Rent a center should be illegal

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
One of these places is literally called Conn's.
I don't believe Conn's to be as predatory as rent a center. I've gotten some pretty good deals there, and their prices aren't marked up like in rent a center. They have low-ish requirements for finance I don't believe the rates to be as extreme as rent a center or Fingerhut for example

BoBurnz

Superstar
Daps
Rental services by their very nature are predatory. They charge exorbitant, unnecessarily high rates for any good or service provided that you could get due cost for with a purchase that's not offset at all by the convenience factor of it. I've never understood where there isn't a TON more federal or even state level regulatory oversight on these things. But then I remember we're the country that invented the pay-day loan and it all snaps into focus. :francis:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
:francis:I see no coercion...

Surely you could have spent an extra ten seconds to develop a more measured and thoughtful response.

Predatory lending practices are exploitative and often seen as a last ditch options for people who don't qualify for better alternatives. Of course people aren't being coerced to purchase a washing machine from Rent A Center, but they are being taken advantage of.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we cant fight every fight. we got shyt that really demands our total focus/energy, like voting rights etc.

everyone knows this shyt is a scam.

people need to be smarter than this. and if you're dumb enough to actually pay 80/month for some beats by dre headphones, no amount of advocating by others is going to help you.

there is literally zero reason nowadays to pay these ridiculous prices for furniture. if you're broke buy some used furniture. you're not using it as a plate for your food.

people just want to flex for no fukking reason. this aggravates me to no end.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:francis:I see no coercion...

:yeshrug:

:russ:
Surely you could have spent an extra ten seconds to develop a more measured and thoughtful response.

Predatory lending practices are exploitative and often seen as a last ditch options for people who don't qualify for better alternatives. Of course people aren't being coerced to purchase a washing machine from Rent A Center, but they are being taken advantage of.

It's true the poor are being taken advantage of. However, I don't know that banning these lending practices is the answer. Poor people want Beats, and Xboxes apparently and might never have the cash to pay for them all at once. A bird in the and or something. Without these stores, how will the poor get access to the items they want? Will a similar more dangerous market open underground?:patrice:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
:russ:

It's true the poor are being taken advantage of. However, I don't know that banning these lending practices is the answer. Poor people want Beats, and Xboxes apparently and might never have the cash to pay for them all at once. A bird in the and or something. Without these stores, how will the poor get access to the items they want? Will a similar more dangerous market open underground?:patrice:

I'm not sure what the answer is but the existing model is trash