Rebel Ridge | Discussion Thread | Netflix (9/6)

QBN

All Star
Daps
Exactly, but other folks can have movies of Nazis getting clapped up in brutal fashion, but the black man can't kill racist corrupt cops or racist politicians or Klansmen.

Always gotta be the noble negro even in fantasy/fictional films and stories.

I'm tired of it.
I was surprised that LL Cool J's first song on his new album was done from the perspective of Christopher Dorner who went on an LAPD cop-killing spree back in 2013.

I know music is different, but LL made a lot of bread in Hollywood so it was surprising to hear someone of his fame make that kind of track :salute:

You are 100% right tho, that's the only narrative Hollywood will approve....the peaceful Black man who takes abuse but never kills....and even better if he forgives his enemy!:childplease:

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
First half was dope, but it lost its way in the second half.

Way too much going on and it became convoluted. Also focusing so much on the perils of the white woman diluted the film's focus on police brutality on the black community. The film tried to do too much. It felt like that was some Netflix executive note "we can't just have a film about how the cops fukk with black people....what about the white women:damn:"

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Preview bamboozled me. AP was good but they needed to really let him get loose. Bodies needed to drop. The only person who got killed was an innocent black youth. Cops became allies. Movie was way too long to deliver so little on the vengeance and violence tip. Deescalation as the black man’s superpower is some conniving bullshyt. Super disappointed.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I was surprised that LL Cool J's first song on his new album was done from the perspective of Christopher Dorner who went on an LAPD cop-killing spree back in 2013.

I know music is different, but LL made a lot of bread in Hollywood so it was surprising to hear someone of his fame make that kind of track :salute:

You are 100% right tho, that's the only narrative Hollywood will approve....the peaceful Black man who takes abuse but never kills....and even better if he forgives his enemy!:childplease:

shyt is proof the Story of Jesus is about a Black Man.

A Magical nikka who gets killed by the cops and dies for everyone to learn, but moment the body cold the world moves on not giving a fukk and the cycle repeats
:mjlol:

Black man has the ability to exterminate his opps and truly bring peace and justice to the world but instead prays for the devil.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
First half was dope, but it lost its way in the second half.

Way too much going on and it became convoluted. Also focusing so much on the perils of the white woman diluted the film's focus on police brutality on the black community. The film tried to do too much. It felt like that was some Netflix executive note "we can't just have a film about how the cops fukk with black people....what about the white women:damn:"

yeah once these nikkas turned into the ebony and ivory detective agency and started snooping around the movie fukking lost me. nikkas went from bail money to conspiracies to fraud and all types of shyt, when the movie just started off with a simple ass concept of cops being a$$holes.

it definitely tried to do too much, when all it needed was action.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The tolerance of it varies from person to person but i think we all have the same ball park criticism in that we thought we were getting an Equalizer but instead the movie tried to tip-toe the line between "grounded" realism and sensationalism.

i.e. the opening scene was grounded as fukk. But continuing with that same realism limits what the MC can do without turning it into a GTA5 with 6 stars reenactment.

I'd have just embraced the fukkery, have some Idris Elba from Extraction 2 mfer appear out of nowhere to offer the MC a classified "job" for his cousin's freedom, with carte blanche on how he deals with the pigs :mjlol:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Exactly, but other folks can have movies of Nazis getting clapped up in brutal fashion, but the black man can't kill racist corrupt cops or racist politicians or Klansmen.

Always gotta be the noble negro even in fantasy/fictional films and stories.

I'm tired of it.
This might be why Boyega dropped out of the film. They did him dirty in Star Wars lol