Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
onyx in '93-94 was hotter than outkast's whole existence.

I forgot cypress hill.

as for fugees, WSC, dogg pound; how you gonna delete the 1-album group disclaimers, then clown me like I aint type it? man that's just ruthless.:hhh:

You're giving Onyx a one year period. They dropped more than one album. Kast had two albums that were hot in the period that you listed. Both went platinum, both had #1 hits on the rap charts, both had gold singles. Onyx had one platinum album and one platinum single.

And again, you're throwing names out there for the sake of throwing names out there. Until this thread, how many often does Cypress Hill really come up in a discussion of Top groups/duos. And even still, they were about even with Kast: Two platinum albums a piece, one double platinum album. They have one more #1 rap single than Kast. Kast has two gold singles vs. their one.

It wasn't being ruthless. You disqualified the groups yourself, which defeated the purpose of even listing them. It goes to show the lengths you will go to discredit Kast even if it means you destroying your own argument to do it.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You know what I find funny about this thread? @Wacky D telling y'all shyt that is blatantly obvious if you listen to enough hip hop. Hip hop, for all its complexities, is pretty straight forward if you think about shyt critically. That's the beauty of it.

We know who is pop/hybrid hip hop and actual hip hop. We know that casuals/non hip hop fans are the ones that are really into Outkast, Fugees, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, J Cole, etc because the hybrid shyt is easy for them to digest. It's not as aggressive and intricate as actual hip hop. Yes there are casuals and pretenders that listen to Mobb Deep, Nas, EPMD, etc but they're nowhere in number to the amount of casuals that flood the hybrid lane. Hybrid shyt is by far the most accessible and the sales charts show this repeatedly.

Organized Noize are on record saying that their whole vibe was rap mixed with RnB/live instruments. They're also on record saying that they hid their intentions so they wouldn't doom Outkast from the start. But the reality is that true hip hop listeners can tell. You know by the hardness of the groove and the overall song structure what a 100% hip hop record is versus some hybrid shyt.

But y'all will play dumb and hurl insults instead of discussing hip hop, a genre you claim to love :laff:

REAL RAP

whether you love or hate the guy, @SirBiatch is one of the realest postes on here.

the bolded especially is pure ETHER.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I done seen it all now... Outkast's first album... an Arrested Development/PM Dawn inspired money grab...

Wacky... you don't believe that yo' gotdamn self. I see what you doin' tho'- play on, playa :pachaha:

meanwhile, on the other side of the tracks, heres @DANJ! with his typical DANJ posting style of twisting your words & spinning the narrative on the slick.

I never said they were a money-grab. they knew what they were doing tho.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The whole notion that Kast benefited from the La Face machine is ignorant. First, you have to understand what the La Face machine is before you could even make such a claim. Babyface and L.A. Reid were a writing and production duo before they started that label. They wrote and produced for R&B and Pop artists. When they started La Face, their fingerprints were all over the albums. They essentially wrote and produced slow jams and ballads. Their writing nor their production never touched Kast albums. They were however, largely hands on with Toni Braxton and TLC. Monica and Usher even had songs written and produced by them. Kast never did. Sonically, Kast's sound was the antithesis of the "La Face sound". What Organized Noize was doing with OutKast and Dungeon Family in general was new territory for them.

La Face dominated the R&B charts with most of their acts. Kast never had much success on that chart until "Ms. Jackson" (peaked at #1) dropped. Before "Ms. Jackson", only "Elevators" and "Player's Ball" made a significant impact, peaking at #5 and #12 respectively. On the Rap charts, "Elevators" and "Player's Ball" peaked at #1. "Southernplayalistic" and "ATLiens" peaked at #9 and #8 respectively. "Jazzy Belle" peaked at #7.

lol @ this dude thinking that hes schooling me on la reid & babyface.

youre not telling me anything that I didn't already know 25 years ago. I'm talking about the machine.

and their placement on r&b charts is neither here nor there.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You're giving Onyx a one year period. They dropped more than one album. Kast had two albums that were hot in the period that you listed. Both went platinum, both had #1 hits on the rap charts, both had gold singles. Onyx had one platinum album and one platinum single.

And again, you're throwing names out there for the sake of throwing names out there. Until this thread, how many often does Cypress Hill really come up in a discussion of Top groups/duos. And even still, they were about even with Kast: Two platinum albums a piece, one double platinum album. They have one more #1 rap single than Kast. Kast has two gold singles vs. their one.

It wasn't being ruthless. You disqualified the groups yourself, which defeated the purpose of even listing them. It goes to show the lengths you will go to discredit Kast even if it means you destroying your own argument to do it.

all youre doing is counting sales.:snoop:

its much bigger than just that.

onyx had more than a one year period. but they weren't a sales group. they had a HUGE crossover smash with Slam, and didn't even try to duplicate that song. and instead, came back with a str8 dark underground styled album. yet youre in here tryna talk sales. this is where you always fail in every thread.

youre right, cypress hill doesn't come up in top group discussions. but theyre in the same class that outkast is realistically in.:heh:

onyx & cypress 1st 2 album runs >>> outkast 1st 2
and lets keep it 100 about outkast, the 1st 2 albums are their peak.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
all youre doing is counting sales.:snoop:

its much bigger than just that.

onyx had more than a one year period. but they weren't a sales group. they had a HUGE crossover smash with Slam, and didn't even try to duplicate that song. and instead, came back with a str8 dark underground styled album. yet youre in here tryna talk sales. this is where you always fail in every thread.

youre right, cypress hill doesn't come up in top group discussions. but theyre in the same class that outkast is realistically in.:heh:

There's more to it than counting sales. Gold and platinum is about units shipped which measures demand. On top of that, Kast's first THREE albums were all acclaimed. You ain't gotta agree with it. It is what is.

You specifically singled out one year for Onyx and no that period is not bigger than any single period in Kast's career. They had two huge singles from the debut and sophomore albums, with them having a bigger year with the sophomore than they did the debut.

Why are you even bringing up Cypress Hill if you know the group doesn't enter those the discussions. And here lies the problem: you know OutKast is highly esteemed amongst Hip Hop heads. That's why you go above and beyond to discredit them. If this was just some Internet thing, you wouldn't even bother.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol @ this dude thinking that hes schooling me on la reid & babyface.

youre not telling me anything that I didn't already know 25 years ago. I'm talking about the machine.

and their placement on r&b charts is neither here nor there.

Breh, you clearly don't know what a "machine" is. Face and L.A. were the machine when it came to the label.

You didn't know. Point blank.

d o L o b

Pro
Daps

It went Southernplayalistic, ATLiens, then Aquemini (their peak).

U might've under estimated Outkast run breh.

Last edited:

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
onyx in '93-94 was hotter than outkast's whole existence.
The album was supported with the hit singles "Hey Ya!" and "The Way You Move", which both reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, and the top five hit "Roses". Speakerboxxx/The Love Below has been certified diamond and 11 times platinum by the RIAA (each disc in the double album counted as a separate unit for certification). As of March 2012, it has shipped 5.7 million units in the United States.
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below - Wikipedia

Checkmate

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
There's more to it than counting sales. Gold and platinum is about units shipped which measures demand. On top of that, Kast's first THREE albums were all acclaimed. You ain't gotta agree with it. It is what is.

You specifically singled out one year for Onyx and no that period is not bigger than any single period in Kast's career. They had two huge singles from the debut and sophomore albums, with them having a bigger year with the sophomore than they did the debut.

Why are you even bringing up Cypress Hill if you know the group doesn't enter those the discussions. And here lies the problem: you know OutKast is highly esteemed amongst Hip Hop heads. That's why you go above and beyond to discredit them. If this was just some Internet thing, you wouldn't even bother.

and youre still counting sales. you just don't get IT. this is the same problem everybody has with you in every thread, regardless of the topic.

I singled out one year for onyx just to prove a point, and end it right there.
and lol @ the bolded.

I just answered your question about cypress hill in the post that youre responding too. SMH. LEARN HOW TO READ.

nah. outkast is highly-esteemed on the internet & by the media. I hardly ever see outkast mentioned in this light offline, unless its some young buls who weren't around, that don't even listen to outkast but repeat what they hear on these new documentaries. other than that, outkast isn't mentioned in that light breh. they don't even cross my mind IRL. even when I lived in the south, the only time I talked about them was on the net.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Breh, you clearly don't know what a "machine" is. Face and L.A. were the machine when it came to the label.

You didn't know. Point blank.

you ever heard of clive davis? you didn't mention his name once.

arista was the biggest machine in black music POINT BLANK.

you lil dudes have no clue.:mjlol:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The album was supported with the hit singles "Hey Ya!" and "The Way You Move", which both reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, and the top five hit "Roses". Speakerboxxx/The Love Below has been certified diamond and 11 times platinum by the RIAA (each disc in the double album counted as a separate unit for certification). As of March 2012, it has shipped 5.7 million units in the United States.
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below - Wikipedia

Checkmate

nikkas didn't give a f*ck about that album.

this is how I can tell whos who on here.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
It went Southernplayalistic, ATLiens, then Aquemini (their peak).

U might've under estimated Outkast run breh.

aquemini was just aiird.

that's when they started getting too corny. at least the 1st 2 albums were tolerable/enjoyable types of corny.

only thing they had at the time that was really poppin was "watch for the hook" which was mainly popular for the beat, and it wasn't even their song.