Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
fukk the Russians apparently called the US, UK, French and Turkish defence ministers today to tell them the Ukrainians are preparing a "dirty bomb" attack in Kherson or somewhere else and that they will take appropriate measures :snoop:

US defense secretary said thats bs, big cap all of the above and warned the Russians not to do it. fukking hell
Yeah they aren’t retreating from Kherson without doing something just to get at Ukraine

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
He full well knows that, but the "ra ra" shyt dominates everything.

Push Out Of The Way GIFs | Tenor

My predictions in this thread thus far have been more accurate than any other poster or news source. Period.

Even if Ukraine fails to take Crimea by Halloween they are still closer than anybody but me predicted six months ago.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
At the end of the day, war is how many L's can I force feed my opponent until they cry uncle. That's called a W. Everyone here realizes this as well as how grossly oversimplified that distillation is. Everyone also knows that war means people are maimed and killed but I'm not gonna turn every post I make in this thread into a memoriam for the dead either.

Not just grossly oversimplified, it's meaningless. Taliban never cried "uncle", they always had a longer view of the timeline and knew where their advantages lay, but you were promoting that as some big win for the US military with smileys and everything. North Korea never cried uncle either but no one wanted to bring that up as a United States loss, same for the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia or the Communist government in Laos or Somalia or Syria or any number other of failed invasions and incursions.

Not to mention, again, that any evaulation of a war that is solely based on military actions without understanding of how the actual on-the-ground reality is affected and how many people die or have their lives changed and how it impacts the political situation going forward is a massive distraction. It's tunnel-visioned shyt like that that had us running into Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place without regard for the consequences (and MANY such actions before that).

And no one asked you to turn every post into a memoriam for the dead, but yeah, a lot of your posts are way over the top in terms of the "ra ra America!" shyt. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think those attitudes towards war aren't part of the reason why it's so easy for Americans to disasociate themselves from the consequences of their bombing campaigns, drone wars, arms deals with damn near every nation on Earth, invasions at the drop of a hate, and so on. It's tough as hell to actually draw people's attention to the staggering human cost when 90% of the attention is focused on, "BUT HOLY shyt THIS IS SO COOL DID YOU SEE THAT THING BLOW UP!" as if real people with families and lives didn't get torn to pieces when it happened.

It's not just that "Oh, someone chose to focus on a different opinion". It's that all the militaristic focus on how cool winning military engagements is makes it actively more difficult for those of us who actually want to work to end war or at least make it less common. Someone who gets off on the USA demonstrating its incredible firepower is going to have a conflict of interest with the USA pulling back from engaging in international violence. Someone who finds glee in ultramodern military power is going to catch feelings when we talk about reducing the defense budget. Maybe that's not actually you but it's people who see you online.

So far as the whole "Ra Ra America" shyt goes, I am not a "My country right or wrong" ass hole. When the U.S. fukks up at home or abroad I am the first to call it out because I actually care about the nation I was born in and call home. But when the U.S. steps up to the plate to do some good, you're goddamn right I'm gonna give em a public round of applause. The U.S. has so much weight to throw around that it's stupid and is often misused. Seeing it get behind what I believe is a noble cause is dope....

What exactly are you mad about again?

Oh, and Crimea by Halloween. 🎃

It's not about "my country right or wrong", it's about glorifying killing and destruction for its own sake because it's so fun to watch shyt blow up and see some politician you don't like take an L (even though it is NEVER that politician who is actually the one getting killed, rarely even his family and loved ones) or have some online prediction you made come true.

The more the energy goes in that direction, the harder it is to get people behind solutions that would actually result in less suffering. If it came down to a decision between 20,000 more Crimean deaths or just allowing Russia to retain Crimea in order to end the war, which would you root for? What if the vast majority of Crimeans would rather the war ended, would that matter? Would you push for the option that might result in 20,000 more deaths because the L you were hoping for Putin hadn't yet metastized to the degree you hoped?

And maybe you're a really mature guy and can parse those things just fine....but the energy you and others put out here still is taken in by a lot of others who aren't nearly as mature and those masses do impact US policy in the end. I mean the "ra ra America!" propaganda still has some 80-90% of Americans supporting the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings a good 77 years later even though that was one of the single most disgusting acts of terror against a civilian population in the history of war and had been opposed by virtually every one of our major military leaders because it was completely immaterial to winning the war.

But there is literally no limit to the extent of death and evil acts that can be supported by a nation's people when "ra ra military!" and nationalism are combined. Sadly we've seen that over and over again.

Last edited:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
And maybe you're a really mature guy and can parse those things just fine....but the energy you and others put out here still is taken in by a lot of others who aren't nearly as mature and those masses do impact US policy in the end.
So far as the people on the ground go and how they are represented in this thread, I have posted several videos with civilian interviews because they put faces on these events that make this war. You gotta zoom in and zoom out to better understand.
Taliban never cried "uncle", they always had a longer view of the timeline and knew where their advantages lay, but you were promoting that as some big win for the US military with smileys and everything. North Korea never cried uncle either but no one wanted to bring that up as a United States loss, same for the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia or the Communist government in Laos or Somalia or Syria or any number other of failed invasions and incursions.
When did I promote Afghanistan as a big win for the U.S.? When Kabul fell I was convincing posters that people survived hanging outside of cargo planes. That's how much I cared about that fukked up war. I did however point out (correctly) that the Pentagon will and has leaned and taken much away from that conflict. And how dare you sir call into question my use of smilies? I will not stand for ad hominem attacks which call into question my message board etiquette. I don't know about you but every time I step into Higher Learning I rest my hand on the "NO BS" banner, take a deep breath and do my best to provide the people with the kind of quality posts they have come to expect from me.

As for those other wars that you and only you are bringing up in this thread, they get one bar:
vBqz04I.png
Go make a thread about them.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
When did I promote Afghanistan as a big win for the U.S.

I said you raved about it as "some big win for the US military with smileys and everything". Which was here:

Afghan war was a humanitarian disaster but from the Pentagon's point of view it was a way to show the world that the U.S. could kick ass for longer than any historic global power in the nation that empires go to die and just walk away like "Later, Jack!" :smugbiden: Brush it off and then drop 20 billion in 8 months in a proxy war against Russia in Eastern Europe... :banderas: The U.S. war machine is on
Cant Stop Wont Stop GIFs | Tenor
24/7/365. For good or bad, it moves like no other military has ever been able to now or ever. Seeing Russian forces ape Western tactics is like watching kids play dress up. It's fukking so stupid whenever I hear "Russia ain't even really flexing like that yet." :beli: My guy, If the U.S. really really says "I had do it to 'em" @Unknown Poster and well, does it to 'em... it'll be a sight to behold.

Again, I feel pretty good about my characterization of that comment as well as the rest of what I had to say and will stand on it.

As for those other wars that you and only you are bringing up in this thread, they get one bar:
vBqz04I.png
Go make a thread about them.

I think it's indicative of the point I was making that you ignore/mock all of my substantial concerns and instead are aiming at the tiny points that addressed, "But did the USA military win or not!"

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I said you raved about it as "some big win for the US military with smileys and everything". Which was here:

Again, I feel pretty good about my characterization of that comment as well as the rest of what I had to say and will stand on it.

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of my intent. And in reading what I said again, I find myself completely agreeing with myself. :skip: Point out any falsehoods in that statement if you can. It's all facts, my guy.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Crimea is not being taken by the end of the month or even the end of the year. Russia would have to completely abandon everything between Ukraine and the peninsula.

not a lot to hold between Kherson and Crimea after they take Nova Kakhovka unless the Russians are truly suicidal

it's mostly open terrain of agriculture fields, sand dunes, and marshes

Orbital is being generous but not by a lot

Russians started looting Kherson city even large statues and destroying infrastructure doesn't look like they'll be staying

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
not a lot to hold between Kherson and Crimea after they take Nova Kakhovka unless the Russians are truly suicidal

it's mostly open terrain of agriculture fields, sand dunes, and marshes

Orbital is being generous but not by a lot

Ukraine gonna
Thriller GIF - Find on GIFER
into Crimea on the 31st.