Rumor: Xbox getting rid of Xbox Gold, online will be free (Update: Live is randomly currently free )

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Never understood the outrage behind having to pay for online considering our world wasn’t nearly as “connected” as it is now back when Xbox live first started. Y’all act like these servers just setup and maintain themselves for years on end:heh:

Pre-PS4 Sony & Nintendo are prime examples of what you get with free & cheap online:dead:. Microsoft is only able to pull this off because they already have crazy infrastructure in place and doesn’t need the Xbox brand to foot the bill for it
You're caping for companies that shyt on consumers in every way possible...you're part of the problem, as far as these companies knowing they can get away with gouging for everything. I love when nikkas get to using smileys and shyt, not knowing how dumb they sound.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
They must be really banking on game pass. Cause these consoles operate at a loss for years and they make up with these services. If this is true this will huge

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
Needs to happen, and fukk them for making that paying for online shyt popular to begin with. Hopefully Sony follows suit.
They won't, and neither will Nintendo.

This move is pure optics. They's pushing the "pro-consumer" angle hard here, while also trying to make their "Not competition" look bad in the light.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Jesus you’re a Stan

:mjlol:

they about to make that same billions with gamepass so it’s worth the move to them
I’m a “stan” because I don’t think Microsoft will give up easy revenue like that? :gucci:

They’ll move the chess pieces around and play with words so morons like you will think Uncle Phil loves you much and is giving you free shyt.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
I’m a “stan” because I don’t think Microsoft will give up easy revenue like that? :gucci:

They’ll move the chess pieces around and play with words so morons like you will think Uncle Phil loves you much and is giving you free shyt.
You a Stan cause you looking for some of blowback or gotcha moment from MS when it’s clear as day gamepass is the center focus and makes sense why that’s the new cash cow going forward.

All this concern for some something you not even interested in

:unimpressed:

Typical Knicks Fan

F-ing Knicks.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York
Anything to improve the value of the system.

Undercut PlayStation in price and market Gamepass as a yearly subscription to save money on games. I bought another year of Gamepass Ultimate so I want to see what they will do with that now that you don’t need gold to play online. Maybe lower the price from $150 to $100 a year, and keep Gamepass for Xbox at $60 for players who don’t use PC.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
PC players never have to pay to play you money cuck

You're caping for companies that shyt on consumers in every way possible...you're part of the problem, as far as these companies knowing they can get away with gouging for everything. I love when nikkas get to using smileys and shyt, not knowing how dumb they sound.

so yall mad because I said you get what you pay for:dead:. We just gonna totally ignore the 2011 PSN hack (one of the largest data breaches in history w/ 77million users info being stolen and the network being down for 23 days) or how shoddy $20/year Nintendo Online is?

I work in tech so I have a pretty solid understanding of how these decisions are made at a corporate level and what it takes to keep such services running properly over an extended period of time. Of course as a consumer I'm down for paying as little as possible, but I'm not gonna expect any platform that has to host millions of users across the globe concurrently to not be monetized somehow. Customer experience is definitely important and there are right and wrong ways about doing it, but at the same time I think it's crazy to expect a Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc to just be willing to eat the costs of maintaining a fast, massive, and secure online platform because that shyt is not cheap.

So overall, I think it's great that Microsoft is willing to do this, but I'm not gonna necessarily hold the other companies to it because I truly don't think they can from a business perspective. Like, they could maybe do it but good luck telling that to shareholders next quarter without a Gamepass or Azure cloud in your back pocket:mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so yall mad because I said you get what you pay for:dead:. We just gonna totally ignore the 2011 PSN hack (one of the largest data breaches in history w/ 77million users info being stolen and the network being down for 23 days) or how shoddy $20/year Nintendo Online is?

I work in tech so I have a pretty solid understanding of how these decisions are made at a corporate level and what it takes to keep such services running properly over an extended period of time. Of course as a consumer I'm down for paying as little as possible, but I'm not gonna expect any platform that has to host millions of users across the globe concurrently to not be monetized somehow. Customer experience is definitely important and there are right and wrong ways about doing it, but at the same time I think it's crazy to expect a Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc to just be willing to eat the costs of maintaining a fast, massive, and secure online platform because that shyt is not cheap.

So overall, I think it's great that Microsoft is willing to do this, but I'm not gonna necessarily hold the other companies to it because I truly don't think they can from a business perspective. Like, they could maybe do it but good luck telling that to shareholders next quarter without a Gamepass or Azure cloud in your back pocket:mjlol:
But for PC gaming you don't have to pay to play online and there's literally a bunch of cross play games where I can play for free WITH people on Xbox or Playstation...

Nintendo's online service being $20 and garbage has no correlation to it's price. The freaking Playstation Vita had better online service and it was FREE. I know the longer answer but I don't think it's just "cuz they got good service". I think it's due to Xbox monopolizing online play since they can control it on their platform.

Last edited: