Rising teenage BX Drill rapper "Kay Flock" arrested for MURDER. (Update: New R.I.C.O. CASE.....its over)

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The takes blaming labels/bloggers are embarrassing at this point.

Vast majority of drill rappers aren't signed to majors and if they do get signed it's because they already had a buzz off music/video views. This isn't the old days when you couldn't have a national presence with a corporate push.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Labels pre-drill in the blog/industry plant era seemed to covet signing clean cut, early-to-mid 20 year old, average guy rappers like Drake, Kendrick, J. Cole, Big Sean, Wiz, Wale, Cudi, Rocky, etc. Late 2000's, early 2010's there was contingent always complaining about snap/swag/conscious/autotune hip-hop and how shyt wasn't catered around street shyt anymore.

It was the drill and trap eras that changed shyt labels lost control and they had to listen to the streets. Chief Keef racked up all them views with no deal with a home made video on house arrest no vixens, no cars just shirtless teens dancing toting guns.

The labels are for profit and there's a huge demand for this music everything is about analytics now labels don't have any moral imperative to not sign or put certain records out. It's a dilemma. :francis:

Great post.

Truth be told most labels don’t even want to sign these type of artists. Rappers that are in the streets are way too volatile, they’re a lot harder to insure for tours, and the odds are really high that they’ll end up getting locked up or killed before the label makes their money back. Major labels would much rather have a J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar type of artists that they can make money with for years and that doesn’t come with unnecessary headaches.

Daps
Nah. Flock wasn’t the only one. It’s just gonna shift to the next cat.

Nah, this a blow. Drill is relevant in the Bronc right now, Brooklyn already had its run. I’m not saying it’s just gonna die off. I just thought he was the last up to go mainstream.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Nah, this a blow. Drill is relevant in the Bronc right now, Brooklyn already had its run. I’m not saying it’s just gonna die off. I just thought he was the last up to go mainstream.
Nah fam. U still got B Lovee, D Thang, Sha EK, Kenzo Balla and TG Crippy. Etc etc. bro. D Thang better than everybody as far as music goes. Including Kay Flock. And he’s Kay Flock’s cousin.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Kay Flock and Dthang the only ones I see with star potential. Dthang with his type of voice should have been doing more melodic songs. Melodies is where it’s at $$$

B Lovee got his head on straight and killing it with the samples but his potential is limited imo but he’s been consistent I heard a joint he got coming sampling Trey Songz “Can’t Help But Wait” sound like a hit

I like TG Crippy and Lee Drilly as the pure rappers

Bando cool, Dougie B hasn’t dropped shyt since getting his deal

Sha EK and Blockwork should have been a duo but the dummies beefing D&D was fire

Flock was the best one for me with the most star potential his whole demeanor is too street though…Dthang got more personality

But this just Bronx drill wave 1.0 there’s probably a bunch of lil nikkas on deck it took awhile for Brooklyn to get to Pop Smoke

This year ended off super hot we were on pace to end with less murders than 2020 but now we exceeded it and might end up damn near at 500. Def feel Eric Adams not about to play with these gangs.

We’ll see right now there’s no true successor to Kay Flock or Dthang and they both going away for years. A lot of these nikkas suck.

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Labels pre-drill in the blog/industry plant era seemed to covet signing clean cut, early-to-mid 20 year old, average guy rappers like Drake, Kendrick, J. Cole, Big Sean, Wiz, Wale, Cudi, Rocky, etc. Late 2000's, early 2010's there was contingent always complaining about snap/swag/conscious/autotune hip-hop and how shyt wasn't catered around street shyt anymore.

It was the drill and trap eras that changed shyt labels lost control and they had to listen to the streets. Chief Keef racked up all them views with no deal with a home made video on house arrest no vixens, no cars just shirtless teens dancing toting guns.

The labels are for profit and there's a huge demand for this music everything is about analytics now labels don't have any moral imperative to not sign or put certain records out. It's a dilemma. :francis:
Great post.

Truth be told most labels don’t even want to sign these type of artists. Rappers that are in the streets are way too volatile, they’re a lot harder to insure for tours, and the odds are really high that they’ll end up getting locked up or killed before the label makes their money back. Major labels would much rather have a J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar type of artists that they can make money with for years and that doesn’t come with unnecessary headaches.
Both great points but at the same time . throughout history, I mean look at the 90's gangster rap era. You had protests including black preachers against violent rap, politicians used rappers names in their political speeches etc.. Labels continued to always signed gangster rap artists and the division between conscious rappers like public enemy, the coup, Paris,queen latifah type of rappers or bohemian hipster backpack rappers like mis def,Dela soul,pharcyde,souls of mischief were always around but the public record sales and the labels pump money in the demand. Sex and violence will always sell including party type raps. The Lil Wayne crowd of rappers including young thug signed to lyier Cohen label had the blend of hipster tight jeans mix with gangsta, and drug party rockstar vibe on the rap Level blurred the lines. Usually rappers would have like one or two conscious or radio songs" on the cut and the rest they do them but the blurring the lines became more acceptable.not taking talent away from these rappers by the way .

For every JCole and Kendrick, type of rappers, or Drake, not many can unfortunately dominate the mainstream scene as you know see sing song mumble mix with gangster edge NBA YoungBoy the demand for street edge drill types and mumble rap infused with drugs and street were many knocking on the door. Also hood dudes with money fuel the underground marketing promoting "their rapper" for the clubs,strip clubs,street scene to get put on independently and to the majors and most if the styles from those rappers are street,drill types.

And the underground JCole types don't usually have a street dude in my opinion pushing them .you had the manager of luoe fiasco that was indicted and played a role in helping Luoe get out there but the majority of folks looking for that "hit" to get on.

Basically independent label or not the major distributors like the distribution label young Dolph signed to will always be around to serve the demand.

Basically nothing's change except there are more rappers than back then and more easier paths to get your music out than back then so the more rappers the more probability their street hood antics and hater competition and egos will continue . Companies have life insurance of people on corporate world so I'm sure some major labels have life insurance etc on artists as well. Besides,when artist dies their music usually have a sales spike in being played and purchased and then on to the next artists .

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
Kay Flock and Dthang the only ones I see with star potential. Dthang with his type of voice should have been doing more melodic songs. Melodies is where it’s at $$$

B Lovee got his head on straight and killing it with the samples but his potential is limited imo but he’s been consistent I heard a joint he got coming sampling Trey Songz “Can’t Help But Wait” sound like a hit

I like TG Crippy and Lee Drilly as the pure rappers

Bando cool, Dougie B hasn’t dropped shyt since getting his deal

Sha EK and Blockwork should have been a duo but the dummies beefing D&D was fire

Flock was the best one for me with the most star potential his whole demeanor is too street though…Dthang got more personality

But this just Bronx drill wave 1.0 there’s probably a bunch of lil nikkas on deck it took awhile for Brooklyn to get to Pop Smoke

This year ended off super hot we were on pace to end with less murders than 2020 but now we exceeded it and might end up damn near at 500. Def feel Eric Adams not about to play with these gangs.

We’ll see right now there’s no true successor to Kay Flock or Dthang and they both going away for years. A lot of these nikkas suck.
when the lil nikkas start tapping into all them motherland caribbean central/south.american waves that's what i am interested in

it's interesting cause the youngins is street but they got so many different influences to draw off of

you know how we came up & the different types of sounds you raised off of even if it's just by osmosis

it comes out in the music

nyc has all the ingredients from the whole diaspora just bubbling

uptXwn particularly rich in that respect

lowkey i just got a feeling a nikka like smooky gonna heat back up & show the youngins how to get on that type of sound that makes money

that drill shyte is short change & it's not fly

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This will end the drill movement in NYC my prediction.

Nah, Drill is now the way of life for Gen Z NYers. It's like after BIG blew up in early 95, everyone found new inspiration to make a true NY twist to a sub-genre that started in Chicago. The days of NYers trying to sound southern and make their struggle strip club songs from 07-2014 is done for. Drill was that spark. There will be a ton more artists like Kay Flock in the coming years.