Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tbh if I hadn't read this I think I would be more critical of the movie.

What other Star Wars books should I read? I have the Thrawn trilogy and Tarkin to read as well.
A canon Thrawn is dropping early next year. Lords of the Sith was a fun read, imo, and even though it is now a Legends title, Darth Plagueis is a must read and flows into Episode 1 nearly the same way Rogue One does with Ep 4

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah. Everything with the pilot was nonsense.

I guess but like... why?

Dude had NO impact on the movie other than giving them a reason to be on that planet in particular.

Pilot and Saw could've and should've been left on the editing floor considering the way the movie went. If the point of the first 2/3s of the film was to highlight how the Rebels had to fight grimey in the war, then there's a hell of a lot more that could've went toward that. They would have even been better off giving time to council members than the pilot and that nobody-goon belonging to Saw.

Now I only my that truth-telling squid was unnecessary, not the PILOT. He's an essential character. As for why that scene was there... I could understand Saw using torture, but that scene just TOOK me out of it. I don't think it needed to be explained that Saw have lost it, it was already mentioned and his team are basically terrorist insurgents... there's nothing more to include.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Now I only my that truth-telling squid was unnecessary, not the PILOT. He's an essential character. As for why that scene was there... I could understand Saw using torture, but that scene just TOOK me out of it. I don't think it needed to be explained that Saw have lost it, it was already mentioned and his team are basically terrorist insurgents... there's nothing more to include.
They could've wrote the pilot out of this entirely and it would've only enhanced the best things about the film.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watch Clone Wars/Rebels. Or did you mean on the big screen?

He's in rebels?? Damn i been slackin. I need to catch up. The space battle at the end those were star destroyers right? But when were the super star destroyers introduced? The Death star was such a game changer for the and all the shyt that went into from the plans in ep 3 up until the OT makes Starkiller base look kinda cheap right now unless all them planets they blew up gave them a significant advantage going forward.

Oh and if Maz could find lukes lightsaber on bespin what are the chances Snoke grabbed Vader's from the death star when looked chopped of his hand? Seems like the logical next thing to give his grandson to unleash the beast

:ohhh:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One thing I just realized too...no one is talking about the jump to hyperspace from atmosphere! Supposed to be super dangerous and especially jumping blind like they did.

Well K2 sorta implied he was still getting the calculations right so they wouldn't go blind, but Cassian said fucck that.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You have forgotten WHO it was that communicated to the Rebel fleet about the shield and everything, right?
I didn't forget at all - I said it should've been written out.

Replace the pilot with any means of coded message between Erso and Saw. Replace the pilot's dialogue with more time to flesh out Cas. The ending sequence where he was so important could've been left to the droid or Ip Man's homie in a myriad of ways. Etc. Write him out.

Dude wasn't worth the screen time. The first half of the movie directly suffers because they tried to focus on him to the point where it left things disjointed.

He was not in anyway INTEGRAL to the film. Nothing substantial came from his presence as it was.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm so pissed starkiller base is a thing
Yeah the more I think about the more I don't like it. They realied way to much on nostalgia of the OT.
I have a feeling Ep 7 will stick out the most if you marathon 1-3, Rogue One, 4-7.

With that said I'm definitely looking forward to 8 and 9.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't forget at all - I said it should've been written out.

Replace the pilot with any means of coded message between Erso and Saw. Replace the pilot's dialogue with more time to flesh out Cas. The ending sequence where he was so important could've been left to the droid or Ip Man's homie in a myriad of ways. Etc. Write him out.

Dude wasn't worth the screen time. The first half of the movie directly suffers because they tried to focus on him to the point where it left things disjointed.

He was not in anyway INTEGRAL to the film. Nothing substantial came from his presence as it was.

Then you REALLY overlooking the mere fact that it was because of HIM, being the initial messenger for Galen Erso to send the hologram message to Saw to begin with. Or the fact that he knew the location of Galen Erso. Or the fact that they needed him, being that he WAS an Imperial pilot to get them INTO Scariff. He was MOST necessary. The only thing unnecessary in the film was the weak slug torture scene.