Religion, Race, and Rebellion

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Are you looking to talk to actual real-life Haitian historians and tell them to their face Vodou isn't an African religion?

Haitian historians have no credibility on Africa.

We could ask someone from Benin though and they’ll tell you all of the elements of Vodou that they don’t believe.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Nope, it’s an umbrella term.

Still remains, you’ve embarrassed yourself claiming Christianity wasn’t known in Haiti lol.

Gens de couleur - Wikipedia

Gens de coleur was the term in Haiti. They were mulattos.

Still remains, you’ve embarrassed yourself claiming Christianity wasn’t known in Haiti lol.

I never said that. Quote me where I said that. I refuted the point that there were Africans that practiced Christianity prior to becoming colonized or ensalved.

You're the one embarrassing yourself. All anyone has to do is look at the facts I've pointed out. You got a lot of blind stooges though.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Gens de couleur - Wikipedia

Gens de coleur was the term in Haiti. They were mulattos.

And I'm not talking about "Gens de coleur," I'm talking about free people of color - a term that denotes all free people of African descent across the diaspora.

I never said that. Quote me where I said that. I refuted the point that there were Africans that practiced Christianity prior to becoming colonized or ensalved.

Christianity was brought to the Kingdom of Kongo in 1491 when king Nzinga a Nkuwu and his nobles adopted the religion. Nzinga’s son King Afonso I created a syncretic version of the Roman Catholic Church during his rule combining preexisting local beliefs with Catholic theology. Christianity was spread throughout the region, thus by the 18th century most of the Kongolese slaves who were brought to Haiti were exposed to Christianity, if they were not Christian themselves. Voodoo was a religion practiced by many slaves in Saint Domingue. Voodoo in Haiti, much like Christianity in Africa, was a blend of African Gods paired with Christian saints. It makes sense that slaves from Kongo, would influence and participate in voodoo ceremonies, which allowed them to maintain their old Cosmology and understanding of the world along with aspects of Christianity that were already familiar. One can look to the voodoo ceremony that took place in Bois- Caiman to understand the importance of voodoo to the revolution. Boukman Dutty an African Voodoo priest led a meeting that set in motion the slave uprisings in the north. While not Kongolese himself, Boukman was referred to by the Kongolese nickname Zamba, (most likely the term Kikongo word for nzamba or elephant in reference to his large structure) and many of his followers were indeed Kongolese.

http://congoleseatlanticconnection.blogspot.com/2016/04/kongo-and-haitian-revolution.html

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
we're talking about Haiti specifically, not the diaspora.

Do you want an honest argument or not?

No, the thread isn't Haitian specific and the term I used applies for the whole diaspora including Haiti. I don't care what specific terms France used for its specific racial hierarchy.

All besides the point because you've shown to be illogical time and time again.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
No, the thread isn't Haitian specific and the term I used applies for the whole diaspora including Haiti. I don't care what specific terms France used for its specific racial hierarchy.

All besides the point because you've shown to be illogical time and time again.
:mjlol:

In the colony of Saint-Domingue, Free people of color referred to mulattos.

Those are the facts.

I knew you felt embarrassed because you thought "free people of color practiced christianity" meant something.

You can be a dumbass all you want.