Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

Daps
I see the screenshot, I'm just waiting for you to break down how the certifications work for double discs so you can take your L.

Simple. Its a double disc. Each disc gets counted. No L taken

By your logic Speakerboxxx/TheLoveBelow is not Diamond then because its a double disc.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Lie #2: Mystikal was more popular than Snoop Dogg in the 90's :laff:the RIAA debunked that argument for you

Lie #3: Nobody was selling like No Limit in The South in the 90's. OutKast was multi-platinum in the 90's and as your boy @Wacky D pointed out, Arrested Development was selling in the 90's too.

#2. i didnt say the '90s. i said LATE '90s. lol @ you looking to RIAA to tell you who was more popular. this is your problem in every thread. and RIAA doesnt help your case anyway, cuz they sold the same amount in '97-00, and mystikal had the bigger singles, so he probably sold more overall, usually with much less promotion at that.

#3. i brought up arrested development to show you how chitty & contradictory your arguments are, and you dont even realize it.:laugh: you didnt mention arrested development AT ALL in this thread until i brought them up. by your logic, Speech should be the king of the south.

Didn't you ask for labels/groups who were poppin' at the time? Didn't you say P opened the floodgates for The South? Are not all the artists/labels I listed from The South?

i was talking about labels/groups that started poppin nationally off the back of no limit.

the ones you listed that were actually relevant nationally, fit the description.

I'm going to address these so called "lies" that I've been telling before I expose the lies @Wacky D and @Keysopendoors have told.

1) Eightball & MJG were not regional. This is a group that consistently went gold (solos and group efforts) and over from 1995-1999. To say Eightball & MJG were regional is to say that Mobb Deep prior to Murda Muzik was regional.

2) No Limit did not make The South a viable market. Nobody else was selling records in The South who weren't selling records before. The only other Southern acts that started moving units during No Limit's run were No Limit artists. Again, you would not see an influx of Southern artists selling records until the early '00s. That is when the levies broke and you had Southern acts popping up from everywhere moving units. You had a new wave of Atlanta artists. You had the Houston movement. You had David Banner out of Mississippi moving units. Three Six Mafia became bigger. Snap, Trap, and Crunk dominated.

3) UGK pioneered the content that you would find on most No Limit albums. They were a staple on the biggest albums from the label. Again, Ridin' Dirty was a success without the videos or airplay.

1. 8ball & mjg were REGIONAL. they were able to go gold, largely thru the south pipeline because people in that pipeline bought retail. same thing for UGK. those groups never popped across the board. you cant compare them to mobb deep because east coast doesnt support retail well enough for artists to go gold off the east coast alone. murda muzik had a huge national hit. and they were touring all the way out on the west coast years before that.

2.) LOL @ this guy.

3.) so what UGK content did master p suddenly start rapping about when he moved no limit down south, outside of maybe some chit like bourbons & lacs?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
#2. i didnt say the '90s. i said LATE '90s. lol @ you looking to RIAA to tell you who was more popular. this is your problem in every thread. and RIAA doesnt help your case anyway, cuz they sold the same amount in '97-00, and mystikal had the bigger singles, so he probably sold more overall, usually with much less promotion at that.
#3. i brought up arrested development to show you how chitty & contradictory your arguments are, and you dont even realize it.:laugh: you didnt mention arrested development AT ALL in this

thread until i brought them up. by your logic, Speech should be the king of the south.

i was talking about labels/groups that started poppin nationally off the back of no limit.

the ones you listed that were actually relevant nationally, fit the description.

1. 8ball & mjg were REGIONAL. they were able to go gold, largely thru the south pipeline because people in that pipeline bought retail. same thing for UGK. those groups never popped across the board. you cant compare them to mobb deep because east coast doesnt support retail well enough for artists to go gold off the east coast alone. murda muzik had a huge national hit. and they were touring all the way out on the west coast years before that.

2.) LOL @ this guy.

3.) so what UGK content did master p suddenly start rapping about when he moved no limit down south, outside of maybe some chit like bourbons & lacs?

1) Who brought the RIAA into this to prove popularity? It certainly wasn't me. I wasn't even the one who brought sales into it, but yet, here you are dapping up a post filled with RIAA stats. Keep contradicting yourself.

2) Mystikal didn't have bigger singles. "B Please" and "Down 4 My nikkas" >>>>. No Limit went back and put "Down 4 My nikkas" on Trapped In Crime because it took on a life of it's own.

3) Nope. I sure didn't bring up Arrested Development. I'm also not the one who said nobody was selling like No Limit in The South or co-signed the post. Now who's contradicting who?

4) Name the labels/groups that started poppin' nationally off the back of No Limit.

5) Don't give me that bologna about the East Coast not supporting retail well enough for artists to go gold. Mobb Deep had a huge single in "Shook Ones" years before "Quiet Storm". You aren't about to use a cop-out to justify one gold selling group being regional and the other isn't regional because of limited retail support.

6) The style of production changed. Go find that Mo B. dikk interview where he talks about how he produced with Pimp C in a group.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Simple. Its a double disc. Each disc gets counted. No L taken

By your logic Speakerboxxx/TheLoveBelow is not Diamond then because its a double disc.

By your logic, Stankonia outsold Da Last Don and did not sell no 4 million copies in one month like you claimed. It sold 2 million copies (the same amount Aquemini sold) and not in no one month.

Speakerboxxx/Love Below sold 5.5 million copies.

Daps
By your logic, Stankonia outsold Da Last Don and did not sell no 4 million copies in one month like you claimed. It sold 2 million copies (the same amount Aquemini sold) and not in no one month.

Speakerboxxx/Love Below sold 5.5 million copies.

:russ: Nikka you coming at me like I do the cerifications. I showed you the screenshot. Nikka you hardheaded. I guess you gon do yo own calculations.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ: Nikka you coming at me like I do the cerifications. I showed you the screenshot. Nikka you hardheaded. I guess you gon do yo own calculations.

No I'm coming at you for actually saying Da Last Don sold 4 million in one month. If you knew what RIAA was, you wouldn't have made such a claim.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
1. You said you didn't think anyone ever dethroned No Limit sales wise. It happened and OutKast was one of the artists that did it.
2. Act like Ghetto D or any album that's multi-platinum is multi-platinum solely based on the genre it was released in.

How many people are you? Speak for yourself bruh. All this posturing you're doing to represent the entire culture only makes you look schizo by using "we" to refer to YOU.

Again, Mystikal and Silkk were not as popular as a Snoop Dogg in the late 90's. That's by far the most ludicrous claim you've made in this thread. And that's actually saying a lot.

A Master P record having way more to offer than a UGK or 8Ball & MJG record is laughable. As a fan of Master P and No Limit in general, I'm not naive enough to dismiss the fact that most of the songs on those albums were re-treads. Some of them were even re-treads of previous No Limit songs. That's one of the things that ultimately ruined No Limit.

Don't even bring Arrested Development up when you just dapped a post that said "Nobody in the South was selling like that before No Limit". Now if you want to bring that one Arrested Development album into the equation, just know that completely nullifies the point you attempted to make about Stankonia's sales being Pop/R&B because if you're going with that logic (which is faulty), it's contradictory. Also no album from No Limit at any point in time sold more than the Arrested Development album in question and you also need to point this out to the poster you dapped.

Nobody cared about Aquemini? Just say you didn't care about it and keep it moving. You don't have anything to back up such a ridiculous claim other than your own opinion.

I stick to sales out of convenience? I'm not even the one who brought it up. Now you on the other hand, the culture guy that disregards and downplays sales, is in here dapping up a post that brought up sales and then made it a point that nobody dethroned No Limit sales wise.

1. it does matter what genre or sub-genre base the sales come from. by your logic, will.i.am was a west coast king.
and that's why I brought arrested development into the equation because they sold more than outkast and everybody else to come out of the south before master p, and yet, nobody is crowning them. not even you. and I'm sure you know why. also, keep in mind that outkast basically inherited arrested development's fanbase.

i see you tried to brush off that UGK, 8ball & MJG comment that you couldn't back up/

yes. nobody cared about aquemini; meaning it wasn't a factor. that's what the term "nobody cared about" means.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. it does matter what genre or sub-genre base the sales come from. by your logic, will.i.am was a west coast king.
and that's why I brought arrested development into the equation because they sold more than outkast and everybody else to come out of the south before master p, and yet, nobody is crowning them. not even you. and I'm sure you know why. also, keep in mind that outkast basically inherited arrested development's fanbase.

i see you tried to brush off that UGK, 8ball & MJG comment that you couldn't back up/

yes. nobody cared about aquemini; meaning it wasn't a factor. that's what the term "nobody cared about" means.

Will.I.Am is a totally different beast. While he does Hip Hop, a lot of what he was doing fell more into the lane of Flo-Rida. You couldn't write Stankonia off as such because it still had singles like "So Fresh And So Clean" and album cuts like "Spaghetti Junction", "Snappin' & Trappin", "Gangsta Sh**", "We Love These Hoes", "Gasoline Dreams", and "Red Velvet". It wasn't something you could write off as a predominantly R&B/Pop album.

Arrested Development didn't only outsell OutKast. They outsold everybody in the South. There's only three exceptions: 400 Degreez (which did the same numbers), Stankonia (which did the same numbers), and Speakerboxxx/Love Below (which sold 1.5 million more copies).

OutKast did not inherit Arrested Development's fanbase. The Fugees, however, did. OutKast's music couldn't be any further from Arrested Development.

Which UGK, 8Ball & MJG comment are you referring to?

Aquemini wasn't a factor? :camby:. You purport yourself to be a real head and make such a ludicrous claim like that. That album is a Hip Hop classic more so than anything than what the Tank was putting out in the same time period. Again, just say the album didn't matter to you and keep it moving.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Will.I.Am is a totally different beast. While he does Hip Hop, a lot of what he was doing fell more into the lane of Flo-Rida. You couldn't write Stankonia off as such because it still had singles like "So Fresh And So Clean" and album cuts like "Spaghetti Junction", "Snappin' & Trappin", "Gangsta Sh**", "We Love These Hoes", "Gasoline Dreams", and "Red Velvet". It wasn't something you could write off as a predominantly R&B/Pop album.

Arrested Development didn't only outsell OutKast. They outsold everybody in the South. There's only three exceptions: 400 Degreez (which did the same numbers), Stankonia (which did the same numbers), and Speakerboxxx/Love Below (which sold 1.5 million more copies).

OutKast did not inherit Arrested Development's fanbase. The Fugees, however, did. OutKast's music couldn't be any further from Arrested Development.

Which UGK, 8Ball & MJG comment are you referring to?

Aquemini wasn't a factor? :camby:. You purport yourself to be a real head and make such a ludicrous claim like that. That album is a Hip Hop classic more so than anything than what the Tank was putting out in the same time period. Again, just say the album didn't matter to you and keep it moving.

I'm not saying they were completely in the black eyed peas/flo-rida lane by stankonia time. they had their best singles run with ms Jackson/so fresh. but it wasn't the niccas that went out and copped that album.

AGAIN I ASK. why aren't you trying to champion arrested development as the pioneers instead of outkast? if you think outkast did more for the south than NL & CMR, then surely speech is your king.:sas1:

yes the f*ck outkast did inherit arrested development's fanbase. as did the fugees and a big slew of other artists that are popular on here. which is why I find it funny how arrested development gets chitted on, on this site, considering the type of rappers that tend to get hyped up on here. and no, I'm not saying that's where outkast & fugees' entire fanbase came from, but majority of their sales are clearly fueled from that crowd. another reason why they don't get acknowledged for making the south bubble.

no aquemini was not a factor. niccas was not checkin for that chit like that. sorry to break it to you breh. only joint they had out in '98-99 that we really got up for was "watch for the hook" and that was cool breeze song.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not saying they were completely in the black eyed peas/flo-rida lane by stankonia time. they had their best singles run with ms Jackson/so fresh. but it wasn't the niccas that went out and copped that album.

AGAIN I ASK. why aren't you trying to champion arrested development as the pioneers instead of outkast? if you think outkast did more for the south than NL & CMR, then surely speech is your king.:sas1:

yes the f*ck outkast did inherit arrested development's fanbase. as did the fugees and a big slew of other artists that are popular on here. which is why I find it funny how arrested development gets chitted on, on this site, considering the type of rappers that tend to get hyped up on here. and no, I'm not saying that's where outkast & fugees' entire fanbase came from, but majority of their sales are clearly fueled from that crowd. another reason why they don't get acknowledged for making the south bubble.

no aquemini was not a factor. niccas was not checkin for that chit like that. sorry to break it to you breh. only joint they had out in '98-99 that we really got up for was "watch for the hook" and that was cool breeze song.

Unless you are coming with statistics with the demographics of who went out and copped Stankonia, miss me with the speculations and generalizations you are spewing. The same logic you are using can be applied to most any album that went multi.

I'm not championing Arrested Development because they only had the one album and most importantly, they weren't exactly repping The South like Kast was on their debut. You wouldn't even know Arrested Development was from Atlanta by listening to the music and if not for "Tennessee", they didn't really have much reference to The South.

Kast didn't inherit Arrested Development's fanbase. Between the two, it's totally different subject matter, production, style, and image. Outside of being from Atlanta, there's little that Kast had in common with them. The fact that you're even adamant about making such a connection shows just how little you know. Arrested Development doesn't get disrespect on this site.

The majority of Kast's and The Fugees sales came from Arrested Development? Again, you're making speculations and generalizing.

Again, who is "we"? Aquemini was a factor and the fact. "Watch For The Hook" is one of my favorite songs and I remember when DF premiered the song with Chris Lova Lova and Poon on Future Flavas on Hot 97.5 ATL back in '98, but that song was not as heavy as even "Spottieottiedopalicious". Again, step outside of your own bubble because you clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Unless you are coming with statistics with the demographics of who went out and copped Stankonia, miss me with the speculations and generalizations you are spewing. The same logic you are using can be applied to most any album that went multi.

I'm not championing Arrested Development because they only had the one album and most importantly, they weren't exactly repping The South like Kast was on their debut. You wouldn't even know Arrested Development was from Atlanta by listening to the music and if not for "Tennessee", they didn't really have much reference to The South.

Kast didn't inherit Arrested Development's fanbase. Between the two, it's totally different subject matter, production, style, and image. Outside of being from Atlanta, there's little that Kast had in common with them. The fact that you're even adamant about making such a connection shows just how little you know. Arrested Development doesn't get disrespect on this site.

The majority of Kast's and The Fugees sales came from Arrested Development? Again, you're making speculations and generalizing.

Again, who is "we"? Aquemini was a factor and the fact. "Watch For The Hook" is one of my favorite songs and I remember when DF premiered the song with Chris Lova Lova and Poon on Future Flavas on Hot 97.5 ATL back in '98, but that song was not as heavy as even "Spottieottiedopalicious". Again, step outside of your own bubble because you clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.

if you have to ask "who is we?" then you clearly aren't one of us.
lol @ telling someone to step outside of a bubble when youre up here basing your argument on outkasts' HOMETOWN radio play.:mjlol: especially when arguing about their effect on a national scale.

its painfully obvious who the main people pumpin them up are. people who need stats to see the obvious are people that don't go nowhere.

does it matter how many albums arrested development has? this is the opposite of what you were trying to base your outkast argument on.

a blind man could tell that arrested development was from the south.:comeon:

just cuz outkast verbally repped the south more, it doesn't mean that they made strides for the region.

the bolded shows how little you know about the topic that youre trying to argue. and how sheltered you are. its not about subject matter or any of that chit breh. I'm talking about demographics like neo-soul(before neo-soul had a tag name), and the general r&b crowd, the general black office crowd, etc that's not really into rap. the type of people that subscribe to the vibe and never read the source. the same types that were also big on acts like the fugees & common - even tho his chit don't sell like that. none of these artists file under the same style/image/whatever. its not about that. if youre not up on what I'm talking about(and you clearly aren't), then you shouldn't be arguing.

that's the majority of outkast's black fanbase. them and rap purists. neither of those groups f*ck with southern hip-hop. hence the reason why outkast are moreso in the same boat as arrested development when it comes to not making strides for the south, despite big record sales.

and when I say fanbase, I'm talking fans. I'm not talking about people that say "theyre dope" or like a song here-n-there, or sing-a-long to some of their joints that they know because of radio. I'm talking about fans.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I bet you probably think j.cole put north Carolina on the map, and Kendrick lamar brought the west back.:mjlol:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if you have to ask "who is we?" then you clearly aren't one of us.
lol @ telling someone to step outside of a bubble when youre up here basing your argument on outkasts' HOMETOWN radio play.:mjlol: especially when arguing about their effect on a national scale.

its painfully obvious who the main people pumpin them up are. people who need stats to see the obvious are people that don't go nowhere.

does it matter how many albums arrested development has? this is the opposite of what you were trying to base your outkast argument on.

a blind man could tell that arrested development was from the south.:comeon:

just cuz outkast verbally repped the south more, it doesn't mean that they made strides for the region.

the bolded shows how little you know about the topic that youre trying to argue. and how sheltered you are. its not about subject matter or any of that chit breh. I'm talking about demographics like neo-soul(before neo-soul had a tag name), and the general r&b crowd, the general black office crowd, etc that's not really into rap. the type of people that subscribe to the vibe and never read the source. the same types that were also big on acts like the fugees & common - even tho his chit don't sell like that. none of these artists file under the same style/image/whatever. its not about that. if youre not up on what I'm talking about(and you clearly aren't), then you shouldn't be arguing.

that's the majority of outkast's black fanbase. them and rap purists. neither of those groups f*ck with southern hip-hop. hence the reason why outkast are moreso in the same boat as arrested development when it comes to not making strides for the south, despite big record sales.

and when I say fanbase, I'm talking fans. I'm not talking about people that say "theyre dope" or like a song here-n-there, or sing-a-long to some of their joints that they know because of radio. I'm talking about fans.

I ask who "we" is because I'm under the impression that I'm addressing ONE person and not a group. Especially a person that does not represent collective thoughts of a group since many would disagree with much of what you're spewing in this thread. By many, I'm referring to "real heads".

I'm not omnipresent. I can't speak on what people were listening to a national scale especially since I know for a fact that "Watch For The Hook" wasn't as big as the songs that Kast had in rotation at the time. When I reference what was going on locally, it's a touchstone to show I'm not just making up garbage or posturing that it was something that I was actually experiencing. And yes, to even back up what people are listening to NATIONALLY, you're going to need stats. Even if I'm traveling state to state, I'm one person and what I'm hearing people in my circle in different locations does not match what's going on nationally.

There was nothing about Arrested Development that said they were from The South aside from "Tennessee".

OutKast did not inherit the crowd you're referring to. The Fugees inherited their audience. Kast did not. You already had a built in R&B, Neo-Soul, Black office crowd that didn't listen to rap crowd through Lauryn Hill because she also sang. That crowd, Vibe magazine, in particular even advocated her going solo before she went solo. Even down to how much of The Score sounded was eerily similar to Arrested Development's debut down to how Arrested Development came with a re-make of Sly & The Family Stone's "Everyday People" and how The Fugees did the same with "Ready Or Not" and "Killin' Me Softly" (Hip Hop interpretations of The Delfonics and Roberta Flack classics of the same name respectively). Similar style, similar story, and everything. They had the one big album and then nothing (except The Fugees blew up off the sophomore album and not the debut). The Roots also fall into that category. Common (who in my personal opinion sounds a lot like Speech) didn't really gain that audience until Like Water For Chocolate. When Kast came out, they did not sound like some alternative Hip Hop group. It was music that that particular crowd shunned. At best, Kast didn't tap into that audience until they dropped "The Way You Move" and more so Andre's Love Below album.

How exactly did Arrested Development make strides for The South outside of being the most commercially successful group from The South? I'm not simply talking about Kast repping The South because they did more than just rep The South. They gave you Southern culture whether it was through slang or talking specifically about what was going on in The South. I don't really recall Arrested Development giving listeners a virtual tour of Atlanta or painting a picture of The South the way that Southernplayalistic did especially since Kast talked about things that you weren't going to get from an Arrested Development album.

Again, you're generalizing with this majority talk. You don't have anything relevant to back that up.

OutKast and Arrested Development aren't in the same boat. Purists don't even acknowledge Arrested Development. I've seen people write them off in the same manner as The Fugees except they are treated far worse. You're likely to see purists talk about Kast's first three albums. The Score is even talked about even praised as a classic. Let someone mention Arrested Development's debut and people look at you like you committed a cardinal sin and often people use "Mr. Wendel" to write off the group as a whole.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
you typed all that and you clearly didn't get the gist of what i was saying at all.

this guy doesn't understand anything in any thread.:wow:

its like he has some sort of disability. my bad if you do breh but hot damn. its like I'm talking to a wall.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you typed all that and you clearly didn't get the gist of what i was saying at all.

this guy doesn't understand anything in any thread.:wow:

its like he has some sort of disability. my bad if you do breh but hot damn. its like I'm talking to a wall.

I get what you're implying, but it's way off base. You don't inherit an artist's fan base if you don't share similarities with that artist.

If you feel that strongly about it, I challenge you to make a thread about Kast inheriting Arrested Development's fan base. Put your reasoning (your posts from this thread) in the OP and see if the majority of posters don't respond the same way I did.