Roxanne Roxanne|Roxanne Shante Biopic (starring Mahershala Ali, Nia Long ) (Discussion)

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I thought it was cool. It suffered from being low budget because I feel like the film could have done with about 30 extra minutes so it could really expand on certain points of her life. The 4 year time skip really left my mum and I disoriented and I wanted to see a little bit of what her life was after she signed and made the album. It didn’t really dive into hip-hop as much as I hoped it would. We got a brief Biz Markie showing, a brief Nas showing and they barely acknowledged Marley Marl, they posed him as just the DJ.

Overall, I’d give it a 6/10. I’d like more of these films to be made and hopefully with higher budgets and really well thought out scripts.

Last edited:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was ok.

I didnt like the idea of focusing on the relationship aspects and her struggle pretty much exclusively. Felt like I was watching a hiphop Precious.

They pretty much breezed over her career and the success she did have. Barely anything on her tour experinces, her relationship with marley and biz....its like the music was an afterthought in the 2nd half of the movie. shyt was wholly dedicated to her hardships. Didnt feel like a music biopic at all.

Its like if they made a hour and a half beatles movie with an hour focused yoko and drugs. The directors must have had the tina turner movie on repeat while making this

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Y'all forget about that teacher who tried to bring her back on the right path and the dude who tried to keep her away from Cross initially. Sure he got arrested the same night but still lol.

I look at that scene like this, dude tried to rape her cause he was high on coke then gave her all that money cause he was guilty about it and didn't mean to do it.
Yep even though she was wearing the same PJ's the coke had unlocked his thoughts/had him looking at her differently because she started maturing physically. Went from :yeshrug: sober to :whoo::demonic: high off that shyt. Then when he came to his senses it was :sadcam: once he realized all factors involved. He had to eject her for his and her own good.

Dope flick though, i wish they would have ventured further into the KRS ONE beef and all personnel involved with that though. Acting was outstanding, everyone did their thing, especially Nia Long

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Anyone know if the 10gs situation was true?

I wonder that too, as well as what ever became of Cross. Did he go to jail or something?

Yep even though she was wearing the same PJ's the coke had unlocked his thoughts/had him looking at her differently because she started maturing physically. Went from :yeshrug: sober to :whoo::demonic: high off that shyt. Then when he came to his senses it was :sadcam: once he realized all factors involved. He had to eject her for his and her own good.

Dope flick though, i wish they would have ventured further into the KRS ONE beef and all personnel involved with that though. Acting was outstanding, everyone did their thing, especially Nia Long

Facts, the coke was messing his head up. It really was better he kicked her out and he didn't rape her, good he came to his senses.

As for her beef with Krs One I didn't even know about that till seeing the title of her latest vlad interview clip. I have to listen to her speak on that when I get the chance today, the title says it was about The Bridge is Over plus she was cool with Mc Shan so it makes sense.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
But where's the music at though? :ornaw:

:flabbynsick: (Need a smiley of him in a track suit lol)

Last edited:

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
I thought it started off pretty dope but as a few have said the music kind of took a back seat to the drama half way through. Shante clearly lived through some fukked up shyt and that must have been the cautionary tale she wanted to share.

But for someone who doesn't know anything about Roxanne this doesn't do much for her legacy or to really educate on the impact she had on the game.

I enjoyed it for what it was though, better than a lot of these biopic movies.