Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
OK, is that common or rare? Zaslav would bank on it if it happened enough. But if it is a special case that's not any type of dependable revenue.
More Common than rare. American Idol got paid just to have Coke products on their table.

Well like you said he’s a numbers guy. But it takes paying creative with proven track records people like Weiner or Lindeloff money to create first and release it.

Can‘t have it both ways.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

giphy.gif

Holy fukking shyt.

This seriously might be the end of HBO.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
If I thought Batgirl was an unfortunate result of restoring the Snydervers I’d understand but since Affleck hasn’t done anything but cameos in the same suit as Bruce (and what he said about it triggering his alcoholis/addiction) this all feels rudderless number crunching.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Ehh. For most people, HBO Max IS HBO now. And relegating their content to category or tab on Discovery + is a huge blow to visibility.
It’s not this new guys fault but coming in after a year of HBOGO,NOW, Max confusion they really didn’t need another rebranding.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Discovery has a lot of valuable content IMO. HBOMax would really have so much quality shyt across every genre if they added Discovery+ catalog to it... which is what was reported a while back.

From a branding perspective, it's bad for HBOMax obviously, and it'll be interesting to see how they price it into Discovery+. I say that because if you're subbed to Discovery+ it's probably because you cut traditional cable but love HGTV and Food Network type of content.

They prolly would have HBO/WB shyt in some premium tier within Discovery. I just reupped my Max subscription last week too.

:francis:

Last edited:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

Ok.....so for shows like Peacemaker, Penguin and stuff, it may be safe and moved to regular HBO. With their teams writers going along as well. I'd imagine that means Peacemaker would show on the HBO channel as well from now on.

As long as all this means I can watch HBO stuff like House of the Dragon w/o a cable sub........I may fukk with the new app, w/e it is :manny:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Ok.....so for shows like Peacemaker, Penguin and stuff, it may be safe and moved to regular HBO. With their teams writers going along as well. I'd imagine that means Peacemaker would show on the HBO channel as well from now on.

As long as all this means I can watch HBO stuff like House of the Dragon w/o a cable sub........I may fukk with the new app, w/e it is :manny:
shyt, I don’t even think that Penguin project is safe anymore.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not this new guys fault but coming in after a year of HBOGO,NOW, Max confusion they really didn’t need another rebranding.

Yeah, they really don't. It was confusing at the beginning, but I think they did a great job of streamlining things down from the Go/Now split to just having Max. Flipping that into another service that doesn't have HBO in the name isn't what I'd consider good.
Discovery has a lot of valuable content IMO. HBOMax would really have so much quality shyt across every genre if they added Discovery+ catalog to it... which is what was reported a while back.

From a branding perspective, it's bad for HBOMax obviously, and it'll be interesting to see how they price it into Discovery+. I say that because if you're subbed to Discovery+ it's probably because you cut traditional cable but love HGTV and Food Network type of content.

They prolly would have HBO/WB shyt in some premium tier within Discovery. I just reupped my Max subscription last week too.

:francis:

Pricing is a tough spot for this. HBO is priced out as a premium service, which people justify not just off the movie library, but seeing the exclusive movies and shows as premium, too. If they're about to scale all that back, might be a tough ask to have people still paying the same amount to get less of that, and all the old episodes of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives that they can stomach. :francis:

It might not be crazy to say even those shows aren't truly safe. James Gunn says Peacemaker is good for its next season, but we really just don't know. They just clapped a show that was supposed to air on TBS like 10 hours before it was supposed to air, and are sitting on at least two feature length movies they're not going to release just for tax reasons. I think just about every fukkery option is on the table.