Rumor: Sony struggling to keep PS5 parts pricing down...now up to $450 per console

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Albert Penello, said this on resetera.

Some of the smaller details in the article don't make sense to me, although I can agree with the overall conclusions. I sort of said the same thing after their earnings call based on the comments from the CFO - things appear to be trending more expensive and $399 isn't a slam dunk. They would like to wait until Xbox announces price to make the call. I agree with this sentiment.

The actual dollars don't make sense to me because a $450 launch BOM wouldn't be a super hard pill to swallow to launch at $399 assuming they have line-of-sight for that to come down. I think it would need to be much higher for them to waiver like this.

Second, I don't recall cooling solutions being that cheap - even single components within the system. Still it seems hard to believe that cooling (even an exotic solution) would be something that drives up the price. I also don't believe they couldn't design around this issue. It's all memory, silicon yields, storage and spinning media. Those are the big areas. So a significant increase in memory pricing absolutely could be a driver.

My guess is that costs have gone up enough to put them in a weird spot. Depending on what you want to believe about performance - but if they are actually in a 9-10 vs. 12 situation, being at the same price isn't super fun. And if costs have gone up more than they expect, it could be very hard to get to a $100 delta.

That's my take anyway. I don't think it's a revelatory article, more just adding some texture to things that seem to be known.

Like I've said, Sony planned to build a 399.99 at launch and take a minimal hit on it to begin. Microsoft is building something way north of that and when you start thinking about a five hundred dollar console vs a four hundred dollar one in the same time frame and the maker of the five hundred dollar console has basically said we want power, fukk the other shyt. It's two different leagues of hardware here brehs.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Reminds me when I went to a relatives house back in the day. It was his Bday and his mom copped him a PS1. Breh was super hype at first, til he realized he only had the console and no games or extra controllers, dude had like 3 brothers too:laff:

Moms was like "Why you aint happy since you got the Playstation!?" :mjtf:

"I don't have any games":mjcry:
:laff:That's hilarious

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
Haven’t had a PlayStation since PS2. Was expecting a $400-$600 release. All goes to plan imma eat good regardless :eat::blessed:

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
Reminds me when I went to a relatives house back in the day. It was his Bday and his mom copped him a PS1. Breh was super hype at first, til he realized he only had the console and no games or extra controllers, dude had like 3 brothers too:laff:

Moms was like "Why you aint happy since you got the Playstation!?" :mjtf:

"I don't have any games":mjcry:

I'm so glad by the time PlayStation came out I was old enough to have a little bread. Mom's never bought nothing more then the system, and you got games on special clearance occasions :francis:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I love how the coli rhetoric flip flops

Sony launches expensive console:

"of course I can afford it playboi" :birdman:

Microsoft launches expensive console:

"b-b-but what about the soccer moms" :damn:

no next-gen exclusives for new Sony console:

"Sony has never abandoned their previous consoles like 'others' ":francis:

no next-gen exclusives for new Microsoft console:

"games will be held back if they're made with support for older consoles" :francis: