Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
still their sound wasn't too similar. Mannie and BBTP did use some of the samples/bounce shyt known in the NO (Triggerman/Drag Rap sample), but had totally distinct styles otherwise.

No Limit had more soulful slower stuff, CMR was all about hard threatening themes (BG albums), party tunes (Juve albums), youthful mercilessness (Guerilla Warfare, Wayne albums) and extreme materialism (Big Tymers)

There was also bad blood between former Big Boy artist Mystikal (and Fiend, but he wasn't really beefing with anyone ever) and Cash Money because of the whole UNLV drama

Only guys who worked for both camps during their heydays (96-01) were O'Dell (did some technical work and co-producing for CMR for a short period of time in 96) and Mac (was featured on BG's Chopper City album, worked closely with pre-CMR Mannie Fresh on his Lyrical Midget debut album early on). Many NL soldiers were part of KLC's Parkway Pumpin' label, but no one from Hot Boys or Big Tymers (or Lac, Stone, Lil Derrick) ever worked for a NL artist/producer at that point

That's why this cut was pretty groundbreaking in late 2001

There were a lot of similarities between CMR and NL. When CMR was on the come up, the whole "soulja" theme was prevalent in their music. Even when they made it big. They both used similar slang. The difference between No Limit and CMR is that No Limit had some R&B slow jams and had songs that were more introspective. Even though there was bad blood between some of the No Limit artists and CMR artists, you still had Mia X, Soulja Slim and couple of others who were cool with CMR.

Outside of their sound, the covers that Pen & Pixel designed for both camps were similar especially by 1998. In 1998, No Limit's covers were bling, bling vs. the simpler, more creative covers from '96 and '97.

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
There were a lot of similarities between CMR and NL. When CMR was on the come up, the whole "soulja" theme was prevalent in their music. Even when they made it big. They both used similar slang. The difference between No Limit and CMR is that No Limit had some R&B slow jams and had songs that were more introspective. Even though there was bad blood between some of the No Limit artists and CMR artists, you still had Mia X, Soulja Slim and couple of others who were cool with CMR.

Outside of their sound, the covers that Pen & Pixel designed for both camps were similar especially by 1998. In 1998, No Limit's covers were bling, bling vs. the simpler, more creative covers from '96 and '97.

No limit was garbage.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

no dog

no limit & cash money had their similarities but they were 2 completely different entities in terms of general style, approach & presentation.

I rarely even listen to both labels in the same session unless I'm playing them back-2-back for comparative reasons. but if I'm tryna keep a vibe, I usually don't play them together unless soulja slim or somebody is the median.

speaking of which, soulja slim was cool with certain members of CMR, but he went to the grave dissin birdman.

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
no dog

no limit & cash money had their similarities but they were 2 completely different entities in terms of general style, approach & presentation.

I rarely even listen to both labels in the same session unless I'm playing them back-2-back for comparative reasons. but if I'm tryna keep a vibe, I usually don't play them together unless soulja slim or somebody is the median.

speaking of which, soulja slim was cool with certain members of CMR, but he went to the grave dissin birdman.

Cmr is better than no limit in my opinion. I actually think BG is really dope.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no dog

The style, approach, and presentation was essentially the same. What separated them was the production, along with a few of the aforementioned variables. People that were No Limit fans all of a sudden became CMR fans.

The crazy part about Soulja Slim is that he was dissin P too on his last album. He even took shots at Krazy, who sounded like Pac.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I fukk with outkast, but andre 3000 is pretty overrated imo.

I wasn't into that love below shyt. My favorite kast album is aquemini followed by southernplaya.
I think I like them in the order they were released. And Dre was a beast. The first three are definitely classics but not GOAT contenders.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The style, approach, and presentation was essentially the same. What separated them was the production, along with a few of the aforementioned variables. People that were No Limit fans all of a sudden became CMR fans.

The crazy part about Soulja Slim is that he was dissin P too on his last album. He even took shots at Krazy, who sounded like Pac.

no it wasn't the same

dude broke it down for you on the last page. its a lot more than just differing production.

yea according to krazy, him & slim fell out because slim wanted krazy to leave no limit with him.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I think I like them in the order they were released. And Dre was a beast. The first three are definitely classics but not GOAT contenders.

what changed your mind?

I remember before you were saying that u weren't sure if any of their albums were classics.

@Magnum P.I.M.P. is good with me. Definitely disagree with him on this though. ATLiens was probably the 5th best album of 96. It's not seeing Paid in Full.

atliens is in my top 20 for '96.

maybe top 25 but i'll be generous.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
what changed your mind?

I remember before you were saying that u weren't sure if any of their albums were classics.

atliens is in my top 20 for '96.

maybe top 25 but i'll be generous.
I think I might have said I can see both arguments. Some people use the term classic in the way I use GOAT contender. But I don't fully remember.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I think I might have said I can see both arguments. Some people use the term classic in the way I use GOAT contender. But I don't fully remember.

so basically, they don't have any real undisputed classics.

theyre a big-budget group with just cult classics at best.