws and Ls. A ton of people lose in every war and very few people win.

For the W-L folk, I'm interested as to who you think won Syria, Libya, Somalia, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, our many invasions of Haiti and various central american nations, etc. Are we winning in Yemen and Pakistan, or does it not count if it's drones? Not that the answer matters, it's just the minimalization of our many disasters is sad.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
This is what I mean when I say y'all treat war like sports. Sorry but there isn't any scoreboard, there's no bracket to advance out of, no one has a win-loss record and the "stats" are meaningless. And stanning a country's military is ridiculous.

What actually matters in war is who dies, who is maimed, who is psychologically scarred for life, who is displaced, who grows up without a father, who governs the nation afterwards and how they govern it, who stays occupied and how they occupy it, how the rule of law works out going forward, and what those nations continue to do in their next engagements. And none of that can be broken down so easily into sides and Ws and Ls. A ton of people lose in every war and very few people win.

For the W-L folk, I'm interested as to who you think won Syria, Libya, Somalia, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, our many invasions of Haiti and various central american nations, etc. Are we winning in Yemen and Pakistan, or does it not count if it's drones? Not that the answer matters, it's just the minimalization of our many disasters is sad.
while im typically with you about the w/l and memery stuff in here.... i think that's kinda off the mark too. war in itself is a humanitarian disaster, and i also genuinely believe that folks are outright dismissive of the majority of ukranian pitfalls. at the same time, there's losses and then there are losses.

but more than anything else, people just gotta quantify some of these things better lol.

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
"Terrible" is hyperbole. The only losses that America has are the below:

1. War of 1812
  2. Vietnam War
  3. Afghanistan War

Afghanistan specifically,

America won the war, but lost the peace. :mjgrin:

Ironically, I think you can argue the same for the Taliban, in the end, it is a Lose/Lose for all parties.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Afghanistan specifically,

America won the war, but lost the peace. :mjgrin:

Ironically, I think you can argue the same for the Taliban, in the end, it is a Lose/Lose for all parties.
We could of stayed there for 20 more years and still would have the same result. Too much corruption and mismanagement to allow Afghanistan to stand on its own AND fight the Taliban.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
"The Russians took Iranian instructors to the territory of the temporarily occupied Kherson Region and Crimea to launch Shahed-136 kamikaze drones," the government body alleged, citing Ukrainian underground resistance. "They teach the Russians how to use kamikaze drones, and directly monitor the launch of drones on Ukrainian civilian targets, including strikes on Mykolaiv and Odesa."

Iran asks its citizens to leave Ukraine immediately​

Additionally on Friday, the Iranian Foreign Ministry advised all Iranian citizens in Ukraine to leave immediately.

smh
I have little doubt they were targeted as soon as they learned what they were doing

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps

We already get it man..you're smarter than everyone.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
while im typically with you about the w/l and memery stuff in here.... i think that's kinda off the mark too. war in itself is a humanitarian disaster, and i also genuinely believe that folks are outright dismissive of the majority of ukranian pitfalls. at the same time, there's losses and then there are losses.

but more than anything else, people just gotta quantify some of these things better lol.

Quantify what? The posts I was complaining about were "Ra Ra America!" and bringing up the fukking War of 1812. There was nothing there that needed to be 'quantified' for any practical or useful reason, it was a blatant attempt to treat sides in a war like sports rooting interests and stan (or disparage) countries as an idea rather than the actual country we happen to be living in right now. Who won the War of 1812 or World War I is not a strong argument point in debating the quality of the American experience right now in 2022. Same goes for try to nail down "stats" like whether or not Afghanistan was a loss so we can put it in the right place in America's W-L record. In the context of the conversation, the only point seemed to be getting brag about how few "L's" the American military had taken compared to the Russia military. Which beyond being a waste of time, I find pretty repulsive considering the impact that virtually every one of these engagements in discussion has on the people involved.

We already get it man..you're smarter than everyone.

Posts like this are fascinating cause they really put the insecurities on full blast. I made a short comment complaining that I don't like how flippiantly we're treating war, and you pivot to....intellect? WTF would intelligence have to do with my post?