Returnal (PS5/PC) (April 30th, Housemarque) - OT

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
You mean autosave? You can't have auyosave in roguelikes, it defeats the purpose of the game.

That's the thing. A lot of people picked this up off of the strength of Sony's name in making great games. I don't doubt for people that like these games, that that isn't the case. The issues that I see are the following.

Reviewers play games for a living, they are far more time to devote to a game than the average human being. Reviewers ain't us. Gaming is their job, it ain't ours. Largely why I don't pay attention to what they say. Their sensibilities and time committed to gaming aren't typically mine.
Runs are structured too long for people that basically have other shyt to do. Asking someone to commit 3-4 hours to a run is a serious time sink that most people can't commit too. Shorter ones like in Hades or The Binding of Isaac would be perfect.
My previously said difficulty levels in other threads. Most people aren't built for this type of difficulty especially when people have OCD saving habits that they can't use here. It's not the hardest game in the world but you will be punished for basically not playing flawlessly. Not a fault of the game but it should have been conveyed a hell of a lot better than it was.

All of the above of no fault of Housemarque. Looks like they set out with a vision and more or less nailed the vision. My only argument is that that vision doesn't really mesh with the gaming populous at large. For a lot of people, their is their roguelike game and I've read enough of people complain about the trappings that the genre bring. That's on the consumer, not Sony though.

The only thing that could be pointed in their direction are the bugs and all that they bring.

That said, they are going to buckle on that save issue. The fervor is too loud to ignore.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk, I almost got Phrike for the first time. It seems easy.

Electroplyon Driver gun is my favorite so far. Easy to kill.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
fukk, I almost got Phrike for the first time. It seems easy.

Electroplyon Driver gun is my favorite so far. Easy to kill.

The trick: Get your gun proficiency up to at least 3 or 4....do not use any of those heals to actually heal yourself, clear out alll the rooms, and sleep in the Helios when you need health, and use the health to max out your integrity. But items that up your proficiency, help max your integrity, or heal you when your health gets low.

Also try to buy an astronaut every run.

I’m gonna kick phryke ass tomorrow

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
That's the thing. A lot of people picked this up off of the strength of Sony's name in making great games. I don't doubt for people that like these games, that that isn't the case. The issues that I see are the following.

Reviewers play games for a living, they are far more time to devote to a game than the average human being. Reviewers ain't us. Gaming is their job, it ain't ours. Largely why I don't pay attention to what they say. Their sensibilities and time committed to gaming aren't typically mine.
Runs are structured too long for people that basically have other shyt to do. Asking someone to commit 3-4 hours to a run is a serious time sink that most people can't commit too. Shorter ones like in Hades or The Binding of Isaac would be perfect.
My previously said difficulty levels in other threads. Most people aren't built for this type of difficulty especially when people have OCD saving habits that they can't use here. It's not the hardest game in the world but you will be punished for basically not playing flawlessly. Not a fault of the game but it should have been conveyed a hell of a lot better than it was.

All of the above of no fault of Housemarque. Looks like they set out with a vision and more or less nailed the vision. My only argument is that that vision doesn't really mesh with the gaming populous at large. For a lot of people, their is their roguelike game and I've read enough of people complain about the trappings that the genre bring. That's on the consumer, not Sony though.

The only thing that could be pointed in their direction are the bugs and all that they bring.

That said, they are going to buckle on that save issue. The fervor is too loud to ignore.

Breh, who fukking cares.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naw its actually worse here :mjlol:

Game has no autosave, u crash ur fukked fukked. At least cyberpunk u could save regularly.

that didn’t stop the game from literally being unplayable for me for a month...not an ounce of exaggeration or hyperbole...I could not drive for more than 5 minutes without the game freezing

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wasn’t going to pick it up due to the no save. but I watched a let’s play through of the first two levels…. Game is savage in the flesh. I may pick it up tomorrow.

it’s fun...can’t stop thinking about it...stopping the game where you are and leaving it in rest mode might be the most realistic solution...even tho they stated they “hear” the complaints, I honestly don’t see them compromising the game and what it’s supposed to be...I don’t see/know how that’s feasible with the game being constructed to play out this way...I’m not a dev so I’m not sure how easy/difficult it is for them to go back and implement the ability for the player to save the game whenever they want

Last edited: