Religion, Race, and Rebellion

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

As an aside, I'd like to address briefly the idea "Mullatos evil, Black good."

True, mulattos and free people of color were used as agents more so than enslaved Africans but absolutes are seldom correct:

Bussa's rebellion
Charles Deslondes and the 1811 German Coast Uprising
Cécile Fatiman
Francisco Menendez
John Horse

Are a few examples of our biracial brothers and sisters who fought the good fight.​

This is actually related to the religion argument incidentally. The arguments against Black Christianity are often started with "the White man gave you this religion" while the arguments against accepting biracials often start with "you are adopting a one-drop rule the White man created". Both arguments display the lack of nuance and the perception that Blacks retooled both religion and the racial caste system to build strong and at times rebellious communities. Both deny agency and evolution to the Black community that any other culture takes for granted.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
People here know that St. James is like the patron saint of many Central African and Caribbean (typically Kongo/Angola) descended Catholics right? St. James was adopted by the King of Kongo Affonso after his conversion and victory in a civil war. He, as well Queen Nzinga, fought against the Portuguese as Catholics though I wouldn't say religion was their only motivating factor.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I never said christanity can't be used for pro-blackness .Obviously it can. You can put a black spin on anything.

Just don't pretend it's an African religion indigeneous to people of west African or south African descent.

You don't descend from Ethiopians.

Islam is more of a "natrual" religion for black people tnan Christianity.

I digress. TAR will always be the true African's religion system.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Islam is more of a "natrual" religion for black people tnan Christianity.

SQBJFl7.gif

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Also all Haitians believe vodou and specifically the ceremony at Boi Caiman is the reason not only for the revolution beginning, but also succeeding.

Thats cool and all but its the type of magical thinking thats got us nowhere :yeshrug:

If it was Vodun and not the numbers advantage + geography that allowed the revolution to succeed, then use it to make Haiti a nation of abundance :ehh:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Bois Caiman was organized by a Muslim.
Vodun is a syncretic religion and not the same as what is practiced in say Benin.
Besides the point because religion is a red herring.

The people that particiapted in the ceremony were syncretic, yes. It was African people from different ethnicites and all backgrounds converging for a singular religious experience.

The ceremony itself was not syncretic. There is no mention of any Abrahamic gods in the ceremony prayers, except when Boukman basically says "fukk the cac gods"

Dutty Boukman didn't throw in vereses in from Quran.

If syncretic means creolzing or combining multiple religions, then the Boi Caiman ceremony that kicked off the revolution was NOT syncretic.

I would love to see you prove me wrong about my own people's history.

And yes, Haitian Vodou today is syncretic. But not back when Africans straight off the boat didn't know shyt about Roman Catholicism and Christianity...

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
And yes, Haitian Vodou today is syncretic. But not back when Africans straight off the boat didn't know shyt about Roman Catholicism and Christianity...

Not only is this wrong but it shows you don’t know the specific details of the environment leading up to the revolution nor what actually transpired.

FYI most Islamic African countries allowed for the practice of indigenous religions.