Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
4K costs money and Emmy's don't bring any money in. I think the success of the streamer is highly exaggerated.
Emmys do bring in money,

You think Mad Men was so successful because of all the eyes on AMC (vs the Walking Dead) or because of all the companies who wanted their names in the show and paid for it?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Those Discovery+ subs are padded too. They claim the majority is for Discovery+ but won’t say exactly how much either.
Whatever the actual numbers if he wants to kille HBOMAX to prop up Discovery +, all he has to do is convince the board it's the right thing and it's done.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Emmys do bring in money,

You think Mad Men was so successful because of all the eyes on AMC (vs the Walking Dead) or because of all the companies who wanted their names in the show and paid for it?
I don't know. Give me a ballpark number on how much Mad Men and their Emmys brought in?

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
? Oh Emmys bring is ad revenue? Largely, that doesn't apply to commercial free streamers.
So you’ve never heard of in show advertising?

And yeah Mad Men had a few companies who paid for in-show advertising like Heinkein and paid for commercial free episodes ie buying up the tv spots.

Heineken, Cadillac, Utz, US Airways, and Smirnoff have all previously arranged for product placement on the show, according to reports.

Product placement, where advertisers pay to get their goods used by actors in films and TV shows, is common practice in the U.S.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

And yeah Mad Men had a few companies who paid for in-show advertising like Heinkein and paid for commercial free episodes ie buying up the tv spots.

Heineken, Cadillac, Utz, US Airways, and Smirnoff have all previously arranged for product placement on the show, according to reports.

Product placement, where advertisers pay to get their goods used by actors in films and TV shows, is common practice in the U.S.
That's not due to the emmy. It was due to the fact that Mad Men was a juggernaut viewer wise.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
That's not due to the emmy. It was due to the fact that Mad Men was a juggernaut viewer wise.
No it wasn’t. Like most premium shows except GOT it wasn’t a water cooler show like the Office or Lost. Rich people watched it and that’s what mattered.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I mean your right and not completely wrong.

All these studios with backlogs of content took 80plus years to create. No one has enough content after one year. That’s what make Netflix a great idea as it was just a central repository for the best of the best.

So they are trying to green light sequels to 80s and 90s tv shows/movies in mass cause it’s easier than shepherding a 100% new idea.

Cable subscriptions weren’t working anymore either cause there were too many channels. That just seems to be the default move by conglomerates.
Yea that is an annoying trend I wish goes away. Movies in general have all felt like fast food the past few years. Aside from marvel a lot of movies are surface level and super phoned in. If these top stars cost so much then stop paying then and hire younger ones that don’t carry a high asking price. Instead spend the money on the director. Idk but this sucks and I don’t care how some will try to justify it financially it seems like a bad idea

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

OK, is that common or rare? Zaslav would bank on it if it happened enough. But if it is a special case that's not any type of dependable revenue.