Rumor: Xbox getting rid of Xbox Gold, online will be free (Update: Live is randomly currently free )

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
:stopitslime: You obviously aint know what SEGANet was. They Servers were quality, paid for and maintained by SEGA themselves:blessed:
Microsoft could have done the same thing, but instead they knew their members were young and guillable enough to pay for what was free on other consoles :mjlol:

Playstation 2 relied on the Game Developers themselves to pay for the servers, so they were hit or miss depending on who owned them:yeshrug:
sega was anywhere close to xbl? Seriously say this shyt with a straight face. I’m old enough to know what Dreamcast brought you the table. shyt was shyt compared to xbl

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:picard: You must not have been around for the PS2 & Dreamcast online days.

Aint had to pay for none of that console service, as long as you had Broadband/Dialup you was able to play with hundreds of nikkas online :takedat:

Playin NFL 2k1 on Dreamcast over the net was :blessed: that was one of my first tastes of online console gaming + Unreal Tournament :patrice:

I owned a PS2 and used internet “features“ on a friends Dreamcast those services were not as good as nostalgia would have you believe :comeon:

The Dreamcast going the way of the dinosaur despite being a pioneer in the field only further proves my point :sas2:. For them to not monetize those services wasn’t going to be sustainable from a business sense

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
But for PC gaming you don't have to pay to play online and there's literally a bunch of cross play games where I can play for free WITH people on Xbox or Playstation...
PC servers are trash tho.

Bunch of hackers and shyt, theres a reason pc players are begging to be allowed on console servers. Theres a reason PC is never the most popular online platform for most multiplayer games despite being free and having the largest install base.

Krazy

Rifle weh taller dan palm tree
Daps
Reppin
Judgement Yard
This might just make me fire up Battlefield.

I rarely play my Xbox so didn’t sign up to gold again or just pay for a month or 3 last time I did.

But free online? I’m down.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
So let me clear up some things about Sega.

Dreamcast online gaming was done via dialup aka house phone line internet. In Japan they had a broadband adapter but internet speeds in America was not ready for that in Sept 99 (it launched 9/9/99)

How was the internet, the multiplayer? Stellar. Chu-Chu Rocket was the first online game for dreamcast and it was relatively lag from for the most part. Sports games struggled Little bit but it wasn't all bad. NFL2K series imo was better on dialup. The lag created unintentional artificial "weight" to the players so let's say you're playing as a defensive back (deion Sanders) and the receiver you're covering does a double move (fake one way direction then runs in another) the lag created this weight and it kinda mirrored real life because of it. And momentum? I've till this day never felt the momentum shifts that was possible in those games. Even a punt return situation had you grinding your toes as you tried to not get beat. All that disappeared once we moved to broadband. Another game that stands out and played fine online was quake 3 arena. This guy below doesn't get it...
SEGAnet was trash. Every game of NBA2k1 and NFL2k1 was laggy. It was only impressive because that was our first time playing online on a console. The browser that came with the disc was slow, and anyone who bought the keyboard lost money.
So quake 3 arena allowed mouse and keyboard. I eventually got ther mouse but started keyboard and controller. 360 degree shooting is an awesome thing but I feel that's weak in a modern day shooter. Typing of the dead was a beast and Sega encouraged its gamers to learn how to code and make games for free for the vmu memory cards. You can say Seganet was like xbox live because you needed internet. Sega was competing with the likes of at&t, comcast/etc with seganet. History lesson over...

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
oh look a situation fakkit ass microsoft created in the console world is now being rolled back by them. are we supposed to be impressed? :hhh:
You should be impressed that Sony followed suit without matching the service, you paid, and now you scheduled to still pay moving forward :bryan:

I think the deal Sony made with Microsoft made it so Microsoft can make this move. Basically Sony gamers paid for live for us, thanks bytches :handshake:
PC servers are trash tho.

Bunch of hackers and shyt, theres a reason pc players are begging to be allowed on console servers. Theres a reason PC is never the most popular online platform for most multiplayer games despite being free and having the largest install base.
Thank you x2 billion

This extremely important factor is not mentioned by any PC gamer ever. Ever ever ever it's never.