Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
bu bu but before it was "who is WE?"

ice cream man got airplay where? the same places as UGK?:laugh: and the UGK song wasnt no dam single.

as for the bolded: you CLEARLY werent around back then and dont know what the f*ck youre talking about. the south sold more records in '97-00 than they did in any other time period. and they were blowing up from everywhere after no limit put it down. and thats what opened the door for all that mid-00s(not early, its mid) chit that youre trying to push in here. thats probably when you got into rap.

Greg Street, one of the biggest DJ's down here was spinning "Bout It, Bout It 2" and "Break Em Off Somethin".

Artists all over were selling more records in '97-'00. That's common knowledge. There's diamond albums that dropped during that period and you had the likes of DMX and Jay Z consistently selling 3 million records and above. The South was selling records, but not one artist from down here could ever lay claim to being the biggest rapper in the game like Wayne, T.I., Ludacris, and Rick Ross were. You had Lil' Wayne outselling everybody in 2008. Same with T.I. in '06. Rick Ross was everywhere from 2010-2012. Southern artists were topping charts and a lot of them were new. As wack as some of these records were ("Laffy Taffy" for starters), they were getting burn everywhere. You had Crunk, you had Snap, you had Trap, and you had Screwed. You had artists like Young Joc, Dem Franchize Boys, and a lot of others coming out of nowhere with huge records.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Greg Street, one of the biggest DJ's down here was spinning "Bout It, Bout It 2" and "Break Em Off Somethin".

Artists all over were selling more records in '97-'00. That's common knowledge. There's diamond albums that dropped during that period and you had the likes of DMX and Jay Z consistently selling 3 million records and above. The South was selling records, but not one artist from down here could ever lay claim to being the biggest rapper in the game like Wayne, T.I., Ludacris, and Rick Ross were. You had Lil' Wayne outselling everybody in 2008. Same with T.I. in '06. Rick Ross was everywhere from 2010-2012. Southern artists were topping charts and a lot of them were new. As wack as some of these records were ("Laffy Taffy" for starters), they were getting burn everywhere. You had Crunk, you had Snap, you had Trap, and you had Screwed. You had artists like Young Joc, Dem Franchize Boys, and a lot of others coming out of nowhere with huge records.

yea, that was the sales boom. something that no limit played a huge role in. they werent just beneficiaries.
and a slew of un-related artists from the south blew up off the interest that no limit sparked.

nobody went diamond tho, except biggie's double album.

rap was different in those other years breh. the south was topping the charts because they were virtually the only rappers on, and thats one of the reasons why sales went down. you really dont want to take it there.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yea, that was the sales boom. something that no limit played a huge role in. they werent just beneficiaries.
and a slew of un-related artists from the south blew up off the interest that no limit sparked.

nobody went diamond tho, except biggie's double album.

rap was different in those other years breh. the south was topping the charts because they were virtually the only rappers on, and thats one of the reasons why sales went down. you really dont want to take it there.

:laff: No Limit didn't play a huge role in no sales boom. There was a host of artists that were selling far more than any No Limit artist in No Limit's peak. Rappers were going multi-platinum like it was nothing before No Limit was even a thing. They were beneficiaries.

The South wasn't topping the charts because they were virtually the only rappers on. There was more than just The South in those years. The decline in sales had nothing to do with The South and more to do with music moving to digital formats vs. physical copies. It's something the industry is still trying to adapt to.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:laff: No Limit didn't play a huge role in no sales boom. There was a host of artists that were selling far more than any No Limit artist in No Limit's peak. Rappers were going multi-platinum like it was nothing before No Limit was even a thing. They were beneficiaries.

The South wasn't topping the charts because they were virtually the only rappers on. There was more than just The South in those years. The decline in sales had nothing to do with The South and more to do with music moving to digital formats vs. physical copies. It's something the industry is still trying to adapt to.

rappers went multi-plat for years before the boom too.

again, youre showing your age.

and the digital formats still arent moving big numbers, are they?:sas1:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
rappers went multi-plat for years before the boom too.

again, youre showing your age.

and the digital formats still arent moving big numbers, are they?:sas1:

I'm showing my age? You're in here claiming that a sales boom in rap was spear-headed by No Limit. Now you're claiming that rappers went multi-plat before the boom. You're the one who mentioned a sales boom. I was pointing to the period when The South dominated Hip Hop which didn't occur until the early '00's notably '03.

No digital formats aren't moving big numbers, which is why I said the industry is STILL TRYING to ADAPT to it.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I'm showing my age? You're in here claiming that a sales boom in rap was spear-headed by No Limit. Now you're claiming that rappers went multi-plat before the boom. You're the one who mentioned a sales boom. I was pointing to the period when The South dominated Hip Hop which didn't occur until the early '00's notably '03.

No digital formats aren't moving big numbers, which is why I said the industry is STILL TRYING to ADAPT to it.

i didnt say they spear-headed it. im saying they played a role. people were coppin random no limit albums like trading cards. the boom started to really take off after that.

youre not even aware of all the south labels and artists that were poppin up at the time. i dont know why youre still trying to speak on this.

and listen man. people can blame technology and all that chit all they want. but the #1 reason why sales went down is because the industry lost the trust of the consumer with the quality going down and then the quality eventually taking a HUGE dip when all the monopolies took hold of the industry. at that point, you couldnt even pay alot of dedicated consumers themselves to check for most of the chit coming out.

Daps

Look man. You are way left on stuff thats common knowledge. P had the biggest INDEPENDENT RAP LABEL period. If it had that gold tank on the album cover it was either gold or platinum with or without radio play or visuals. I seen it with my own eyes. He had a deal with Priority where he recieved 100% ownership of all masters.

P pioneered music and business. Little known fact: Jay Z was an artist on Priority Records at the same time as P and they put Jay Z on the back burner for P. This is during the Reasonable Doubt period. That show you how powerful P was.

Nobody in the south was selling more than No Limit until Cash Money came. The rest is history as far southern rap artist.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Look man. You are way left on stuff thats common knowledge. P had the biggest INDEPENDENT RAP LABEL period. If it had that gold tank on the album cover it was either gold or platinum with or without radio play or visuals. I seen it with my own eyes. He had a deal with Priority where he recieved 100% ownership of all masters.

P pioneered music and business. Little known fact: Jay Z was an artist on Priority Records at the same time as P and they put Jay Z on the back burner for P. This is during the Reasonable Doubt period. That show you how powerful P was.

Nobody in the south was selling more than No Limit until Cash Money came. The rest is history as far southern rap artist.

yup.

except i dont think anybody ever dethroned no limit's sales out the south.

low-key juvenile was the only super-seller on cash money.

Daps
yup.

Im saying Cash Money dethroned them by default because Beats by the Pound and all the artists left. They start selling more than No Limit in 98-00 but not overall at that time. No Limit had way more artists.

And yes 400 Degrees is still Cash Money's most impactful album ever.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

All these things were things that I acknowledged in this thread if you read through the posts.

Yes, P was definitely a pioneer on the business side. Musically, Master P didn't pioneer anything that you couldn't hear from UGK or Eightball & MJG that came before.

And yes the Jay Z thing and the Master P thing is something that anybody hardly acknowledges, but P was arguably bigger than Reasonable Doubt Jay during the time that they were lable mates. I still wouldn't use that as a measuring stick for No Limit's success because Reasonable Doubt Jay wasn't yet a powerful force.

Nobody in the South was selling more than OutKast until Ghetto D (that and 400 Degreez were the only Southern albums to sell more than Kast in the 90's). In terms of nobody in the South selling more than No Limit, Master P was the only multi-platinum on No Limit. The other multi-platinum artist on No Limit was Snoop. Ghetto D was the only album that was sold more than anybody was selling in The South at the time. Aquemini sold as much as Da Last Don (the other multi-platinum No Limit album) and Da Last Don.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yup.

WRONG.

Stankonia sold more than any album ever released on No Limit.

And if you're saying Juve's the only super-seller on CMR, then Master P and an already multi-platinum Snoop (who was doing numbers before No Limit) were the only super-sellers on No Limit and that's high key.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
WRONG.

Stankonia sold more than any album ever released on No Limit.

And if you're saying Juve's the only super-seller on CMR, then Master P and an already multi-platinum Snoop (who was doing numbers before No Limit) were the only super-sellers on No Limit and that's high key.

:heh:

1. stankonia came out YEARS later.
2. it was more of a r&b/pop success than a hip-hop one. especially not a W for southern hip-hop. nobody copped stankonia and said, "man now i gotta go check out that new project pat record".:laugh:

ehh that 400 degreez comment wasnt meant for you breh. youre trying to apply it to your argument, and it doesnt translate.(you were in here downplaying cash money all thru the thread anyway).

but i'll respond to your comment. we bought snoop albums cuz hes snoop, and we held out hope that he could rekindle the flame from doggystyle. he was absolutely not as popular as mystikal & silkk the shocker in the late '90s.and for the millions of people that followed the tank, there were alot of other people that were held in higher regard than snoop on that label.

All these things were things that I acknowledged in this thread if you read through the posts.

Yes, P was definitely a pioneer on the business side. Musically, Master P didn't pioneer anything that you couldn't hear from UGK or Eightball & MJG that came before.

And yes the Jay Z thing and the Master P thing is something that anybody hardly acknowledges, but P was arguably bigger than Reasonable Doubt Jay during the time that they were lable mates. I still wouldn't use that as a measuring stick for No Limit's success because Reasonable Doubt Jay wasn't yet a powerful force.

Nobody in the South was selling more than OutKast until Ghetto D (that and 400 Degreez were the only Southern albums to sell more than Kast in the 90's). In terms of nobody in the South selling more than No Limit, Master P was the only multi-platinum on No Limit. The other multi-platinum artist on No Limit was Snoop. Ghetto D was the only album that was sold more than anybody was selling in The South at the time. Aquemini sold as much as Da Last Don (the other multi-platinum No Limit album) and Da Last Don.

youre confusing influence with being a pioneer.

and a master p record had way more to offer than a UGK or 8ball & MJG record. come on man. thats one of the reasons why he got to where he is, while the others stayed on base.

before no limit, the top-sellers out of the south were not outkast. it was arrested development.

and youre too stuck on sales(altho, i now notice that you stick to sales out of convenience). niccas didnt really care about aquemini breh.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:heh:

1. stankonia came out YEARS later.
2. it was more of a r&b/pop success than a hip-hop one. especially not a W for southern hip-hop. nobody copped stankonia and said, "man now i gotta go check out that new project pat record".:laugh:

ehh that 400 degreez comment wasnt meant for you breh. youre trying to apply it to your argument, and it doesnt translate.(you were in here downplaying cash money all thru the thread anyway).

but i'll respond to your comment. we bought snoop albums cuz hes snoop, and we held out hope that he could rekindle the flame from doggystyle. he was absolutely not as popular as mystikal & silkk the shocker in the late '90s.and for the millions of people that followed the tank, there were alot of other people that were held in higher regard than snoop on that label.

and a master p record had way more to offer than a UGK or 8ball & MJG record. come on man. thats one of the reasons why he got to where he is, while the others stayed on base.

before no limit, the top-sellers out of the south were not outkast. it was arrested development.

and youre too stuck on sales(altho, i now notice that you stick to sales out of convenience). niccas didnt really care about aquemini breh.

1. You said you didn't think anyone ever dethroned No Limit sales wise. It happened and OutKast was one of the artists that did it.
2. Act like Ghetto D or any album that's multi-platinum is multi-platinum solely based on the genre it was released in.

How many people are you? Speak for yourself bruh. All this posturing you're doing to represent the entire culture only makes you look schizo by using "we" to refer to YOU.

Again, Mystikal and Silkk were not as popular as a Snoop Dogg in the late 90's. That's by far the most ludicrous claim you've made in this thread. And that's actually saying a lot.

A Master P record having way more to offer than a UGK or 8Ball & MJG record is laughable. As a fan of Master P and No Limit in general, I'm not naive enough to dismiss the fact that most of the songs on those albums were re-treads. Some of them were even re-treads of previous No Limit songs. That's one of the things that ultimately ruined No Limit.

Don't even bring Arrested Development up when you just dapped a post that said "Nobody in the South was selling like that before No Limit". Now if you want to bring that one Arrested Development album into the equation, just know that completely nullifies the point you attempted to make about Stankonia's sales being Pop/R&B because if you're going with that logic (which is faulty), it's contradictory. Also no album from No Limit at any point in time sold more than the Arrested Development album in question and you also need to point this out to the poster you dapped.

Nobody cared about Aquemini? Just say you didn't care about it and keep it moving. You don't have anything to back up such a ridiculous claim other than your own opinion.

I stick to sales out of convenience? I'm not even the one who brought it up. Now you on the other hand, the culture guy that disregards and downplays sales, is in here dapping up a post that brought up sales and then made it a point that nobody dethroned No Limit sales wise.

Last edited: