Returnal (PS5/PC) (April 30th, Housemarque) - OT

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ballgame :ahh: took my time with 4, skipped 5, and took my time on 6, got the melting Hollowseeker, bought an astronaut and didn’t even need it. I’m pretty sure I got my fill for this one. Solid game

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read theories on the story. fukk that. I ain't never gonna understand it :russ:

I didn’t even go to the house last time I saw the light on :mjlol: I gave up on the story by the time I got to 6

Edit: And yea idk if it’s just the late game or the last updates but the frames dropped to borderline ass levels at times

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Watched @Khalil's_Black_Excellence gameplay video and was impressed. Gameplay looks kinda dope. Didn’t look too difficult though as he got hit a bunch of times and still had lots of health left.

Might be one of the first games I play when PS5s are back in stock:ehh:

I’ve just never liked rougelikes. Even the ones I found the gameplay fun I just never have the patience to keep playing the same content over and over again. After you beat the bosses do you have to play through the levels again??

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Watched @Khalil's_Black_Excellence gameplay video and was impressed. Gameplay looks kinda dope. Didn’t look too difficult though as he got hit a bunch of times and still had lots of health left.

I’ve just never liked rougelikes. Even the ones I found the gameplay fun I just never have the patience to keep playing the same content over and over again. After you beat the bosses do you have to play through the levels again??
You can generally find a shortcut to the next level without having to play through the entire level again.

Hopefully they iron out some of the issues by the time you pick it up

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Well, as far as me getting hit a bunch of times and still having good health, there's reasons to that. I'm not sure which video you're speaking of, but most of the time in the videos that I did get hit often, I had two things going on. 1. A means of regenerative health 2. Raised protection.

But don't get it twisted bruh, if you go in thinking you can just take any hits without proper prep, you can get merked real quick. Most of those boss runs I was heavily stacked up on extra protection and other means of keeping me alive and none of them were my first runs at them (tho the Hyperion boss I did really well first time anyways cuz of the gun I lucked up on having when fighting him). And most of those means aren't outright a given, as to acquire the better perks, it's usually rewarded through playing well (at least receiving them faster anyway) and proper decision making with it's malfunction and malignancy systems. Then there's all the RNG that ties into that too, so not every run is going to net you the exact same desired results. It's a lot about making good off of what's given to you.

I hear you about the roguelike nature not being your thing, as it's definitely a bit of an acquired taste and won't be for everyone by nature (that's never really an outright bad thing IMO). The change in level loadouts and enemy placement gives the game that extra intrigue for me to keep playing, since it's not guaranteed that each run and level are going to play out the same. I'm over 70 hours into the game (maybe 60-ish due to me often having games on stand-by) and am still getting surprised just running thru the first level, which I've played and died on dozens of times. I've owned a few rougelikes/lites, but this is literally the sole one that I've ever saw thru to the end and on top of that, still desire playing even more to try other stuff and unlock everything.

To answer your question about repeating the levels, to an extent, you do, but it's not as bad as one may think. Anytime you reach a boss, even if you die, the game upon recycling you will usually have a really quick access to him near the start of the level. Think Souls game shortcuts, to a degree, except they're never the exact same path. If you beat a boss, that'll grant you access to a new level. If you die on the new level, yes, you will have to restart from level 1, but each time you get to a new level, there will be a shortcut to get right back to that level as well. Once you've beaten level 3 you'll restart from level 4 if you die from there. There's 6 levels so levels 1 and 4 are your start points, upon death. Tho there are other earnable ways to resurrect yourself or revive in the same level or same spot of getting killed so that you don't start over.
Appreciate the impression tho.:myman:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
@MeachTheMonster, funny enough tho, unlike most Playstation games in your opinion of not focusing on gameplay as much/first, I think you'd like or at least respect this one's first and foremost heavy gameplay first focus.
That’s why I was into it watching you play. I like the arcadey/bullet hell gameplay. Looks like it’s a lot of fun to play.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
That’s why I was into it watching you play. I like the arcadey/bullet hell gameplay. Looks like it’s a lot of fun to play.

Yeah, it's fun as hell and practically everyone I've seen, read or spoke to that has played it find it massively addictive.

As far the difficulty, once you fully understand the game and know the enemies well enough, it's actually not too difficult. Just that like souls, you can get punished quick bad if you too reckless or not reading situations well/making bad decisions. The RNG on every level also adds to the risk/reward too. Also like souls tho, I can guarantee that pretty much anyone is just expected to net up a good handful of deaths before learning the ins and outs of everything. I expect any average gamer to at least get between 10-20+ deaths before beating the game. The starting over thing adds to the difficulty for some people, since it's quite the punishment.

I actually died no less than 40 times on the first 3 levels, mostly the levels, not the bosses too much. But literally only had 1 permanent death between levels 4-6 and completing the game.